PDA

View Full Version : etrac beach hunting

deltacornbread
06-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Going on vacation starting next week. :) Will have opportunity to hunt beach area.(swimming area on lake with sand hauled in) Anyway, since i have not had my etrac on any beach areas and time will be short, I would appreciate any helpful tips.
Thanks in advance.

coinnut
06-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Going on vacation starting next week. :) Will have opportunity to hunt beach area.(swimming area on lake with sand hauled in) Anyway, since i have not had my etrac on any beach areas and time will be short, I would appreciate any helpful tips.
Thanks in advance.

I have not tried it on a beach, but from what I have read, the main caution is getting too close to a unexpected wave. Don't let the machine get wet by letting water run up the shaft (internally) if you were to put it up in the air. I read some guys plug the inside of that shaft with styrofoam so water can not run up it. As for settings, I hear that neutral ground will work better in most places except the black sand areas where difficult should work. I would open up the manual sensitivity as high as I could. If you run Conductive sounds, then some discrimination is needed. I usually run ferrous 31-35 discriminated out. Then running multi tones will not hit on most iron. I hear it goes very deep on beaches. The key is to get maximum sensitivity while rejecting minimum iron. Any sensitivity readings above 25 and neutral ground setting is needed. Hope this helps and good luck. I hope it does well for you.