PDA

View Full Version : Mding with Tony Two-Cent and got some keepers

Full Metal Digger
11-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Hey Diggers,
Today is probably the last warm day for a week or so (thanks to the polar vortex!) and Tony was able to drive down and meet me for some MDing. We hit some older parks that I found on Google Earth. Of course, Tony was the first on the board with silver. We ended up at a little park that was adjacent to an abandoned 1920s brick school house. The school yard was on private property so we did not get to look there. The little park was probably part of the school yard at one time. I was getting quite a few wheat cents before I hit my first silver. It was a war nickel in great condition (my 4th this year). I also got a nice 12-12 signal at 6 inches and was happy to get a 1900 V nickel. Later I got a very faint squeak at 9 inches deep and popped a mercury dime. It must have been on edge because the signal was SO tiny and faint. My best find of the day was an 1851 Austrian 1 Kreuzer. It's fairly corroded so I am attaching a pic of what it should look like! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

The Rebel
11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
WTG on the keepers. That Kreuzer is pretty neat!

Digger Don
11-09-2014, 08:29 PM
Another great hunt you guys had. Congrats on the Silvers.
That Kreuzer still looks to be in pretty good shape. Great Find.

POKIE73
11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
looks like a good time was had by you its always better to hunt with freinds the finds are just the bonus congrts on your hunt

Skamaniac
11-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Some nice finds there. I'm envious of the war nickel; still looking for my first.

aloldstuff
11-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Dave, another nice hunt with Tony. Got yourself some nice keepers. Any V, war nickel, merc, or wheats would be welcome in my collection. The Austrian coin, now how did that get there? The wheat's look very clean, any early dates?

I am having a anti polar vortex party and everybody is welcome....:lol:

MangoAve
11-10-2014, 07:46 AM
A Kreuzer from 1851??? I think this might be the most interesting FOREIGN coin on this forum. There has been some strange ones but usually newer from a vacationer, this obvi was from an immigrant in the mid 1800's. Altho, Dave, I just checked it. It was South Germany in 1851. The Austria-Hungary started 1857.

I am having a anti polar vortex party and everybody is welcome....:lol:

Al, what do I need to bring? Lol

Tony Two-Cent
11-10-2014, 09:19 AM
You had some really nice finds yesterday, Dave! I really like that Austrian 1 Kreuzer from 1851! What an interesting coin!

Oesterreich = Austria, and Oesterreichische = Austrian

The "A" mint mark means the coins was minted in Vienna, Austria.

It was a fun day. Thanks for inviting me and congrats on your finds!

Full Metal Digger
11-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was a blast MDing with good company. Tony and I usually look for new sites. We are always hopeful that a site will be a metaphoric goldmine. 11 wheat cents and only 4 memorial cents yesterday! I dug 8 wheaties in a row before I hit a modern coin. The dates range from 1914 to 1956. Several are 1920s and 1930s. (The green ones are the older ones).

Now here is your amazing coin trivia for the day: The green wheat cents have green patina because they are bronze and were made from melted down 2-cent coins that the treasury was still buying back even as late as 1909.

Nesdore
11-10-2014, 12:20 PM
Great Hunt Dave that foreign coin is in great shape lots of detail congrats on a cool coin love the V nickel still looking for my first one......
How do you clean your wheat penny's? They look really clean

Full Metal Digger
11-10-2014, 12:53 PM
How do you clean your wheat penny's? They look really clean

Just running water and gentle cleaning with a brass-bristle brush. Go slowly and in a circular motion. Press too hard and the patina will break away!

MangoAve
11-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Oesterreich = Austria, and Oesterreichische = Austrian
The "A" mint mark means the coins was minted in Vienna, Austria.

Definitely conflicting information on the internet. I did find one site saying the 'A' mint mark was Vienna. I found a site saying the Franz Joseph I era having the first year of minting as 1851. The same site but different page has it start 1858 for the 5/10, 1 and 4 Kreuzer denominations. Another site states Austria-Hungray adapted the Kreuzer 1857 to 1892, which is just a few years after this coin, and the Kreuzer was used in South Germany from 1837 to 1873. The word translated is actually German.

Right from one site with the earliest date being 1858:

The 5/10, 1, and 4 kreuzer coins carry the same inscriptions and devices as shown in our picture. The denomination shows on the side without the double-headed eagle. Four kreuzer pieces were minted only between 1860 and 1864, but the 5/10 and 1 kreuzer coins cover the entire range between 1858 to 1891.

Nesdore
11-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Just running water and gentle cleaning with a brass-bristle brush. Go slowly and in a circular motion. Press too hard and the patina will break away!

Thank you sir will have to try that :thumbsup01:

Ill Digger
11-13-2014, 11:44 PM
:thinkingabout:I must not of clicked the "post reply" button.:dontknow: I read and typed a post for this thread last week. :lol:
Nice collection of finds there Dave! :thumbsup02:
Congrats!! :grin:
Of course I dig the 1851 Austrian 1 Kreuzer the best! :thumbsup01: A old foreign coin is a more welcome find for me any more over a wheatie or something else we find regularly.

Full Metal Digger
11-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Of course I dig the 1851 Austrian 1 Kreuzer the best! :thumbsup01: A old foreign coin is a more welcome find for me any more over a wheatie or something else we find regularly.

I agree it was my best find but NOT as nice as the silver Goshen you dug! Wasn't yours 1854? :poke:

giant056
11-15-2014, 01:41 AM
Excellent bunch of keepers you got there :thumbsup02: