PDA

View Full Version : Random park and Stove parts First Door knock and instant permission with silver

MangoAve
12-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Friday with no work I was tied home doing laundry but later in the day I went out to do some recon. I was following up on a lead I got at my last permission but wasn't thinking detecting was in the works, yet we are lucky so far for mild winter that it turned out to a few hunts. Saturday I got out later in the day but stumbled upon a detectorist while on the way. There wasn't enough room for two people. I made it back to the site with a standing chimney and another fallen chimney. About 40 feet away there was a larger depression, possibly for a barn. But this site was supposed to be an old hotel. There was a lot of trash there; mostly iron. The site I am guessing is later than 1868 cuz it's not on the map, but a close by foundation makes me question a bit. Maybe 500-1000 ft away there happened to be an old road I noticed the day prior and some strange foundation blocks. It was higher in elevation compared to standing chimney place, but there was a grid of 4x3 blocks maybe 1ft square each. There was a kitchen sink on the top so I knew there was once a structure there. There was ridic big iron there. I dug up first the door to a wood stove which was ornate. Then I found the top.. Once I saw the size I was debating but since it was really ornate I dug it up. Man my backpack felt like I was carrying a concrete block in it. I didn't give myself much time there but I got to see a nice sunset.

Today I got out earlier but not early in the AM. I took a ride over to a house built 1820. I learned from the current owner that it was built by the manufacturer of clocks for towers/town halls. It was owned sometime as a parsonage. There was more to the story behind the place which I can't give away for those who live close will know which place it was. Across the street and across the other street there are three other houses to try later on. I was having a heck of a time getting my bluetooth to sync up. When it was syncing, there was no sound. ugh. I gave up after a while and just used the internal speaker. My backup bluetooth was at home. Good place for it. After a few new pennies I went by the big tree. I was unsure by numbers what it was before digging it up, but I got some silver. It's a long way from home. I hastily covered the back and found a small button and a strange brass point. Not sure what it was used for and one side although rough looks like there might be letters there. Its definitely not an iron nail. Its brass. I found a large caliber three ring bullet. The homeowner came out and I showed him. He was more impressed with the bullet. Guess he never saw one before. He told me about the hitch still out by the other large tree. I went up that side of house but didn't find much more before it got dark. Still a nice end to the year. Of course I did find my usual toy cars and I have no idea why I found so much non-iron slag. Eight pieces...??

aloldstuff
12-29-2014, 03:23 PM
Nice going on getting that silver and I hope someone can tell you what it is cause I have no idea. Your brass point also looks very interesting, and I think you are right about the letters. Isn't it great that we can still hunt in December in the northeast. :thumbsup02:

Tony Two-Cent
12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
The silver coin appears to be a mid 20th century quarter from Panama.

MangoAve
12-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Yup Tony. The quarter was produced from 1930 until 1966 as silver. After it was clad. It's a silver but since u see the hole...it's where the date would be. Crazy to find it in CT tho. AL, it's starting to get cold again tho :(

BTV Digger
12-29-2014, 07:14 PM
Nice little silver find. A three-ringer is always a good find as well. Congrats.

John

MIKE54
12-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Great looking balboa Jim.

kpmoose
12-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Congrats on the silver Jim. I like the 3 ringer as well- always a nice addition to the collection.

Ill Digger
12-30-2014, 11:47 PM
This time of year it's nice just to get out and swing. :detecting:

But to go out and pocket a late season silver is great!:thumbsup01:

Congrats!! :grin:

To top it off it's a foreign silver!! :yahoo:
For me a foreign silver is a bigger reward than a U.S. silver. They're much more rare to find. :cool:

MangoAve
12-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Tim, It is nice to find something that rare because I can say I have and not many else have. The flying eagle (I know not silver but using it as an example anyway) there have been quite a few found just this summer. I will say that last night I just got permission for a 1746 house I been eying all summer and a 1862 house near me. I showed the coin to the owner of the 1746 house who said they collect coins and mine isn't really worth much.

Mountaindigger
12-31-2014, 07:28 PM
WOW, what a way to end the year!!