PDA

View Full Version : One of my arest finds to date. George Washington Success Token!

Thiltzy
11-30-2014, 09:17 PM
I had to work all week including yesterday so I was itching to hit some sites. Last night Dave and I noticed a spot near one of our sites we hit last summer that we never noticed before. It looked very promising as it was tucked away in the nook of a river deep in the woods. When we got there, we found the barn buried in some thick briar but couldn't find a cellar hole near it. We did find a square structure a few hundred feet away that must have been the homestead.

We couldn't get near the barn due to the thick briars and targets around the perimeter were very scarce. Hardly any good repeatable signals other than the dozen or so shot gun shells I was digging. Then I got another signal that was also ringing in the shotgun-button range but I could only get a repeatable signal from one direction. At first I thought it was just a flat button. Then I could see letters that read "States". I knew it must say "United States" and said to myself that it can't be a button. As I let it dry, I could see rays coming out from a center "All seeing eye" and that's when I knew I had something good:yes: When I finally could see the other side, I was able to make out a bust facing to the right and the name George!:shocked05: That's when I knew what I had just found:happydance01:.

A George Washington Success Token in which very little is known about these. It seems they are very rare and made from a Large and small die. They are believed to be dated 1792-1795 for GW's 2nd Inauguration but there is one theory that they could have been made as a game token in the mid 19th century.
The large variety is a 25.4M size and the small variety is a 19.4M size but what's throwing me off is that mine is 24.4M maybe due to wear?

kray
11-30-2014, 09:23 PM
That's a sweet token! Congrats.

Tony Two-Cent
11-30-2014, 10:01 PM
That token must be rare, I've never heard of it or seen one posted on any forum!

It came out of the ground in pretty good shape too! What an incredible piece of US history!

Congrats on the fascinating find! :perfect10:

Isaac
11-30-2014, 10:12 PM
No way dude!!!!!!! :wow: :perfect10: :omg: Todd that is unheard of ... :shocked05: What a piece of history that right there man, right down to the father of our country... amazes me what is lying under ground. :) Big congrats!

giant056
11-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Wow !!!!!!!!!! what an incredible find that is Todd, a huge congratulations on that one!

............................................ :congrats:

Bell-Two
12-01-2014, 12:48 AM
That is a significant and historical find. I read the citation and notes in the Whiman book too and I tend to believe the early attribution rather than the mid 19th century ones. Fantastic token and I have not heard of another being dug. Well done Todd I am so happy to see it! :wow:

fsa46
12-01-2014, 06:44 AM
:congrats: on an awesome find Todd. You made some outstanding finds this year and still have 4 weeks to go.

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-01-2014, 07:12 AM
way to go man! I knew that was something unique when I 1st saw the eye and rays and the smallness of it.congrats dude on an amazing piece of colonial Americana

BTV Digger
12-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Great find Todd. Quality vs. quantity on that hunt for sure!

-John

foundation hunter
12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice find Todd a find well deserved, keep up the good work.
Gary

MangoAve
12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Look the way it came out of the ground. Now if that was found in a park where there were some fertilizers, that might look like a mid 1900s coin. I am sure it's the real deal late 1700s. Congrats on the find. URS-6 means between 16-32 pieces known to exist? With that reverse makes me wonder if any could be worn down so much (like faded bust and no letters on obverse) that one was mistaken for something like a VT. idk..

Thiltzy
12-01-2014, 05:35 PM
Tony Two-Cent
That token must be rare, I've never heard of it or seen one posted on any forum!

It came out of the ground in pretty good shape too! What an incredible piece of US history!

Congrats on the fascinating find! :perfect10:
It seems like I am getting that same response from a lot of people Tony, in never seeing one before. Even Don Hartman told me he's never seen one posted or dug. There is very little known about these tokens but I did remember reading about them in my Whitman Encyclopedia on early Colonial and American coins. That's why I realized what I had after a few mins from digging it.

Thanks everyone for the props:thumbsup02:

aloldstuff
12-01-2014, 06:55 PM
WOW, what a find. I also have never seen or heard of one and I can't express myself on how special this find is....:notworthy:

You must be still smiling and if its something that you do, how about W&E best finds????

The Rebel
12-01-2014, 07:10 PM
WTG on an amazing find Todd! That's in awesome shape!

Mountaindigger
12-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Wonderful find !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trooper Bri
12-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Congrats on a score of a lifetime Todd! That'll take the pain out of working Saturday.

Lodge Scent
12-01-2014, 08:28 PM
:wow: Holy smokes! That is just too cool to contemplate. What a nice find. :congrats:

kpmoose
12-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Awesome, simply awesome. You must still be floating on cloud nine. :beerbuddy:

del
12-02-2014, 02:42 AM
:shocked05:What a great early token that commemorates our first President and newly founded country , Todd the token is in pretty nice shape if it is cast from brass its details should hold up pretty well . great piece of history :perfect10:

don in ny
12-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Very cool find! First I've ever heard of coming out of the ground. Way to go. Color me jealous.

Nesdore
12-02-2014, 02:36 PM
WOW that's an awesome piece of history huge :congrats:

chief5709
12-03-2014, 02:43 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: as if the GW buttons weren't an incredible find. Nice job and Congrats.