PDA

View Full Version : Rod rack repurposed

Trooper Bri
11-12-2014, 09:43 PM
So, one of the things that factored into me finding detecting was that my best friend who got me interested in fishing 15 years ago, isn't interested in fishing much the past few years. Wound up selling off some gear recently as a result, leaving me with a pair of rod racks with vacancies.

Had my ah-ha moment this weekend while getting the place ready for cold season. Consolidated my rod/reels on one rack in the upstairs hallway, and repurposed the one downstairs in my mini-den to get the detectors off the floor.
These are the Cabelas 6-rod oak holders. I've got them in the wall with anchors, so no worries about the detectors hanging on them. Stopped at the local hardware store after work today and wandered around until something caught my eye. Brass plated S-hook extensions for hanging plants, 9 dollars. Bent the small side at a 90 degree angle, and opened up the fat end to hang the detectors off. Quick and easy. My two favorite things.

Before:

S-hooks:

After:

Skamaniac
11-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Pretty slick. :thumbsup01: I'd find a way to hang mine up if it ever left my truck. If the winter gets bad this year I'll have to do something similar to get it out of the cold.

mownomo
11-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Neat idea. I can just see my wife's face if I brought those "Darn Noise Makers" in the house:hystericallaugh: That's what my dog house is for. :)

MangoAve
11-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Nice idea Bri. I wonder if they have a low capacity rack/hook at HD, tho. I have some fishing gear but no rod racks as I wasn't quite avid in the hobby. A few years back when I bought a weed whacker I had to find a way to keep it off the garage floor and found a rack that could hold it up right and was pretty beefy. Down side is that the gas drains from line back into tank so it has to be primed every time. Since my car has been dirty this summer I just left my equipment in there. I still have the recent strange crunk in my bag I just havent bothered to take out.

Pretty slick. :thumbsup01: I'd find a way to hang mine up if it ever left my truck. If the winter gets bad this year I'll have to do something similar to get it out of the cold.

Ska, you really don't have to worry much about winter. You can store electronics at temps well below what you get during the winter there in WA. But, why carry it around when you know you won't use it? More chance to have it go missing. I used to take mine out at the beginning of the summer, but for the random times I could leave straight from work to detect, I just decided to leave it in.... for the summer tho. And I do see how some might baby their machines a bit and would worry if it got cold.

Skamaniac
11-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Ska, you really don't have to worry much about winter. You can store electronics at temps well below what you get during the winter there in WA. But, why carry it around when you know you won't use it? More chance to have it go missing. I used to take mine out at the beginning of the summer, but for the random times I could leave straight from work to detect, I just decided to leave it in.... for the summer tho. And I do see how some might baby their machines a bit and would worry if it got cold.

I hunt all winter long except when it's been frozen for too long or there's snow on the ground. So about 2/3 of the winter I can go out. I just notice the LED looks sluggish when it's cold. My mobile ham radio in the truck does the same thing. Doesn't affect either one, it's just mildly annoying.

Trooper Bri
11-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Like a bunch of guys here, I kinda know when I'm detecting. Weekends. I have tossed one in the car a few times before leaving for work in case I had a chance after work.

But I don't like leaving my gear in the car. Theft and baking/freezing being the major reasons. Plus I like to go through my gear between trips, and have everything ready for the next. Grab and go. Something I learned from fishing. Nothing worse than planning for a day of fun and getting porked by something, or multiple things.
Since I don't have a garage, that den also stores my golf clubs and a bunch of my ice fishing gear.

Got my ticket close to 20 years ago Karl, but never used it. KB1CIH

MangoAve
11-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Nothing worse than planning for a day of fun and getting porked by something, or multiple things.

Even times when grabbing stuff, I have forgotten. Lol. I made the best of it tho. Once or twice it was the probe holder, and once was a belt. The holder kinda needs a belt to work. In my defense of one other time, I noticed just a short distance leaving the house that i didn't have a shovel. Back before I had a few. And it was taken out from the gf planting flowers. With that, I did find a shorty predator for $68 which i have yet to purchase. I like the smaller ones.

Trooper Bri
11-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Last good porking was ice fishing Jim.

Drive 75 minutes to my favorite haunt with my friend Ron. Load up his quad, and drive across the lake in gale force winds to our honey hole. Go to anchor the pop up shelter to the ice and realize the socket for those lag anchors had magically popped off the cordless drill since the last trip and vanished. Back across the lake, jump in the car, and I drove into the closest town hoping a hardware store opened at 7AM on a Sunday. Nope. Called and woke a friend, and raided his garage. Lost a couple hours or so over a 50 cent item.

Skamaniac
11-14-2014, 01:27 AM
Got my ticket close to 20 years ago Karl, but never used it. KB1CIH

That's cool. I'm running 2 meter / 70 cm repeater rig now, but want to set up an 80 meter base unit this summer. K7KWN