PDA

View Full Version : Latest acquisition for my Thaler collection

Full Metal Digger
12-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Hey diggers,

I thought I'd share my latest new coin with you. It is a 1697 1/3 Thaler from Germany.

The obverse depicts St. Andreas carrying a wooden cross. The motto SANCTA ANDREAS REVIVISCENS means "St. Andreas revives." The reverse bears the monogram of Ernst August with a crown above. Motto is SOLA BONA QUAE HUNESTA meaning "above all, honesty." At the bottom is the initials HB for the engraver Heinrich Bonhorst and the words FEIN SILB meaning "refined silver." The denomination 1/3 is circled at the bottom.

Ernest Augustus (German: Ernst August; 20 November 1629 – 23 January 1698) was duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg and ruled over the Principality of Calenberg (with its capital Hanover) subdivision of the duchy. He was appointed prince-elector, but died before the appointment became effective. He was also Administrator of the Prince-Bishopric of Osnabruck.

Skamaniac
12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
That's a great looking coin. I really like the obverse design.

Full Metal Digger
12-12-2014, 06:34 PM
That's a great looking coin. I really like the obverse design.

Thanks! I love the design of the old Thaler coins. It was the height of the arts in Europe and silver was very cheap due to New World expansion (so the coins got very big). HH, Dave.

Nesdore
12-12-2014, 10:10 PM
That's an awesome old coin thanks for sharing :cool: