PDA

View Full Version : Old buckle found in Australian goldfields

Aussieprospector
12-14-2014, 08:13 PM
44988G'day, my mate found this buckle in the central goldfields of Victoria, Australia and would like to find out some info on its history and estimated value. We quite often find old relics from other countries that early gold prospectors brought with them to Australia. Cheers.

Full Metal Digger
12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
OMG! A federal Eagle riding on an early steam locomotive! That has GOT to be pre-Civil War! What a great find. WOW is all I can say. I hope someone here can tell us what it is. Del? Heavymetalnut? anyone?

RIdirtdigger
12-15-2014, 10:53 AM
That's a great old buckle. Looks like it's a long way from home. Great find

Tony Two-Cent
12-17-2014, 01:45 PM
That is an incredible find! I tried to find some information on it but couldn't find a match. I agree with DaddyDigger, it looks like it could be from 1830-1850 based on the design of the steam engine depicted on it.

I hope you are able to find out more about it!

del
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I agree the buckle is most likely pre 1860's (my guess would be 1840's or 50's ) and would go along the Australian Gold Rush era or the rail road progression . I don't believe its a regulation military issued piece but more of a private or civilian item one could purchase from a trading post or outfitter that were common around gold rush towns or rail road communities that sprang up. I do think its a very interesting piece with the Eagle sitting on an old Rail Road hand cart.

Dan

leslie(nova scotia)
12-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Indeed a rare find. Well done!