hockeyguy
06-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I was very happy to have found this stranded laday today; why, because;

A. I have been running bad lately
B. I went to an good location yesterday and struck out again
C. I feel more comfortable with a new technique
D. A, B & C

If you answered D, you are correct.

I have been running my Minelab SE wide open for near a year now and it works well in many sites. In the extreme trash, i either stay away or slow way down. It seems that the halo effect is killing me. Worse than that is the extra 5-30 seconds it takes to realize what I think may be a potential target is actually a good tone that comes from a location between two undesirable targets. If I don't scan the area around them (its easy to get hung up on a good sound), then I end up wasting time and energy.

Well, I have been trying to use a bit of iron mask to lessen the tones. I always felt that I was giving up depth here, however, what I NEVER realized is that I can crank up the sensitivity under these circumstances to make up for the loss. Even still, whenever I use the mask, I constantly get hung up switching back to all metal to confirm; herin lies my problem.

Whilst hunting with castkill comics and another friend yesterday, I picked my extremely experienced friend's brain. i asked him what disc. he was using and what sensitivity. After switching to it on my machine, I asked him under what circumstances he digs. I was shocked to hear that he needs the right tone that repeats with a left and right swing. Naturally, this is a good solid hit. I came to realize how much time I waste at sites on iffy tones. They rarely pan out and until you've gotten the proverbial low hanging fruit, there's no reason to do so.

Anyway, this was the 1st time I felt comfortable trusting my machine to sound off when in the null. I keep forgetting how powerful and sophisticated my machine actually is to perform this task. Oh, a nice slow swing speed helps as well, however, this is what I usually do anyway.

This coin was sitting a close to trash....about 6 inches. I was uncertain whether or not I was hearing halo or not, even when I was able to seperate with pinpoint, I was still concerned i would dig and loose the signal. I don't know about you, but sometimes I do loose it after digging only to realize I somehow thought there was a target when it was actually the adjacent trash.

Enough of my rant and story. :beerbuddy:

HH

Aaron

Lowjiber
06-26-2010, 08:19 PM
lol Nice story and nice Merc.

Thanks for both!

angellionel
06-26-2010, 09:26 PM
That's one more silver saved from the soil's clutches. :yes: Good story too. thumbsup01

catskillcomics
06-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Good Job Pal! :beerbuddy:

coinnut
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey, I picked letter B for the answer. Do I get a prize for being wrong? Partially right?? lol Oh well, nice save on the Merc. I still get fooled by the falsing and do the same thing with the E Trac. I just can't seem to not dig some of them :yes: They sound so good lol After I get my fill of digging junk for a while, I let the machine do what it was designed to do and I just wait for that better iffy signal. I did the all metal thing for a bit yesterday and it's amazing how high the junk to good target ratio is. I could dig a hundred nails before I get a shot gun shell rofl At least your good target was a silver one thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
nice merc and very imformative post.thanks!

Epi-hunter
06-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Nice silver and good post!

hockeyguy
06-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Coinnut, yeah u win a prize, an atta boy! Congrats! <:

coinnut
06-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Coinnut, yeah u win a prize, an atta boy! Congrats! <:

I'll take it!! lol