PDA

View Full Version : "Ugly Silver Park" gives up a Seated Quarter today!

Tony Two-Cent
12-27-2014, 08:06 PM
I ended the day yesterday with 149 silver coins for the year, so I couldn't resist going out again today to try and get number 150. I decided to stay closer to home in case the weather turned, which ended up being a wise decision. When I started detecting today it was overcast and 48 degrees. By mid-afternoon it was 34 degrees and sleeting.

Today I went back to "Ugly Silver Park" because I thought it held the best chance for me to find a silver coin. This is the same park where I got the 4 silver quarters & walking liberty half spill a few weeks ago.

I got a decent looking 1941 Merc fairly quickly for my 150th silver coin of the year. After that I found a very discolored 1943 Washington Quarter, then 2 Rosies.

As I was detecting close to the street (away from the railroad tracks) I got a typical 11-47 quarter signal at about 7 inches deep. After removing some dirt from the hole I could see the edge of a silver quarter in a dirt clod. When I removed some of the dirt I could tell that it was a very worn quarter so I took it over to my car where I had some water. When I poured some water on it I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a seated quarter! I was shocked, as I have never even found any Barber coins in this park. Only my third seated quarter ever, and amazingly all three are 1876-S.

After that I found a 1941 Walking Liberty Half near the railroad tracks. It has an old injury, possibly from a lawnmower.

I also got 6 wheat cents today.

This will definitely be my last hunt of the year, so I ended my year with 155 silver coins. Coincidentally, that is the exact number I got last year.

Here are today's silvers:

The seated quarter is very worn but it still put a big smile on my face!

Nothing too exciting in the relics department today:

I have no idea what this is. Some kind of locking mechanism, I guess.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Trooper Bri
12-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Congrats on the sweet find for your last hunt Tony. You guys have some fantastic parks out there to cough up all that silver. Love that WLH too.

Digger Don
12-27-2014, 08:45 PM
And to think this morning you weren't sure if you were going to get out today. Bet your glad you did !!!!!!
It's poetic, a fantastic day to close out a fantastic season. A walker half and a seated quarter in one hunt :envious: WOW
Super congrats on the awesome coins you dug today. ( I think you should go for 151 tomorrow)
Have a Happy New Year

BTV Digger
12-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Amazing hunt as always Tony. You've definitely got the knack for finding those silvers! Those 1876 mintage numbers on the seated quarters sum up to something like 30 million coins so not surprised you've found similar dates. You do bring up what IS unusual though...nothing in between your "modern" silvers and the older seated at this particular park. Makes you again wonder if folks still carried old worn seated liberty dimes/quarters into the first few decades of the the 20th century. Would be curious to know.

John

aloldstuff
12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
WTG Tony. You got some great keepers for the last hunt of 2014. Still looking for my 1st seated quarter, maybe next year. Your yearly totals are amazing and I hope that next year is as good if not better for you. Amazing that all three of your seated quarter have the same date and mint mark.

RIdirtdigger
12-27-2014, 09:59 PM
Nice job on the seated and great job on the silver this year, Hope you have a wonderful new year and do even better next year. Congrats :thumbsup02:

Dan
12-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Great hunt tony! Great silver count. Do you ever have problems detecting around the railroad tracks with the RR folks?

Tony Two-Cent
12-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Do you ever have problems detecting around the railroad tracks with the RR folks?

No, in fact a crew went by in a machine that cleans the rails and I waved at them and they waved back. To clarify, I always stay in the park and don't trespass on the actual railroad. It would be virtually impossible to dig in the rail bed anyway. This particular railway is very active, a train comes by approximately every 30 minutes.

GA1dad
12-28-2014, 10:31 AM
That's a good haul!

tanacat
12-28-2014, 10:56 AM
Awesome silver scores Tony!!!:happydance02: Too funny that you found 155 two yrs in a row :shocked03:

I have found several of those red ruby looking things and concluded they were reflectors off an old carriage... since I found them at a site where the property owner guided me down the front walkway to the carriage stop.

PL8MAN
12-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Sweet silver Tony ! I always enjoy your videos , keep them coming !
Glen

wisconsin digger
12-28-2014, 12:11 PM
That's a great hunt and if it turns out to be the last hunt of the year that is a great way to end it. Nice coins. WD

Restoring Your Finds
12-28-2014, 12:17 PM
What a nice feeling it must be to find a seated quarter !

Dan
12-28-2014, 01:55 PM
No, in fact a crew went by in a machine that cleans the rails and I waved at them and they waved back. To clarify, I always stay in the park and don't trespass on the actual railroad. It would be virtually impossible to dig in the rail bed anyway. This particular railway is very active, a train comes by approximately every 30 minutes.

OK, we have about the same train activity here. There are a few areas close to the train track that have my eye....think I will give them a wave of the Etrac. :) HH & GL, Dan

The Rebel
12-28-2014, 09:21 PM
WTG Tony on the Seated Quarter!

Mr. Digger
12-30-2014, 06:57 AM
Congrats on the seated quarter! Love that coin.

Cheap Thrills
12-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Awesome hunt with both great coinage and quite a diversity of finds . Those reflectors were quite popular in the 50's with kids finding many ways to accessorize their bikes with them . Some were mounted on car license plates as well .

MIKE54
12-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Goodies for sure. Walkers are definitely my favorite old coin.

jbolf6
12-31-2014, 04:25 PM
What a great haul, congratulations Tony and Happy New Year

milco
12-31-2014, 05:33 PM
Awesome score on the silver and the seated Quarter, Whoo Hoo!!

OxShoeDrew
12-31-2014, 05:40 PM
Another great year for you Tony! That seated looks exactly like the one I found last week :lol: Wonderful hunting! Happy New Year too!!:cheering:

Coinshooter
01-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the seated!!