PDA

View Full Version : Electric Eraser

mownomo
11-27-2014, 02:17 PM
When I was in drafting/illustrating we used electric erasers. Luckily I still have mine. It does a fantastic job cleaning up light to moderate discoloration on coins. The eraser has enough abrasive to cut grime, but does not alter the detail. This is an "Alvin" model, but Bruning and others are good. (very quiet). You can find these all over "eBay". The eraser refills are a little more difficult to find, but they are out there. Just though I would let y'all know about it if you haven't already seen this method of cleaning our precious treasures.

Tony Two-Cent
11-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Very nice results!

I used to use one too back when I was doing hand drafting. I remember using one to erase the serial numbers from a dollar bill one time and fooled a coworker into thinking I had found a rare error. :lol:

:angelic:

Robbie
11-27-2014, 07:10 PM
I agree,nice results. I use to use one when I studied architecture. I once used it on some of my mercury dimes years ago to shine them up(which worked),but now sitting in coin books they have turned black.:dontknow:

Skamaniac
12-05-2014, 08:49 PM
This helps explain why I never took to drafting. With my questionable drawing skills I'd need an eraser with a diesel driven, coffee can sized head on it strong enough to erase the center line off a highway. That being said, one of these little buggers might work well for cleaning MD finds. I'm always looking for new ways to clean stuff.

GA1dad
02-04-2015, 09:47 PM
What are the odds? I just read this post over the weekend, and had never even heard of an electric eraser before then. Today I saw one in a thrift store and decided to go ahead and buy it. The guy at the register gave it a funny, kind of puzzled look, then looked at me and said "whatzit". I said "last week I didn't know either", and we both laughed.

MangoAve
02-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Interesting. I knew of using and eraser to shine up gold. Gold isn't supposed to tarnish but the edge connectors seem to get a dull color and I've used an eraser to clean them up. I might try this with one or more of my wheats. Maybe just the regular white eraser block... I know it's not as versitile as the tip one and it would be by hand.

mownomo
02-06-2015, 11:30 PM
What are the odds? I just read this post over the weekend, and had never even heard of an electric eraser before then. Today I saw one in a thrift store and decided to go ahead and buy it. The guy at the register gave it a funny, kind of puzzled look, then looked at me and said "whatzit". I said "last week I didn't know either", and we both laughed.
Good for you. You may have to go online to find the eraser sticks, but some office supply stores still carry them.

mownomo
02-06-2015, 11:33 PM
Interesting. I knew of using and eraser to shine up gold. Gold isn't supposed to tarnish but the edge connectors seem to get a dull color and I've used an eraser to clean them up. I might try this with one or more of my wheats. Maybe just the regular white eraser block... I know it's not as versitile as the tip one and it would be by hand.
Yeah. I was using an eraser to clean Printed Wiring Board contacts back in the 60's. I think they still do.