PDA

View Full Version : Park hunt with Lee - 11/8

Trooper Bri
11-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Think this was trip #4 with the British Bulldog. Lee's a blast to detect with, so always a good time. And couldn't ask for much of a better day.

It was my turn again to pick a spot for us to hunt, which is tough in consideration of Lee's experience versus mine, but had a place in mind I know he likes. Huge park, big trees, and a bit of history. Was hoping there would be a bit of silver too.
So, off we went this morning, and settled into it. Only took a few minutes to find a 1966 dime. That's a decent sign. Worked the area and whacked more clad and Lincolns. Some shallow, but many coming in 4-5 inches down.

Get a holler from Lee maybe 1/2 hour into it, he's found a button. A 2-piece in nice shape. The letter P on the front, and "superior quality" on the back. Have to poke around for an ID later unless someone knows.

We start wandering a bit more, but it's more of the same. Clad, and Lincolns at the same depth. Think at this point Lee wonders out loud how much deeper the wheats and silver are.
Finally we cut bait and wandered to a different area, with pretty much the same results. So I stopped detecting for a bit to do a depth test with my V3i. The last park Lee and I hit, the detector had issues ID'ing a silver dime at 5". Was pretty sure it didn't like the park/area, but want to be sure.
Brought a silver quarter and dime along, and buried the quarter 10" down. I didn't expect much in the stock C&J program, and wasn't disappointed. Dead silence. Raising the gain up to 10 brought it in. Deep Silver had no problem with it at 10". The stock C&J picked up the quarter at 8", not too bad. Same results with the silver dime. I've still got a lot to learn about the detector of course.

Catch up with Lee, and we wander a bit more. Maybe 4 hours into the hunt I get a big holler from him. He's got the edge of a large silver disc starting at him from the bottom of the hole. Oh baby! Jump over there, and take a pic before the unveiling.

Out it comes and.... it's big and silverish.
A circa 1991 one dollar gaming token redeemable at the Burns Brothers truck stop in Mill City Nevada. Ironically, at the bottom of the obverse side, are the letters HH. Lee didn't look happy at that particular moment. :lol: Sorry for the letdown bud.
Looks like they were a truck stop chain, and eventually absorbed by TravelCenters of America in 1998.

Off we went again for a couple more hours with the same story. Clad and Lincolns, no silver, and I bagged the lone wheatie not long before we walked out. 1950. Nothing exciting for me except a matchbox car at 10".
May hit this place again or somewhere else with Lee tomorrow. Got to give him a ring in the AM if the weather looks OK. Congrats on the button mate!

aloldstuff
11-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice post and sorry about the lack of finds. I can definitely say that you didn't throw in the towel. That last picture is great. I texted Lee about 2:30 to see how you guys were doing but I got no response :dontknow:. Some parks just behave badly, hope tomorrow works out better for ya's.

Wish I could join you tomorrow but work beckons...:girlcry:

Trooper Bri
11-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm not too disappointed. Think I came up just short of a Leslie quota. Maybe next year I won't be as satisfied.

Didn't realize you hunted parks Al. Had you pegged as a field/cellar guy. Sorry you couldn't make it along this weekend.

Jayson's Treasure Hunting
11-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Nice post and pictures, better luck next time.

Digger Don
11-08-2014, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you had a good hunt. It's always nice hunting with a friend.
Best of luck tomorrow.

lee
11-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Nice post and sorry about the lack of finds. I can definitely say that you didn't throw in the towel. That last picture is great. I texted Lee about 2:30 to see how you guys were doing but I got no response :dontknow:. Some parks just behave badly, hope tomorrow works out better for ya's.

Wish I could join you tomorrow but work beckons...:girlcry:
you texted me ?????? al my ol mate i hate to tell you this but i dont have a cell phone so who the hell where you texting you crazy mixed up yank ?????.

bri a pleasure as always , and that coin made my heart stop a few times think it was a Morgan but hay hoo my time will come.
gis a bell in the morning and we will see how the weathers looking , anyone else fancy joining us feel free to msg me or the bri bloke.

aloldstuff
11-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Lee, the phone # I have for you, is that not a cell? If not I'll have to change it in my phone.

lee
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
the number you have for me al is lan line mate.

wisconsin digger
11-09-2014, 10:04 AM
A slow day of detecting is still better than a good day of work. Beautiful landscape picture. Woke up to SNOW on the ground in Wisconsin so days like that will be welcome once the ground freezes. Keep digging WD

mownomo
11-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Nice story. I kinda feel lucky to just find something other than trash. Maybe I'll get tired of clad some day, but for now it's all good. BTW the trees changing makes me envious of your hardwoods. Thanks for sharing.

aloldstuff
11-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm not too disappointed. Think I came up just short of a Leslie quota. Maybe next year I won't be as satisfied.

Didn't realize you hunted parks Al. Had you pegged as a field/cellar guy. Sorry you couldn't make it along this weekend.

We will get together someday. Yes, I love parks. RobW and myself found one in Springfield that yielded over 200 silvers. Fields I have done pretty well in but as far as cellar holes, only done one maybe two.

MangoAve
11-10-2014, 08:08 AM
anyone else fancy joining us feel free to msg me

I thought you said you have no cell phone... :lol: When you put numbers in the cell and someone calls you that you don't want to answer, you ignore it. :lol: And don't give work you # so they don't bug you. BUT...it works to make plans easier for getting to detect.

RobW and myself found one in Springfield that yielded over 200 silvers.

I live like 7 min from there. Since you already put the name of the city... I knew early history here, Springfield, Windsor, and Hartford were the three main cities with a road connecting between them. I never overlayed the old map to see what used to be in the locaiton.