PDA

View Full Version : Didn't realize what I dug earlier...

MangoAve
11-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I knew of a small park in the center of a section of town. At some point I will have to try again to find the old railroad station just down the street at another park. This small park was nearby to a whole slew of houses used for the nearby mill, which is now something like a library. Before I went I had to google map it to figure out where to park, turns out there was a nearby parking area so I didn't need to check. What I did notice from the street view is that they were doing work there. That made me a little worried figuring there would be some fill. The street view had it dug up near the road and one small mound out back with a big dump truck. I got a lot more hits than usual, there, but most were junk. idk how many things rang up like perfect dimes or pennies which were just junk. I found a battery terminal and I thought it was just peculiar but didn't realize. At some point I pulled up this large cap I could read Hudson Six on it. I figured it was from the large equipment that they were doing the work, like a gas cap. Last night I just decided to finally take it out of the backpack and clean it up. It was packed with dirt, and no wonder why. It was found at the back of the park, which brings me to the question how was it there. It is a cap from the Hudson Super six made from a now defunct motor company in detriot. The Super Six was offered in 1926. Pretty sure it wasn't a flat head engine, so the cap would probably be on the valve cover. I then took to a school which was near an old house. I didnt realize at the time but the school was 1925. I was really discrete on what I was gonna dig at the time. There was a large tree by parking lot. Another time....

Bell-Two
11-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Hudson's were the favorite car of John Dillinger, he used to like the Terraplane model because it was faster than any of the cop cars!

MangoAve
11-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Wow interesting Bell. Not something I knew. Too bad it wasn't from his car.. it would be worth something. haha. Either a car was dismantled in the middle of town, up in a park, or people were throwing car parts around.

OxShoeDrew
11-17-2014, 03:02 PM
I guess these are your caps http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-axle-hubcaps-grease-caps-teens-20s-HUDSON-Super-Six-/291284081140?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d1e259f4&vxp=mtr
Cool find!

del
11-17-2014, 03:24 PM
not a pretty piece but pretty neat piece of automobile history Jim :beerbuddy:

Skamaniac
11-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Nice old piece. I always thought the old Hudsons were kind of cool looking, like in the Grapes of Wrath. I like the front end. The newer ones from 40's and 50's were kind of bulbous and heavy looking. Until I watched Pixar's "Cars" with the Hudson Hornet. Now I like those years too. I just had to hear one talk I guess.

HEAVYMETALNUT
11-18-2014, 09:24 AM
very cool piece of early Americana!

MangoAve
11-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Thanks all. Drew, you nailed it. I did see the threaded part inside. Had no idea axels needed grease caps and so huge. I remember my '93 ranger was just a pressed in cap over the bearings (front spindle) and the rear only has a pressed in set of bearings that seal it. Dan, I think I will try to clean it up a bit. I am guessing the black is paint which the ebay Drew posted is gone. Ska, have you watched the planes movie yet? Actually my coworker/friend was checking videos of some car called the white zombie (like the band). Ugly car but they modified it so it beats out a mustang and it's electric. Dave, It got me into the "books" to search about it. Not as deep to find what Bell knew. But still more intrinsic cuz the company is defunct. Lol. Will Saturns become worth something now? :hystericallaugh:

Bell-Two
11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Here is a video showing the unveiling of the Hudson's Essex Terraplane.

http://youtu.be/2yX83mJ-Wmk

and here is a link with photos of Dillinger's car and other interesting tidbits about the Terraplane.

http://www.thomasironworks.com/Hudson/History.htm

Beartoe
11-18-2014, 01:25 PM
A very nice piece of Made IN America. :thumbsup01: