PDA

View Full Version : First field hunt of the year/ Crusty Indian

Digger Don
11-11-2014, 12:04 AM
Alec did some homework on Google earth and found a corn field that was home to a school 130 years ago. We drove about an hour west of our home and found the spot exactly where Alec said it would be. After tracking down the owner and getting permission, we started looking for signs of the the old school. We found some pcs. of glass,bricks and pottery so we figured we were close. We hunted about an hour and a half and other than the usual junk, Alec dug an old crusty Indian Head. We can't get the date off it, so were going with 1877. LOL
After lunch, we tried a school sidewalk strip. Got nothing but clad. Last,but not least, we door knocked at a house from the 1890s. Alec dug a Gold looking Locket & chain and I dug a Sterling Cub Scout Ring. We each dug 1 Wheat Cent.
Not our best outing, but we still had fun.
I hope the snow holds off a while, I'm not done yet :crossfingers:

aloldstuff
11-11-2014, 06:06 AM
That Cub Scout ring is fantastic, especially being sterling silver. Nice find. Yeah, I'd go with the 1877 date on the IH also....:lol:

MangoAve
11-11-2014, 07:24 AM
I was gonna say that IH was crusty, but not as crusty as the '01 that I got. Idk how a layer of the coin can fold inward while the bottom layer is normal. Anyway. I did some picture enhancing and it looks like 1875 or 6. Close enought to a 77. The watch piece is nice as with the ring. I been in cubscouts and I don't remember getting a ring. Just the patches & pins and the slide for the neck scarf. Probably something done earlier in the scouts history. As a comparison, think of what the company you work for and what they used to provide and what they provide now. Holiday parties used to be free with gifts for the children.
The last picture almost looks like a battery terminal. I was hunting a small park in the center of town last week; I pulled up some huge cap and a battery terminal. I got a lot more consistent numbers and more hits this time around versus the last few hunts where the others were getting the silvers. I saw the pic on google street view (or bing) and I saw the work being done. Once I saw it was just adding paving stone walkways I stayed to hunt. But a battery terminal in the back of a park? Who the hell drove a car (or golf cart) up the grass in the center of town and cut off the terminal? Who uses a park as a garage?

Tony Two-Cent
11-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Great research, and nice going rescuing those finds from the farm field, Don and Al!

One possible way to narrow down the date on the Indian Head: If the last feather on the headdress points beween the I and C in the word America then it is a Type I obverse and dates from 1864-1886. If the last feather points between C and A then it is a Type II obverse and dates from 1886-1909.

The silver Cub Scout ring is a great find! I really like the locket too.

It's good that you guys were able to get out for a hunt before the cold weather comes! :frozen:

:congrats:

Digger Don
11-11-2014, 12:54 PM
It's good that you guys were able to get out for a hunt before the cold weather comes! :frozen:

Thanks Tony. Cold weather's not going to stop us.Frozen Ground, MAYBE. LOL

mownomo
11-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Nice finds. Especially the ring. Some of the boys in our my sons' pack had that ring. Sort of an option if you had the money. Cub Masters & Den Mothers usually got a similar one as gifts from the Pack at Christmas. The locket probably has some history. Glad y'all got to hunt again before the really bad weather hits.

MangoAve
11-12-2014, 08:36 AM
This is enhanced and zoomed. I circled in yellow where I see what I believe is a 6. The zoomed in is where you can see the last letter in America versus whole bust (or in relation to last feather). 44348

Fire Fighter 43
11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Congrats on some nice finds, WTG.