PDA

View Full Version : A hunt with aloldstuff and RobW - my 1'st *counterfeit* KG!

Trooper Bri
12-14-2014, 05:35 PM
First things first. Thanks guys! :happy: An early Christmas present.

Got a PM from Al earlier in the week inviting me along for a hunt today with Rob and possibly Dan (couldn't make it due to car surgery) at the large farm fields that coughed up a couple goodies for Al lately. I had a ton to do this weekend, including house sitting, but was able to juggle my schedule clean. Glad I did.

Met up with them in their neck o' the woods, and followed them to the site. Going was slow for a while, with Rob getting the first good tone I believe. He wound up with a buckle. Maybe 2 hours into it I got a nice VDI around 50. Had a feeling, and yup, on the board with a button. Kept walking down that field for a bit, turned around, and came back. Maybe 100ft from where I found the button, got another tone in the 50's, but bouncier. Out came my oldest coin yet! It's toasty, but believe I dug my 1'st KG2. Woohoo! Not sure I can get a date off it, the rev side is beat. All I did was give it a rinse with a soft toothbrush so far. No idea if it can clean up any better, or the best way to do it. Input is welcome.

Poked around the area more, and got my final goodie of the day. Musket ball. Property owner pointed out an older field in the corner, and that's where we pretty much finished up the day. Pickin's were pretty slim otherwise. A clad quarter and wheatie were my only other keepers.

Thank you again Al for the invite. You were hoping I'd find a goodie, and mission accomplished! Couldn't ask for much better weather either.

del
12-14-2014, 05:41 PM
congrats on your first colonial coin Brian :cheering::cheering: its a "young head" George II and that would date it from 1729 to 1739

Trooper Bri
12-14-2014, 06:02 PM
I posted this in the wrong forum. D'oh! We weren't at the beach today. :lol:

Thank you for the ID Dan! That's older than I had hoped. Beats my 1880 IH by a few years.

del
12-14-2014, 06:07 PM
don't sweat it Brian I moved it for you :lol:

Full Metal Digger
12-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Congrats on your great finds. I wonder if the KG is a counterfeit? It almost looks pewter in the picture. HH, Dave.

aloldstuff
12-14-2014, 06:17 PM
WTG Brian. You were the detectorist :notworthy: today while Rob and I swung a detector but....:(. Now lets talk about Brian's vocal cords. Rob and I were each about 100 yards from Brian when this scream reached my ears. Looking over I see Brian doing a victory dance so I knew it was something special. Couldn't be happier for you Brian and you're more than welcome for the invite. Hope to hunt together again but next time you have to leave some goodies for the rest of us....:lol:

RIdirtdigger
12-14-2014, 06:33 PM
Congrats on your first KG! Hope its the first of many to come! :)

OxShoeDrew
12-14-2014, 06:41 PM
:yahoo: HOORAYY!! Keep it up!

Digger Don
12-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Congrats on your first KG. That's a great find.
I couldn't even imagine digging a coin from the 1700s
:congrats:

Isaac
12-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Big congrats on the KG!!! I'm still looking for my first colonial copper

Nesdore
12-14-2014, 11:04 PM
:happydance01:Huge Congrats Bri on your first KG something I may never find :notworthy:

Bell-Two
12-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Fantastic find and congrats on a classic coin!

Trooper Bri
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Thankya everyone! Very nice to have that before the ground freezes. I'll find us a field or two down here Al. Permissions is a priority for 2015. I owe some folks here a hunt or two.

I'm certainly not an expert DD, but doubt it's a fake. That farm dirt wasn't nice to the dandy button I dug, or the wheatie either. The dandy had some sort of pattern around the edges, maybe floral. The wheat is a 1914, and very close to being an anonymous disc. Dunno what a solid KG2 should ring up as on a White's, but this one was down in button territory.
Got a couple pics after work today before the sun could set. Doesn't help much, but on the rev side you can now see the horizontal line below the globe where the date would be. Guess I have something else to try and clean up over the winter.

del
12-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Brian a regal copper should ring out in the +78 to +82 area of the vdi on your whites machine but might be just a bit lower due to corrosion , wear . if its much lower then it probably is a counterfeit .

Trooper Bri
12-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Didn't think to hit it out of the hole Dan. Just did. 50-51. D'oh, rookie mistake. My first KG2*.

*fake!

del
12-15-2014, 09:09 PM
Brian it still counts , there were probably more fakes circulating in the colonies then regal ones. in some cases the counterfeits are worth more then the real ones .

Trooper Bri
12-15-2014, 09:23 PM
I've read enough reports here to know it's still a good find Dan. Still a happy camper. Just feel like a goober for not checking it out of the hole. Lesson learned!

Full Metal Digger
12-15-2014, 09:40 PM
It's still an awesome colonial find Bri! I wish you many successes and many more awesome finds in 2015. HH, Dave.