PDA

View Full Version : TRX cover?

Clint in KY
11-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Has anyone tried the cover sold for the TRX on EBay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COVER-FOR-WHITES-TRX-PIN-POINTER-METAL-DETECTING-WHITES-METAL-DETECTOR-/331361562526?pt=US_Metal_Detector_Accessories&hash=item4d26b02f9e

I am curious to know how hard it is to get it out for cleaning. I can see me getting just a little water in it and being trapped inside doing all sorts of ugly to the electronics.

9veater
12-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Haven't tried that, but how about the hrink wrap idea like on the pro pointer on youtube

Clint in KY
12-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Having used Shrink Wrap for many years in the Electronic Industry I have a few problems with it on my PP.

Firstly you have to use heat to get it to shrink. I am not taking the chance that the heat will damage the electronics inside.

Secondly using Shrink Wrap will leave the end open, into which dirt and debris can enter and get between the case and the wrap.

Thirdly it takes a sharp instrument to remove the Shrink Wrap and I do not want to score or cut the plastic case of the PP.

I am going in search of some of the caps that used to come on the ends of the cable rolls when I worked retail in the Electric Department. They were put there to stop water from migrating up the cable. Finding one big enough may be a challenge but the 0000 power cable is about the same size. In fact there is a fellow somewhere selling "Protective Caps for the TRX" which look very similar. I can not find the posting again.

MartinL
12-23-2014, 01:28 AM
Having used Shrink Wrap for many years in the Electronic Industry I have a few problems with it on my PP.

Firstly you have to use heat to get it to shrink. I am not taking the chance that the heat will damage the electronics inside.

Secondly using Shrink Wrap will leave the end open, into which dirt and debris can enter and get between the case and the wrap.

Thirdly it takes a sharp instrument to remove the Shrink Wrap and I do not want to score or cut the plastic case of the PP.

I am going in search of some of the caps that used to come on the ends of the cable rolls when I worked retail in the Electric Department. They were put there to stop water from migrating up the cable. Finding one big enough may be a challenge but the 0000 power cable is about the same size. In fact there is a fellow somewhere selling "Protective Caps for the TRX" which look very similar. I can not find the posting again.

I used shrink wrap which I bought from a forum member and used them on my propointers. Sand did eventually migrate inside through the end but it was slow. As far as the heat when applying...You are only hitting it for 20-30 seconds so the pointer never saw a treat inside. The shrinking is fast. Removing the skin isn't destructive. Just pearce the shrink on either end where it's open and peel away. The shrink is a little brittle from the shrinking making it easy to peel away.

I don't use them anymore but have several laying around. I quit worrying about wear and tear. I'm the kind of person who "uses" equipment such as pointers and coils without covers. To each their on. Heat shrink does keep'em looking new.