PDA

View Full Version : Second Hunt Ever finds...

MoneyMan
12-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Second hunt today ever!so today was my second hunt with my Christmas gift :cool:
Didn't have much luck today just found some clad and I also ran into my first aluminum can that had been shredded up by a lawnmower, it only took 4 holes to figure out but hey now I know what to look out for :bangahead02:
Also came across an orange quarter, I'm assuming it's just rust? Any advice on how to clean coins? Found some pennies that have rock/dirt on em...
Happy Hunting everyone!

OxShoeDrew
12-30-2014, 05:50 AM
I found a quarter yesterday that was oddly green. You're digging all the right targets. Keep it up!

aloldstuff
12-30-2014, 06:47 AM
It's looking like every hunt is getting better. I use a tumbler to clean my coins (clad). Check out the Cleaning and Storage of Finds section, I think that there are some threads in there about tumblers. You'll also find that the Zincolns deteriorate quite quickly when in the ground. Your aluminum can is called can slaw when shredded by a lawnmower and we have all found it.

Tony Two-Cent
12-31-2014, 12:34 PM
It looks like you are well on your way! You're finding the stuff every detectorist finds. :yes:

Clad quarters and dimes often come out of the ground orange or brown like that. Like Al mentioned, many people use a rock tumbler to clean their clad coins. I save all of my clad and then tumble it at the end of the year and cash it in at the bank. The bank doesn't care if the coins are tarnished as long as they don't have dirt on them.

MoneyMan
12-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I'll check out the tumblers

Digger Don
01-01-2015, 11:02 AM
It looks like your getting the hang of it. Don't let the can slaw discourage you. There are thousand of varieties still in the ground.:lolsign:
We all dig em. Congrats on your new machine and the best of luck in 2015

mownomo
01-01-2015, 04:01 PM
MoneyMan,
Your finds look a lot like mine. (I have yet to find that Co2 cartridge though) It may be a lot of trouble for a lot of folks, but all aluminum is money in the bank. I save the can-slaw, pull tabs, sardine cans and etc. (that is if they are not too encrusted with mud) Clean aluminum brings 65 to 85 cents per pound here. Copper, brass & lead is even better. If you don't mind taking the time, a dremel with a wire wheel will clean coins enough for the bank to accept them. Pardon for the rant and keep up the good work.

BTV Digger
01-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Looks like you're quickly getting the hang of it. Agree with Tony and others' comments on the clad cleaning. Get yourself a rock tumbler. Bit of white aquarium gravel, few drops of dishwashing liquid, add coins (# depends on size of tumbler) and run for 12-24 hours...depending on degree of encrustation. Coins come out clean and redeemable at bank. Don't mix the silver coins (i.e. quarters/dimes etc) with the pennies. Do those separately. This should give you good results. Also...those post-1982 zinc pennies really corrode quickly in the ground. I save the ones in decent shape, but some are so corroded/eroded I just toss 'em. Best of luck on your future hunts in 2015.

John