PDA

View Full Version : coils

deck60
11-11-2014, 10:23 AM
I am new to detecting so if you could help me a bit it would be a great help

I am interested it what coils will do what

what coils find precious metals silver - gold- ect and what coils will go the deepest with accuracy

I have a garrett at pro

MangoAve
11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
I can give one link. The sponsor of this site would appreciate.
http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/double-d-coil-vs-concentric-coils/
The other I would have had to provide...Well.. They changed the site. It used to have information on the coil types.

Small coils work for trashy areas but you lose depth. Medium are all around general use. Most machines are 'tuned' for the medium size. The DD give you about the depth as a large coil but helps with trashier areas as well. Larger coils go deeper. Large coils and DD you actually loose the accuracy in target depth. The only one thing I can say is the smaller ones are used for prospecting, but unless you are trying to find gold flakes versus rings, I would stick to Med or DD/Large. The machine type plays bigger impact on whether it's used for gold or silver or relics because the frequency plays a larger roll than the coil type for smaller targets.

Tony Two-Cent
11-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Welcome to the forum! Glad you joined us! :yes:

You will find many varying opinions about coils on the internet. My personal opinion is that the stock coil on most machines will be the optimal coil for depth and accuracy. A smaller coil will help with target separation in very trashy areas. The downside to smaller coils is that you lose a little depth. A larger coil will get you more coverage which can be helpful if you're hunting a large area with little trash such as a farm field. You may also get 1"-2" more depth with a larger coil. The downside to larger coils is that they are heavier and can lead to arm fatigue and shoulder pain. They are also difficult to swing in the woods or brushy areas.

In my opinion, aftermarket or alternate coils are not going to produce significantly more finds than your stock coil. One thing for sure, different coils will not help you find specific metals like gold and silver. That is entirely dependent on your machine and your settings. To find gold, you will want to make sure that your discrimination is set only high enough to reject iron, but not so high that it rejects aluminum foil.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will chime in with information specific to your AT Pro.

Best of luck!

Robbie
01-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I was wondering the same thing with my Bounty hunter SS2.Will a 10" coil make a difference than the stock 8" ?

MangoAve
01-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Yes a 10" will go a little deeper and cover more ground. I however am thinking DD to get the coverage and depth of a larger coil but a narrow detect area to get between trash.