PDA

View Full Version : Two Old Coin Spills in One Hunt!

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I hunted at three different sites today, but it was the third one that really paid off. The first site was a grade school and I only found some clad and 1 Rosie there. The second site was a high school and I found 1 Merc and a few wheaties there.

I headed to the third site at about 2:00 p.m. It is a park between the main street and railroad tracks in a very small town. I had never hunted there before so I wasn't sure what to expect. This site ended up being a real honey hole! I only quit because it got dark but I got TEN silver coins there in 3 hours.

This was the first coin spill I got at this site, a dateless SLQ and a 1906 V Nickel stuck together!

This was the second coin spill, a 1940 Walking Liberty Half and 4 silver Washington Quarters!

Here are all of my coin finds for today:

Twelve silver coins total today:

1907 Indian Head and the 1906 V Nickel:

All of these trade tokens came from the park too:

Wow, what a fun day! :thumbsup01:

Digger Don
11-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Dang Tony, You killed it today. on top of all that silver, you got an Indian, nickel and some pretty cool tokens. :wow:
I'm glad she talked you into detecting today. What a pay off!!!!!!
Good Luck Tomorrow. I assume your going back.

Isaac
11-15-2014, 09:34 PM
Tony... that is a killer day my friend, the half/4 washington quarters is one hell of a spill man... way to go!!!!! Love the piled up coins pics...great hunt. :congrats:

aloldstuff
11-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Tony, now that's the way to do it. Not one but two spills :thumbsup02:. Great pile of keepers and as I have stated before I love to see those tokens posted. Seeing that you and Daddydigger sometimes hunt together I am assuming that you two must be in competition for the most silvers and another assumption would be that you are leading now....Fantastic hunting and I hope that you get back there before old man winter shows his ugly head.

Full Metal Digger
11-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Congrats Tony! I am so glad you found another one of those virgin small-town parks. Those are two GREAT spills (in so many ways). It's interesting that the V nickel was still in circulation to be found with a worn-out SLQ. Was this your biggest silver day based on face value? I'm interested in hearing how they rang up! Again, congrats on a killer hunt. Dave.

Tony Two-Cent
11-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Congrats Tony! I am so glad you found another one of those virgin small-town parks. Those are two GREAT spills (in so many ways). It's interesting that the V nickel was still in circulation to be found with a worn-out SLQ. Was this your biggest silver day based on face value? I'm interested in hearing how they rang up! Again, congrats on a killer hunt. Dave.

Definitely my biggest silver day face value-wise. $2.35

Also the most silver coins in one spill for me, and probably the most face value in one spill.

Both of the spills rang up like silver quarters. Both were very strong/clear signals. The SLQ and V nickel together were about 7" deep. The E-Trac seemed to hone in on the SLQ and ignore the nickel.

The Walker/Washington spill was only about 4" deep and before I dug I thought it might only be a clad quarter. Boy was I wrong!

MangoAve
11-16-2014, 01:17 AM
Wow Tony. You aren't leaving any silver in the ground. Crazy when the Washington's don't turn up that often. I wonder why the spills were so green. The few pennies you found weren't green. And another walker for you. I didn't realize this was started yesterday cuz here we had a tiny bit of snow. Today I went out to get some thermals to get out for the end of the winter before the ground freezes. I had the shoes I been using all summer, not the winter boots, and I was walking around the back of a school and I was feeling the ground being hard. However, the few times I dug before it was dark, the ground was still soft so idk what I was walking on earlier. The shoe soles are thinner so you can tell more what you walk on. And..besides being dark, my hands were freezing. I am thinking to get some gloves. Unfortunately I have to order them. Cabela's, Walmart, Dick's, HD, all carry the specific brand, but none have in stock the small size. Some stores had large. I do have some gloves but they aren't designed for cold.

POKIE73
11-16-2014, 07:05 AM
looks like a good reward for braving the cold shows you are a diehard hunter for sure great finds on all the silver i like the 2 and a half cent token never seen one like it before congrats on yet another great hunt

giant056
11-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!! you kicked some serious tail on that excursion there Tony :thumbsup02:

....................................... :congrats:

Full Metal Digger
11-16-2014, 10:55 AM
I wonder why the spills were so green.

That's a really good question. Any time two metal objects are close to each other in the ground a very weak electrical current flows between them. The silver coins are 10% copper and as the copper electrons flow back and forth between the two coins, tiny bits of copper are deposited on the their surfaces. And of course, over time, the copper tarnishes and turns green. I believe the actual term is galvanic corrosion. HH, Dave.

Mr. Digger
11-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Amazing haul, Tony. Wow.

sonofdust
11-16-2014, 02:09 PM
You certainly took the checkered flag on that race Tony. Way to go !

RIdirtdigger
11-16-2014, 03:07 PM
I was wondering why the coins were green myself but Daddydigger answered that question. AWESOME HUNT, those silver spills are awesome, someone must have been angry with themselves for losing a walker and 4 quarters! :lolsign:

Trooper Bri
11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Those are awesome spills, and a great silver count for the day Tony! Can't imagine you see an SLQ and a V nickel stuck together very often.

Skamaniac
11-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Coins are nice, but I really like the tokens too.

