PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Eve Detecting - The little Old Park

CyberSage
12-27-2014, 05:24 PM
The light wind combined with a 28 degree temperature caused the tip of my nose to sting, and reminded me that I was in fact hunting on a Winter's day. With a blind faith that the wind would dissipate, and the sun would soon do it's job I walked out into the remains of an old park that I have enjoyed hunting on many occasions. This place was once known as Chestnut Park, but now what little was left of it was referred to as Washington Park. Only about a quarter of a block was recognizable as a park, and the rest adjoined a near by middle school, and was probably used on a regular basis as an athletic field. This place has produced over 70 nice Silver coins over the last 5 to 6 years for me, as well as many nice Indian Heads, Wheats, and small pieces of jewelry... new, and old. The finds have slowed, and a little more work is involved in getting the old coins separated from the trash, and deep iron. The E-Trac however is the ideal machine for just such a task.

The warm cups of my headphones felt great as I slipped them on over my ears. I reached down, and pressed the power button on the E-Trac. The screen lit up, and the detector played it's little greeting tune that was soon replace with the steady hum of the threshold. After a few adjustments I took a long look at the old park, and started my slow, and rhythmic march into the past. In just a few minutes the E-Trac let me know that a Wheat penny was under foot. It was somewhat broken in response but just repeatable enough to make me dig.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/WheatSpill_zpsc62a37a3.jpg

A wheat penny soon reveled itself in the dry clay soil, and with another pass of the handheld pin-pointer another Wheat saw the light of day.The two coins in close proximity combined with the moderate soil, and depth of the coins would explain the broken response. I restored the plug and continued working my way along a chain-link fence that surrounded a modern day basketball court. As I neared the corner I got a Zinc penny hit on the detector. Looking at the depth reading on the detector screen I noticed it was at 5 to 6 inches. It pinpointed nicely, and I eagerly started my dig knowing that this was just a little deep for a modern day penny. The coin popped loose just 4 or 5 inches down, and my hunch was right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ea05hjbdhA&list=UU3TkHnJNtXJMQUh1YcdJZEg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/Indian_zps2f410c7a.jpg

A 1900 Indian Head Penny in poor condition, but a very welcome find.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/IndianSite_zps0da8cdf5.jpg

The 114 year old coin lay just off the edge of the modern day fenced in Basketball court.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1920Merc_zps73f9d2fa.jpg

The 1920 Winged Liberty Dime turned out to be the only Silver of the day. I think this has to be my favorite Silver coin to dig. I have found several hundred now, but I still get that "first coin excited" feeling when I pull a Merc from the ground.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/1920MercSite_zpsbb04fbde.jpg

The Dime was at a respectable 7.5 to 8 inches depth

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o187/CyberSageBH3300/CDGroup_zps1a874b5a.jpg

I ended up with five Wheat Pennies in all. Other notable finds from the day included a 1930's Tax Token, and a very small brass Victorian padlock pendant. Under close inspection I could make out a little gold plating, and small bits of enamel fragments. It originally locked, but the ravages of time has left it forever in the open position.

With the sun low in the Winter sky, and the tempature droping I knew it was time once again to call it a day. The forecast was for snow tonight promising for a white Christmas. I knew that my hunts were probably done here for the year, and the next time I looked out over this area it would be blanketed in white. The ground would soon freeze tight, locking the old coins, and other treasure away in it's wintry vault until Spring decided it was time for me once again to go metal detecting in the little old park.

To all my Friends, and fellow American Detecorist... wishing You A Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Jack

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2014, 06:32 PM
You're posts are always so wonderfully written, Jack, I always enjoy reading them. Such beautiful photographs too! How exciting that you were able to get out for a hunt this time of year. You certainly made the best of a bonus outing.

I can't remember if I ever told you that I lived in Grand Junction with my parents until I was 2 years old. I don't really remember it, but I still have a special place in my heart for that town because my parents have so many stories from there.

Congrats on the finds and have a Happy New Year! :thumbsup02:

GA1dad
12-27-2014, 06:59 PM
I agree,, excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!!

CyberSage
12-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Thank you for the kind words Tony. :) I feel very fortunate to have one more chance this year to go for a hunt. It did in fact snow that night, and we woke up to near 0 degree temperatures. The snow stuck, and everything is white. I would have enjoyed another hunt, but having Christmas snow is special in these parts, and I am enjoying it as well. I was born in Grand Junction in 1962, and lived here until 1996. My Wife, and I travel here from the East Slope of Colorado several times a year to visit Family, and Friends. It's only about a 5-6 hour drive for us. We need to exchange stories sometime. This is a great town!

CyberSage
12-27-2014, 07:16 PM
I agree,, excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you GA1dad, and your welcome!

Digger Don
12-27-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm glad you were able to get out and that your favorite park is still giving up nice coins.
That little locket is cool too.
Have a Happy New Year !!

CyberSage
12-27-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm glad you were able to get out and that your favorite park is still giving up nice coins.
That little locket is cool too.
Have a Happy New Year !!

Thank you Don! I love finding the older jewelry items. My Wife still wears an 1881 Victorian Sterling Silver Buckle Ring that I found in Longmont, Colorado. It had all the hallmarks intact so I was able to identify what year it was made, where, and by whom. This item is not in such good shape, but still a treasure for me.

aloldstuff
12-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Reading all that the park has given up to your detecting skills, no wonder you went back. The window of opportunity you had seems to be closed now, but congrats on getting those keepers in December. Great to hear from you again and I hope the holidays were good to you.

CyberSage
12-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks Al. The window of opportunity is what it is all about in my book. I truly believe you make your own luck, and you have to be out there with an open mind, and willingness to adapt, and learn. I think I keep going back to the same areas because I believe this hobby is a ongoing learning experience. If you gain knowledge, and experience then you pull more keepers from the same ground. I am sure I will hunt this park for years to come, but what do I know. ;)

aloldstuff
12-28-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks Al. The window of opportunity is what it is all about in my book. I truly believe you make your own luck, and you have to be out there with an open mind, and willingness to adapt, and learn. I think I keep going back to the same areas because I believe this hobby is a ongoing learning experience. If you gain knowledge, and experience then you pull more keepers from the same ground. I am sure I will hunt this park for years to come, but what do I know. ;)

I also believe in making ones own luck and I think I'm a pretty lucky guy (Attitude and with the help of a Brass cricket :lol:). I constantly will travel to an old hunting area just to try a different program or hit it from a different angle, and yes more keepers are there waiting for me. Hopefully RobW and myself will be hitting some old hunting areas today as I am on a quest to get one more coin over 100 yrs old.

CyberSage
12-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Hope you get that #100 Al.

SeabeeRon
12-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Always have enjoyed seeing/reading your posts Jack! Happy New Year buddy!

BTV Digger
12-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Enjoyed reading your post! Thanks for investing the time to write such an interesting little story. I was an Aurora, CO resident years back (1992-1996) when my wife and I were first married. Vermont and Colorado are hands down the top two locations I've had the opportunity to live in...and I've lived in quite a few! Congrats on the late season finds!

John