PDA

View Full Version : First settlers area....

Snowy
06-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Having a group hunt Sunday. This is an area of the first settlers of an area town.
We believe, based on history records, the Indians lived at the rapids. They co-existed with the early settlers for quite some time.
I spent 10 minutes detecting near one cellar hole and found the 2 items attached.
I haven't detected the area since, but a gorup of us are going there Sunday. Hope everyone finds something good.

I took 6 videos out there but I'll only share 4. It was too hot to detect. We tooled around on the ATV, so the vids may be a little shakey.
These may take a while to load cuz they're in HD. My lapotop pauses when watching them, so you've been forewarned.

Exploring an old carriage road:
An old carriage road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjwPWNhZFDA#ws)

Visiting one section of the riverbank:
One section of the riverbank (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIegDHwv0nw#ws)

Found a hidden cellar hole on the way out of the first riverbank visit:
Found a hidden cellar hole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh-vn-DgeJw#ws)

Then we went to the river rapids:
River rapids (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQWDRwRwNXs#ws)

coinnut
06-23-2010, 08:28 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: I see cellar holes lol Nice videos and it looks like there is enough area out there to keep everyone busy for a long time. Hope everyone has some good finds from this. It got me going lol

Snowy
06-24-2010, 04:49 AM
Definitely plenty of area. Almost 500 acres. And there are carriage roads everywhere, some barely visible. some cellar holes are barely recognizable as well. When industry ruined the river, the Indians and the settlers abandoned the area.

angellionel
06-24-2010, 08:57 AM
That area looks so very promising! Dan and George are going to be drooling for days! lol

Sunday's hunt should be one yielding many great finds. :yes:

randy
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Good luck out there, it looks like an awesome site. Glad to see you posting again as well.

Epi-hunter
06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Wish I could come :drool: :crying02:

That looks like an incredible opportunity!

SeabeeRon
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
You guys seem to have waaaay too much fun out your way Donna, I may have to move east! :drool:

marchas45
06-24-2010, 07:18 PM
You guys seem to have waaaay too much fun out your way Donna, I may have to move east! :drool:

Yea but we have to fight off the mosquitoes and the ticks!! But we'll have fun :happydance01:

Snowy
06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
You watch... we'll all come home with tons of crap! rofl
Those are the chances you take.

The potential is there, for sure. And I know the general area of a bottle dump.... we've been out there before but never for any length of time, and never extensively. The signals are still all over the place.

Ron, we DO have fun. The group hunts are always a blast and no pictures or video can portray that, huh Charlie.

This old road is just over 2 miles long and we'll be focussed on one particular area, for the most part... unless some bring their ATVs and spread their wings, like to that one cellar hole shown in the video above.

Charlie, we were gonna bring our ATV and take you for a ride, but we can't fit IT, the beverage cooler and the food cooler in the back of the truck together.
I hope everyone finds something good out there Sunday.

marchas45
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
You watch... we'll all come home with tons of crap! rofl
Those are the chances you take.

The potential is there, for sure. And I know the general area of a bottle dump.... we've been out there before but never for any length of time, and never extensively. The signals are still all over the place.

Ron, we DO have fun. The group hunts are always a blast and no pictures or video can portray that, huh Charlie.

This old road is just over 2 miles long and we'll be focussed on one particular area, for the most part... unless some bring their ATVs and spread their wings, like to that one cellar hole shown in the video above.

Charlie, we were gonna bring our ATV and take you for a ride, but we can't fit IT, the beverage cooler and the food cooler in the back of the truck together.
I hope everyone finds something good out there Sunday.

O! O! I don't like that part that your gonna take me for a ride. Shoot their trying to steal my detectors. rofl rofl

Snowy
06-24-2010, 08:24 PM
rofl

Na.... we just wanna try 'em all out and pick the best one to keep!

Just kiddin ya, Charlie. It's a beautiful area. One could tool around on an ATV for a few hours and probably still not see it all.

I'd like to give that cellar hole in the video a scan, though. Don't think it will happen Sunday.

Got another place we're anxious to explore with the ATV as well... just as old an area. Wish I had Saturday off.
I'm hoping Islandhunter and Joe don't go in there Saturday. IH is coming up and spending the night Saturday night, as well as Kim and Giorgio.
And I gotta work ALL DAY! :mad: After work Saturday night I'll be prepping Sunday's lunch.