The Rebel
11-17-2014, 09:33 AM
WTG on all of that silver Tony! You had an AWESOME day!

Beartoe
11-17-2014, 09:59 AM
WOW!

Can not imagine how winded I would be after having to do that many Happy Dances all in one day. :happy:

MangoAve
11-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Any time two metal objects are close to each other in the ground a very weak electrical current flows between them. And of course, over time, the copper tarnishes and turns green.

Guess the IHs weren't close to any coin then, just the silvers in the spill.

chief5709
11-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Nice finds Tony Congrats! It won't be much longer and the ground will be hard as a rock.

zrickkid
11-17-2014, 12:48 PM
Daddy Digger really nailed the corrosion aspect of those coins. I am an Engineer and I see that happen all the time when copper pipes are suspended by a metal not of the same type. The interaction causes the copper to leak over a short period of time. Nice hunt Tony and as Don said im sure you'll be going back to that spot.

Tony Two-Cent
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone. It is a site that I'm sure I will be revisiting many times. :yes:

I don't know if I will be able to detect any more this year or not since winter seems to have arrived early. If not, this site will still be there come spring. :thumbsup01:

As I was logging my finds today I realized that I have now found exactly 500 silver coins with my E-Trac. This was my 4th year with it, I bought it in February of 2011. To say that I am impressed with this machine's performance is a serious understatement. To think that I hadn't found a single Seated Liberty coin before I got this machine, and now I have found 17 of them. I never would have believed it could be possible. I love this hobby!

Bethisa2j
11-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Absolutely incredible. I can't wait to find a place like a park or grove that hasn't been heavily detected before. I bet you were just on a supernatural high. Way to go!!!

Nesdore
11-17-2014, 05:37 PM
:happy: :shocked05: WOW WOW WOW Tony what a day you had absolutely incredible definitely a great way to end the year :congrats:

MangoAve
11-17-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm getting gloves and mask and other stuff to go out until the ground freezes. Besides, it will be better to have new gloves (mine are 2 years old) for doing things like bringing in wood and shoveling when it does snow. Not throwing in the towel yet. But with your count I think you can call it quits for the year.

mownomo
11-17-2014, 11:14 PM
You are a brave, but prosperous soul. It certainly paid to brave the cold for all that silver and the beautiful tokens. Congratulations!!!

Ill Digger
11-18-2014, 12:00 AM
:shocked01: Well when you sent me that text saying you had a "awesome day"..... I should've known. :shocked03: :shocked05:
You were right. Wow! What a day!! :perfect10:
Congrats Tony! :grin:

:thinkingabout:You say the SLQ, V spill came in like a quarter. Did you happen to see which coin was on top or closest to the surface? When this happens I often assume which ever coin is closest to the coil is the signal type the detector will give. At least thats how it seems from my experiences.

Bell-Two
11-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Well what can one to say to such a day except.....ah incredible, fantastic, awesome, inspiring, mind boggling, wonderful.....just take your pick! :wow: :congrats: :happy::perfect10:

Tony Two-Cent
11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
You say the SLQ, V spill came in like a quarter. Did you happen to see which coin was on top or closest to the surface? When this happens I often assume which ever coin is closest to the coil is the signal type the detector will give. At least thats how it seems from my experiences.

I couldn't tell which coin was on top. They were both laying loose in my dirt pile, so I don't know how they were situated in the ground.

MangoAve
11-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Tim, I know you are inquiring about this particular find, but I will agree with you on what you have experienced compared to what I have. Even a free air check whatever coin was on top is usually is what the machine reads. Since they are close, tho, it also reads just a tad higher than usual as the total target edges are slightly larger than what the machine expects. This is only speculation based upon my experience.

MIKE54
11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
another killer hunt !

mownomo
11-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Wow, what a pile of cash. If I had your skill/luck, I would be one proud puppy. Congrats Tony. You constantly amaze me.

BTV Digger
11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Great finds Tony! You never cease to amaze me on your finds. DaddyDigger brought up a good point though. We're so used to using the same type/denomination of coins in contemporary times we live in we don't realize that back then the coin varieties were changing more often. Think about it, the Lincoln Cent - been around for what, 105 years, Jeff nickel - 76 years, Roosevelt Dime - 68 years, etc. If you dropped a spill in 1925, you probably had both Mercs and Barbers still in your pocket. A spill in 1916 may even have had a few worn seated dimes. I think folks still honored all of those up to a point.

-John

Lodge Scent
11-21-2014, 06:15 PM
That is one heck of a hunt Tony !!

don in ny
11-22-2014, 07:51 AM
That's one heck of a hunt. A lot of silver no matter how you look at it and both a SLQ and a Walker. This would make anyone's day!

tanacat
11-22-2014, 08:56 AM
:happy:Yay Tony!!!!! Awesome day for you! Thanks Dave for the insight on the coins. A friend dug an 18 coin spill once, we were shocked that the signals were so choppy and weak... Since then I've been less picky about waiting for the good strong signals. You never know... no matter how smart we think our detectors are.

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow , that is one awesome hunt !! You are a master of that E-trac . You're numbers on silver with it have been incredible . What was your last detector previous to the E-trac ?

Fire Fighter 43
11-22-2014, 04:06 PM
WTG Tony, congrats on two very nice spills.