PDA

View Full Version : Back to "Coin Spill Park" for more silver

Tony Two-Cent
11-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I didn't think I was going to be able to go metal detecting today. I had to work until noon and I figured it would be raining all afternoon. Alas, the rain held off so I decided to head back to "Coin Spill Park" this afternoon.

I have a love/hate relationship with this park. There are many silver coins to be found, but they come out of the ground badly tarnished and/or pitted. Must be something in the soil.

Nevertheless I had a fun afternoon and found 7 more silver coins, 5 Mercs and 2 Washingtons. I also found 9 wheat cents and a few interesting relics.

Only one token this time:

I thought this fob was kinda neat:

Fairly large eagle button:

The watch piece appears to be gold plated on one side:

Both of the toy cars are relatively modern:

Today's junk:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
11-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Great job Tony. That's a great haul for an afternoon. You're right, That FOB is pretty cool.
The Button is cool also. Any idea on it's age?
And of course, Congrats on all the Silver!!

Full Metal Digger
11-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Awesome finds Tony! I have never seen such bad looking silver before. It's like they have been exposed to a solvent of some sort. Perhaps the soil there is full PCBs or something equally unhealthy! The Fob is definitely a cool find. The Great Seal button looks WW2 or later to me judging by the back. Do you think the park only dates back to the 40's? I have not seen that scatter tag before either. Is the little heart sterling? Great finds. I'm glad you are having such a good November. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Trooper Bri
11-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Cool fob and eagle button Tony. Very nice pile of silver and wheaties. That is some odd soil indeed.

The Rebel
11-23-2014, 05:50 AM
WTG Tony on some nice scores! Perhaps that weird thing was a dentures holder at nighttime :rofl:

aloldstuff
11-23-2014, 07:38 AM
Another very nice hunt Tony. I can see what you mean about the silvers coming out all pitted and I hope that Daddydiggers thoughts about PCB's is not so. The DeLaval watch fob is a great find. Your 2014 totals are quite impressive. Hopefully we all have some more detecting time left in 2014.

:congrats:on all those keepers.

MangoAve
11-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Maybe some aspect to think is regardless if the silver is a little toasted, they are still another that you get. Congrats on the silver. Any dairy farms near by the fob is from. Idk if you wanna show them but at least for your knowledge you can figure it out. That odd piece that looks like cow nipple i swear I have seen something like that before. But idr where along the way.

Tony Two-Cent
11-23-2014, 10:45 AM
Awesome finds Tony! I have never seen such bad looking silver before. It's like they have been exposed to a solvent of some sort. Perhaps the soil there is full PCBs or something equally unhealthy! The Fob is definitely a cool find. The Great Seal button looks WW2 or later to me judging by the back. Do you think the park only dates back to the 40's? I have not seen that scatter tag before either. Is the little heart sterling? Great finds. I'm glad you are having such a good November. Best wishes and HH, Dave.

Whatever is in the soil, it only affects the silver. All of the other coins and relics look normal. :dontknow:

Yes, I do think this park must only date back to the 1940s as there aren't any Barbers or older coins. I agree with you about the Great Seal button, it is probably from the 1940s.

p.s. The little heart is just aluminum.

Nesdore
11-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Great Hunt Tony :clapping: what a awesome pile of keepers tarnished or not I'd take um.....You also got some really cool relics that eagle button is sweet :perfect10: HH Ben

Thiltzy
11-23-2014, 01:00 PM
That park has been very kind to you Tony. If I had to guess who has found the most silver coins this year, I would put my money on you.

mownomo
11-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Nice haul Tony. Pitted or not, I'd love to find some silver. The button jogs my memory too. It looks like you might have some copper in the trash pile. I save all I can find. ($3.85 per pound) Hope you get to hunt a while longer before it gets so cold. I used to live in Mascoutah. (East St. Louis) Brrrrrrr!!!

giant056
11-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Holy Cow Tony, you loaded up on the silvers and wheats for sure :thumbsup02:

................................. :congrats:

wisconsin digger
11-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Great hunt. Way to take advantage of the warm-up. Unfortunately the rain did not hold off in Wisconsin today. Nice bunch of silver, tarnished or not. WD

POKIE73
11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
congrats on another good hunt the silver may look a little rough but hey its still silver

MIKE54
11-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Another great hunt, way to collect the silver before winter.