PDA

View Full Version : Harmonica reeds,,, a "must find" milestone??

GA1dad
12-23-2014, 06:00 PM
Maybe it's being housebound and boredom due to a cold rainy day, but Drew's "what should I have found already" thread made me think of this.

I remember when I first got a detector I would spend hours on youtube studying techniques, finds and equipment. It doesn't take long to notice that some finds seem to show up on every detectorist's videos sooner or later. One example is the common harmonica reed. I remember feeling a sense of "achievement" when I found the one below earlier this year. It was almost like I had unlocked or advanced to the next level as I dropped it in my pouch.

You never really see much written about them though. Any theories on why they seem to be everywhere? Maybe they aren't? Do you find them up north like we do in The South? Are there any 'special" ones that stand out in the harmonica realm?

del
12-23-2014, 06:06 PM
they had to have been the most common musical instrument that was affordable , and some body made a fortune off them because i have hundreds of pieces . they are a good sign you will find other good targets in the immediate area when you come across one .

OxShoeDrew
12-23-2014, 06:28 PM
:lol: Dan, yeah....I call them feeders...when they are in the area I know there are big fish around!

Digger Don
12-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I find them all the time here in Illinois. I found one earlier this year that still had wood attached.
Some thing else I find all the time. Pantyhose clips.

Oneil1979
12-23-2014, 10:59 PM
Not even 30 minutes after ive read this post did I pull up my first reeds, ive been field testing my new AT pro in my yard ( house circa 1920) and finding alot that my previous detector missed ( teckniks delta 4000) made me smile when i pulled guess im on the right track 😎

GA1dad
12-23-2014, 11:33 PM
That is awesome Oneil!!!

Dan
12-26-2014, 01:23 AM
Yup, finding a Harmonica reed is pretty cool, you know the area you are in has some history.

HH & GL, Dan

giant056
12-26-2014, 02:25 AM
Harmonica reeds always give me a charge :grin:

Clad killer
12-26-2014, 05:48 AM
I find them all the time at old homesites. There are so many I wonder if it may have been used to communicate with your neighbor just like texting is used today?

whammy
12-28-2014, 07:32 PM
I gotta be doing something wrong. I've been detecting way over 20 years and have never found a harmonica reed. I'll try to do better this coming year.