PDA

View Full Version : Old Farm Site Finds

Skamaniac
11-14-2014, 05:00 PM
When I say old, I mean pacific northwest old, not east coast old! Site is probably between 1910's to 1940's. I found these two items, I believe they're brass, within inches of each other. Also found a small splitting wedge very close to the these, so maybe a woodshed?

The L shaped piece if 4" long and the other one is 2". Someone at work thought maybe brass bathroom fittings of some kind?

Anyone? Bueller?

Tony Two-Cent
11-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Definitely looks like brackets for a metal rod of some kind. The first thing that came to my mind was part of a stagecoach or carriage, but that's just a wild guess.

fyrffytr1
11-16-2014, 12:19 AM
The one on the right in the last picture looks like a toilet seat bracket.

MangoAve
11-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Fyr. I am thinking the same. I was fixated on the shape/style of the nut. The other piece still had a rod and it looks like there would be a second piece. Guessing something like a metal towel rack that would be bolted to a countertop.

sonofdust
11-16-2014, 03:22 PM
You have two of a set of six hinges of Mr. Crappers invention.
The one with the threads bolts to the pot and the one with the screws goes to the seat.
This style is still made today.
HH

MangoAve
11-16-2014, 04:11 PM
The one with the threads bolts to the pot and the one with the screws goes to the seat.

Duh. Idky I didn't think they were part of same assembly. Wooden seats. Well, unfortunately seeing as the farm is new enough they had plumbing I can't say you found the privy. Still there is a possibility they had one tho.

Skamaniac
11-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Well I'll be! You guys know your toilet hardware! I even found a similar hardware photo on the web.

With this info, I believe I found the house site, or at least very close to it. Now I just have to wait for the snow and ice to go away and will go back and grid search the area. (Although still curious about the splitting wedge...)

sonofdust
11-17-2014, 09:50 AM
I believe the wedge was used to get the door opened fast in weather like this Skamaniac. lol
HH

Skamaniac
11-17-2014, 04:29 PM
I believe the wedge was used to get the door opened fast in weather like this Skamaniac. lol
HH

:lol: