PDA

View Full Version : Quick trip to the hunted out park = Success!

Full Metal Digger
11-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Hey diggers,
I didn't think I was going to be able to get out today but I got my honey-do list done early and the rain had not started yet. I went to an old park here in my hometown. It's not even a city block in size but it dates back to about 1905. Of course, it has been detected to death over the years. The only coins I ever find are usually masked by iron (there is hardly any trash in this park).

I spent an hour and a half and found some modern coins and 3 good keeps. The first good keeper rang up 12-34 at 9 inches deep but wouldn't lock on. Lots of iron all around it so I dug mostly on a whim. What a great feeling it is when you scoop the dirt out of the hole for an iffy signal and your probe starts chirping! I was very happy to see a 1909-O barber dime! That's the 5th silver I have gotten out of there in 4 years!

Later, I got a 10-32 at 10 inches and thought it sounded like an Indian head cent. It's really toasted though and I can't tell if it's 1862, '82, or '92!

About 30 feet away I got a solid 10-34 at 7 inches and popped out a nice 8-sided token. When I got it home and cleaned up I was very happy to see it was for a hotel! Here's what I found from a 1913 newspaper story:

The Eagle Saloon is conducted by Mr. Robert Schmidt and is also known as the first and last chance saloon because of its location. It is at the extreme eastern end of Main street and all farmers and others from that direction must pass his place of business going and coming. Mr. Schmidt has been in business for the past 15 years, and has one of the most up-to-date saloons in the city. He handles Western Beer and all the leading brands of bottled beer. He also carries a fine line of cigars and the leading brands of whiskey and wines.

Here is some pics. Thanks for looking and HH! Dave.

BTV Digger
11-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Cool hotel/saloon token. Love those things!

-John

Digger Don
11-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Nice Digs Dave. That token is cool ,I like that you always add the history in your post.
The Barber is nice also. The Indian looks like it was in a battle. :lolsign: AND LOST

Isaac
11-22-2014, 08:17 PM
Love the token Dave... very nice piece of history :thumbsup02:

The Injdain head looks like an 1893 to me... very nice hunt there :) Way to go on all those keepers. :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
11-22-2014, 08:24 PM
I'm glad you were able to get out for a hunt after all, Dave. You came home with some nice keepers. I really like the token and the Barber Dime. Pretty cool that you were able to find that the Eagle Saloon was founded in 1898.

:congrats:

Full Metal Digger
11-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Cool hotel/saloon token. Love those things!

-John

Thanks. I have found a few bar tokens but this is my first hotel token.

Nice Digs Dave. That token is cool ,I like that you always add the history in your post.
The Barber is nice also. The Indian looks like it was in a battle. :lolsign: AND LOST

Thanks. I try to find some information that makes the find a little more interesting. It's amazing what can be Googled!

Love the token Dave... very nice piece of history :thumbsup02:

The Injdain head looks like an 1893 to me... very nice hunt there :) Way to go on all those keepers. :congrats:

Thanks guy, I appreciate the kind words.

I'm glad you were able to get out for a hunt after all, Dave. You came home with some nice keepers. I really like the token and the Barber Dime. Pretty cool that you were able to find that the Eagle Saloon was founded in 1898.

:congrats:

Thanks Tony. It was that little park next to the house that was built from the left-over lumber from the 1904 World's Fair. My nickel counts are really going up since I adopted your methods of detecting!

del
11-24-2014, 04:02 AM
great results for such a short time detecting Dave ... i'm starting to hate people like you :lol:

congrats on the barber and sweet token :clapping:

MangoAve
11-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Nice barber. That Injun was beat pretty bad. I thought the chemicals they put on the lawns only affected the zincolns that much. Those have to be the most cheaply made coin ever. A token for a hotel is different.. It's not for trade or a market.

Skamaniac
11-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Cool token! Some other cool items as well. Nice work.