PDA

View Full Version : Silver (Both Kinds), V Nickel, & Nice Relic

z118
06-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I had an odd weekend detecting wise, but still managed some nice finds and a few keepers.

Saturday I headed to a school that seems to give up almost entirely pennies, but I still hunt there because it has also yielded a good number of silver dimes as well as two coins from the 1800's. I was hoping for some silver, if only a Rosie. But it was not to be. I kept pulling penny after stinking penny. Deep ones too... there are few things more annoying than Lincolns at 6-8. I did manage a few wheats but the non stop pennies really had me gettig irritated, and I was muttering things under my breath about the kids at this school and their aversion to quarters. So what do you suppose I dig next? 49 Lincolns in one hole! Perfectly stacked some 4 down, with the paper wrapper almost completely decomposed. Unbelieveable. Clearly the guy upstairs was teasing me.

I hit a few more schools on Saturday, mostly sticking to the dirt but hunting a few tot lots too, and then the same thing on Sunday. Oddly enough I drove some 25 miles on Sunday to a small town school that I had only hunted once before. I did alright, but just as I was about to leave a guy pulls up, gets out of his car, and immediately starts walking across the field towards me. I was certain he was going to be a groundskeeper or something telling me I couldn't be there. Turns out he was another detectorist... we chatted for a bit, and oddly enough he turned out to be from the town right next to mine. He asked if I was on any forums and when I said yes he asks Are you z11:eyebrow: lol That made me laugh. We talked for a bit longer after which I headed home. Hopefully we'll be able to get together some time soon... he told me he's been detecting for 20 years!

Total for the weekend was 240 coins (152 of which were Lincolns!) worth $18.66, which includes a 1972 half, 9 wheat pennies, an 1899 nickel, and a '46 dime. The V nickel sure was a nice find for me and oddly enough is my second 1899 nickel this year. Other keepers include a SWEET old New York Licensed Chauffuer Expires July 1st, 1927. I'm real pleased with this find... I'd like to figure our exactly what this license was for... do they mean chaffuer the way I think of chauffer? Or was this for all drivers? And insight would be great. I also dug a nice silver ring comprised of three rings looped together. And of course the usual junk - a key, some shells, buttons, trinkets etc.

I'm hoping to get out again tonight and dig up enough clad to put me over a fat milestone for my detecting career thus far... you know I'll post about it if I do!

Happy hunting!

angellionel
06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Sweet digs, Z! That is a very good assortment of finds. The chauffeur license is one of those once in a blue moon finds. That is definitely a keeper.

Ill Digger
06-21-2010, 01:54 PM
First off... :shocked04: 152 PENNIES?!!Whoa !! You did some serioue diggin' over the weekend!!
The chauffer licence is a cool find! A friend of mine found one last summer, his was aluminum.
The V and silver Rosie are great finds!! And the silver ring is super cool! I never understude how a 3 piece ring works?
And the gold ring? Looks pretty shinny...is it not real?
Man you got all kinds a goodies thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

randy
06-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, I hope your dirt isn't as rock hard as ours is. You must be tired.

ProPointer
06-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Sick Digs Z, Very Interesting Tag :peace:

coinnut
06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd call that some very sucessful hunting. You got teased by the penny Gods lol Like we all do from time to time :rolleyes: But you also got rewarded with an old V, some silver and the Chauffuer badge which I always assumed was a special license. Now you have me thinking it may be just like our regular license is today :confused: But a super hunt, lots of digging :blackeye: and a good amount of clad for the pile. Nice digs :clapping:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
very nice finds.i'm likin that chauffers badge! nice silver too! <: