PDA

View Full Version : 12/29 cornfield hunt with Aloldstuff

kpmoose
12-29-2014, 08:55 PM
First off, a big thanks to Al for the invite today. Got the pm and call from Al shortly before 9am this morning. I told him I would get my gear together and head in his direction. When I started loading my truck, I realized my digging shovel was in my wife's car- she was at work, 15 minutes in the wrong direction :girlcry:. Made the trip to pick it up and then a little over an hour to Al's house. While waiting for his friend Mark, Al showed me his many finds- very impressive (I admit, I was a bit jealous).

Al took us to a permission he has at a 300 acre farm. We hunted one cornfield for about 3 hours. I was able to find my very first unfired musket round ball and also my 2nd. Al also had a first, but I'll let him share that. My most notable find was a holed copper with a counterstamp. Unfortunately the copper is quite crusty and I can not make out any details to identify it. The counterstamp reads R-BEEBE. Also found a small cuff button and a watch face that is pretty cool.

Thanks again Al, I had a blast.

Bell-Two
12-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Congrats on a nice hunt I am anxious to see that counter stamped copper I think they are really interesting! :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
12-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Kevin, getting a counter stamped copper is so cool, only wish the copper could be identified. Nice cuff button and congrats on getting those musket balls.

I had fun and we will be sure to hunt together again as I have done very little of this property.

R Beebe is listed here
http://www.exonumia.com/art/cmd.htm

kpmoose
12-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Just added the pics

Lodge Scent
12-29-2014, 09:49 PM
That stamped copper is a great find :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
12-30-2014, 05:45 AM
I've never found a copper with the hole in the center :shocked01: Very interesting!
Wash your hands after handling those musket balls :lol:

MangoAve
12-30-2014, 07:25 AM
I wonder when they started with wrist watches, early 1900's? There are a few coppers in that field it seems. Nice hunt. Drew, I can take my drill to one of the coppers you found...:lol:

kpmoose
12-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Wash your hands after handling those musket balls :lol:

:lol: I always wear gloves when handling musket balls.