Snowy
06-27-2010, 03:12 PM
We had a great time today with some good finds. Mine were relics ~ buckles and lantern pieces, etc....
I barely took any pictures today, but here's a pic of what was thrown in the junk metal bucket.
I'm beat!

coinnut
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
That's a lot of digging Donna lol Lots of big pieces of iron removed. Too bad it didn't uncover any coins under there. Was that by the river banks or fields or the cellar holes? Hope it's close enough for you to get out there again, there is a lot of woods there. It can't all be hunted out. How did everyone else do?

Snowy
06-27-2010, 04:07 PM
It was all over.... I didn't dig all that. That's what everyone threw in the junk metal bucket. It's close to our home so we'll be back in there. There were some coppers found today, and in excellent shape. I don't have pics of them. I spaced it out. I was so busy trying to detect!

Epi-hunter
06-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Donna. I wish I could have been there! It is hot here too.... 100+ degrees before the humidity factor. There's no way that detecting can happen in this weather.

Snowy
06-28-2010, 05:24 AM
It was a perfect day here. High 70s to low 80s, no humidity.
People are still getting their digs organized. There were flat buttons, crotal bells, 1850s LC, 1840s LC, 1802 or 3 LC,
someone found a tomahawk, cigarette tins.... just tons of digs, lots of junk and several decent finds.
There were 15 to 20 of us in there and a couple stayed very late in the day.
We started hunting at 8 AM.

Now I hit work for 6 days a week over the next two weeks. :crying02:

Snowy
06-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Here are some pics I took. I'll follow up with some pics from other members, credit given to them, of course.

Snowy
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Some more pics... I'm having a hard time saving some for some reason, but will get more.

Krom found a Texan Jr. cap gun... BH_Ian found a few old bottles (only 1 shown)

Apparently I can't snag pics from my own site .. rofl

But I'll get some together for you all.

Snowy
06-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Goldtroves foound a couple large cents right off the bat Sunday... there was at least one other LC found. It was an 1802 or an 1803, but very worn and the pic won't save.... Here are goldtroves' LC finds. The soil is very good to the coins out there, really. BTW... the 1848 LC was in the same hole as a can.

Snowy
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Now that the group hunt is over, I've got a hankering to go out there for a day and do some serious detecting.
I got to scope it with maps, tool around on the ATV to see what's out there (and even challenged myself with crossing a swamp area on a 2-wheel drive ATV... these things will go anywhere if you know how to ride!)....

I spent a mere 10 minutes detecting between 2 holes before I had to leave, and hadn't been back before the group hunt.
I didn't get much detecting done during the group hunt, but it was a blast. I'm ready to go back.

Snowy
06-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Just got some pics in email from photoangel001...

Snowy
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Some more pics from photoangel001... she does a great job with pics so when she's around, I don't even bother trying to take pics. I love taking pics as much as she does, but there's so much to do when hosting a group hunt. I'm thankful for her passion and talents.

This should be enough eye candy, at least for now... Off to bed for me. Long work day ahead of me tomorrow.
These photos deserve a slideshow with music...

coinnut
06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Some great shots and some real nice finds. Those large cents are in decent shape. You should try and make some time for a relaxing hunt up there. You didn't really have a chance at hunting it. Nice area and pleanty left there to find!!

tanacat
07-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Congrats on a great group hunt :yes: You all found some neat stuff. I love the box lid, so intricate...

Thanks for the adventure on the ATV lol it felt like I was there with ya'll- love your woods and wow what a gorgeous river!

Cheap Thrills
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Great thread!! Looks like a real Fun time . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

tanacat
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Oh btw what was across the river :huh: Got me all curious lol

Snowy
07-07-2010, 02:57 PM
Yeah, we had a blast out there.

Across the river is an old road. It's been so hot that we haven't been in the woods/fields lately. Kinda taken to the water. Gonna beach it with the CZ-21 on Sunday and do some water hunting.

NiagaraCountyNY
07-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Wow that looks like some Great area! between the cellar holes and the Fishing I would be busy for awhile out there Hehe.Subscribed to your channel,looking forward to some live hunts from ya..Good Luck!

Snowy
07-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Wow that looks like some Great area! between the cellar holes and the Fishing I would be busy for awhile out there Hehe.Subscribed to your channel,looking forward to some live hunts from ya..Good Luck!

Thanks! I gotta get some more videos. It's been too hot lately so I've been in the water. Soon enough, though.... gonna be back in the dirt.