PDA

View Full Version : 2 times in the same week! Another SLQ!

Full Metal Digger
12-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey Diggers,

I traveled north again to a small town I found on Google maps. Next to the modern elementary school I could see the footprint of the old original school which is now ball fields. I got there bright eyed and bushy tailed and spent the first 2 hours finding nothing but modern coins. The place had obviously been detected quite a bit. I got a 12-44 at 8 inches and was very happy to pull a very old silver ring! Amazingly it is also an Edwardian style (ca. 1900-1915) like the one I got last week. I was really getting discouraged and decided I was going to leave and go door knocking.

As I was working my way back towards my truck I got a slamming 09-48 at 10 inches deep! I cut the plug but it felt like concrete only 3 inches deep. It was a buried gravel parking lot! OMG, it took me almost 10 minutes to dig through the rocks down to the dirt below. I scooped out a big handful of miniature boulders and saw the flash of a silver quarter in the pile! I picked it up and was gob smacked! ANOTHER SLQ! Are you kidding me? Five years without finding a single one and now I get 2 in the same week!

I spent the next 2 hours working the area of grass that covered the old parking lot. It was very hard digging but the silvers were just popping right and left at 8 to 10 inches deep. I ended up with 6 silvers and a buffalo nickel (1936 just like last week). It was a serious Deja vu hunt. Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to all! Dave.

Nice group of silvers. Only found 2 wheat cents!

My second SLQ this week!

I thought the 1936 Buffalo I found last week was the best looking one I had ever found but this one is even better. It rang up a perfect 12-13 at 5 inches deep.

1905-S! I did not have this one in my collection.

Too bad the stone is missing but it has nice filigree work around the crown. It was a bit mangled but I straightened it out on my ring mandrel. It's a worthwhile investment if you find a lot of bent and squished rings.

Digger Don
12-13-2014, 08:00 PM
WOW, Great hunt Dave. 2 SLQ's in one week. Man. that's got to feel great.
Looks like you found a very nice site there.

Congrats on all your finds. :perfect10:

RIdirtdigger
12-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Great finds! Nice SLQ, and other silvers. It seems that once you've found that elusive object, you just can't get enough of it. The Buffalo Nickel is amazing as well. I've never seen one in that good a shape. Nice haul! :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
12-14-2014, 07:57 AM
Congrats on another incredible hunt, Dave! Isn't it funny how it works? No SLQs for 5 years and then BAM! Two in a row! And the fact that both of yours have a legible date is icing on the cake!

Nice Barber Dime and old silver ring too! :yes:

:congrats:

Isaac
12-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Well... that escalated quickly! Keep it up! :)

You're on fire Dave!!! :perfect10:

Pennsylvania Treasures
12-14-2014, 05:50 PM
Beautiful Shape on the SLQ!

Mr. Digger
12-15-2014, 09:25 AM
WTG Dave! You're killing it!

Full Metal Digger
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Great finds! Nice SLQ, and other silvers. It seems that once you've found that elusive object, you just can't get enough of it. The Buffalo Nickel is amazing as well. I've never seen one in that good a shape. Nice haul! :congrats:

Thanks! It's true what you say. Seems like this happens to a lot of detectorists who have an elusive coin. I had a message from a guy who said he couldn't ever find a war nickel (for 2 years) and then found 5 in one week!

Congrats on another incredible hunt, Dave! Isn't it funny how it works? No SLQs for 5 years and then BAM! Two in a row! And the fact that both of yours have a legible date is icing on the cake!

Nice Barber Dime and old silver ring too! :yes:

:congrats:

Thanks Tony. Seems like some of your good luck (skill?) has finally rubbed off on me!

Well... that escalated quickly! Keep it up! :)

You're on fire Dave!!! :perfect10:

Thanks Isaac! BTW I like your YT channel! HH, Dave.

Beautiful Shape on the SLQ!

Thanks PT, and congrats on that barber half!

WTG Dave! You're killing it!

Thanks! This has definitely been my best year (in every category).