PDA

View Full Version : Field permission = things that begin with the letter B - 12/27

Trooper Bri
12-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Couldn't ask for much nicer weather for late December, except for 4 more hours of sunlight maybe. Hope everyone took advantage of it.

So, driving home from work yesterday I see a couple cars on a retired farm field that's on my hot sheet for permissions next year. I've noticed a few homemade "no trespassing" signs appear very recently as well. So I pulled in and talked with the land owner. I guess he's getting ready to put up a house (doesn't speak English so well), so I asked if he'd mind if I hit the place this weekend. Permission granted, no more parks for 2014! :happydance01:

Had some stuff to do this morning, but got there about 10:30, said hi to the owner for a few and got started. Don't think I got more than 30 feet before I got my first signal @ 50. Button #1. Button #2 came maybe 2 minutes later. The field is kinda long and narrow, so all I was doing was walking a long straight line to get a feel for it. Button #3 came maybe 5 or 10 minutes later. Got a broken suspender clip a while later, but getting obvious that it was time to turn around. Not much until I got back in the area where I started, and got a good digging signal. Button #4. Ad not long after that came button #5.

Got a break from the button train with my first bale/bag seal. How common are these in CT? I don't recall seeing them in any reports. I'll have to find a site to try and identify it. I've got a couple good pics of it below.
Right after the bag/bale seal, I got a 2-coin spill. 1906 Barber in great shape, and a 1906 Indian. Button #6 came shortly after that, and then it slowed way down. The next 3 hours resulted in a button fragment, clad dime, and more of the lead chunks & slag I was digging all day too. There wasn't much in the way of junk, so if it made a decent tone, up it came.

Called it quits some time after 4. Probably be back tomorrow even though it got real quiet during the 2'nd half of my hunt today. Real happy with my finds. Probably doubled my button count for the year. All except the big dandy and the broken one have some sort of claims to double gilt, extra strong, best, or treble. The last has what looks like a flower pot ornamentation on the face.

Thanks for reading and on with the pics!

Digger Don
12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Wow, you must have a ball digging all those buttons, and that Barber is sweet as well.
Good luck tomorrow, I hope the weather holds for you.

BTV Digger
12-27-2014, 08:36 PM
Very nice finds. Those fields can surely be productive. Congrats and good luck tomorrow!

John

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-27-2014, 08:55 PM
nice early buttons,take advantage and hit it hard!

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Looks like a great site! Good job on the Indian Head and Barber Dime! Surely there are some coins there that are as old as the buttons.

I can't say about lead bag seals in CT but we find them here in Illinois on occasion. In fact, I found one yesterday but it is somewhat mangled.

I hope you able to get back out there in that field and find some more goodies! :thumbsup02:

MangoAve
12-27-2014, 09:13 PM
The camera didn't pick up the gilt on that button. I think it said treble gilt and now I can see the seal came from Quincy, NY. I thought it said indicatder (spelled weird) now I think it says syndicat. I thought the IH had a 7 in last digit.

aloldstuff
12-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Nice hunting Brian. Don't you just love a field....
Tomorrow try walking east to west if you went north to south today, if you get my drift. Some very nice finds today and I hope tomorrows hunt is as good.

Trooper Bri
12-27-2014, 10:47 PM
I'll take a better pic of that triple gilt/orange button Jim. The fertilizer wasn't very nice to the details on most of them, but the face of that button has what looks like a thick gilt ring band around the edge that saved itself on maybe half.

And I am liking fields Al. This place is just 6 acres surprisingly. With all the gilt buttons, I had been really hoping to find a copper or something, but nothing yet. The other fields near by are quite bigger, but still used. It's a permission I'm going to pursue soon, and get a group hunt out there for us.

Nesdore
12-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Love all the buttons and the Barber/Indian Spill :congrats: great hunt

Bell-Two
12-28-2014, 10:06 AM
Very nice finds and good thinking on getting permission when you saw him out there! alotofoldstuff gave good advice on hitting different angle I find that is a good way to get targets that are missed the first time. Beautiful Bounty of Bodacious Buckets of Binds....err finds! :lolsign:

Mountaindigger
12-28-2014, 02:19 PM
Love digging Barbers. Excellent finds and congratulations.

GA1dad
12-28-2014, 07:39 PM
That sounds like a great place to spend some time. Look forward to seeing the "orange" button a little better.

The Rebel
12-28-2014, 09:20 PM
WTG on all of your finds!

Trooper Bri
12-28-2014, 10:05 PM
That's my favorite one GA1dad. Wish I had found it in the woods instead of a field. Here's some better pics.

I've also decided to monkey with vids. Yesterday's hunt was my 1'st using just my Galaxy S5 (royal PITA). Here's a link to the roundup. There's a full vid as well, but some of the clips are vertical for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LvSV50x-Ew

OxShoeDrew
12-29-2014, 07:49 AM
I bet you'll find some coppers there...keep at it until they start digging the foundation....then hit it some more :lol:

kpmoose
12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Nice work securing the permission & nice job on the hunt. Keep hitting that field while you can. There's got to be a copper or two in there. I have found one bale seal this year- New York New Haven & Hartford Rail Road.