PDA

View Full Version : Old Toys And Nickles Too

Beartoe
11-16-2014, 06:20 PM
I was hunting a field along Onondaga Creek today. This area was once a farm. It has been a school yard and soccer field since the early 60s. I always find clad and periodicaly find some goodies. I have pulled both gold and silver from this patch. Today the field did not disappoint me for my efforts.

In the middle of the soccer field there is a lot of deep garbage. The unofficial dump site is not far from an old beat-up, bullett ridden sign that says "No Dumping". I have dug up some garbage that predates the school by twenty or thirty years. Every now and then I venture into the old dumping area and see what I can find. Today I got a hit that sounded much better than an old can and decided to see what it was. I dug down about six inchs and found this toy car. It was manufactured by Manoil Toy Company from Waverly New York. They made toy cars , airplanes and diecast soldiers during a period from 1929 to 1959.

I am always happy to add a new toy car to my collection and although this one (Six Inch Long) is kinda beat up I figure it will make a nice addition. While admiring my new toy and cleaning off the caked mud, I noticed a round object sticking in the mud. Attached to the car via the mud was a 1905 V Nickle.

:cheering: Whaaa-Whooo! :cheering:

It was a good day to be out hunting.

aloldstuff
11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Nice car and you got a V as a hitchhiker. To me the older cars are a great bonus and look good in any collection. :congrats:on your keepers

Digger Don
11-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Now that's what I call a good spill. A cool car AND a V nickel. Great Job

Skamaniac
11-16-2014, 11:44 PM
What a great hunt you had in one hole!

MangoAve
11-17-2014, 07:44 AM
At least someone besides me and Giant been finding the toy cars. LOL. Congrats on finding the V.