PDA

View Full Version : CELLAR HOLES* 3 LARGE COPPERS*KEY DATE 1804?

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 08:20 PM
met up with Frank and Paul again for some holes i located quite a few towns away. bugs were relentless but we braved it out.
i came around a tree and stepped back :shocked04: whoa never seen a black snake like this scale a tree.is this a black racer? water snake?
finds are a cool ornate lock,2 of these heart shaped things.never found any of these before anyone have any ideas what they were used on?
2 suspender buckles.a dandy button and 3 large coppers.a 1787 Fugio,1804 draped bust and a holed 1818 matron head.
happy hunting everyone!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 08:21 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 08:23 PM
more pics

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 08:25 PM
more

del
06-26-2010, 08:56 PM
thats a tree snake lol lol :happydance01: Dave that is a great day buddy , congrats on the coppers . the heart shaped things are a type of suspender clip as well , kinda new design for their time .

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
thats a tree snake lol lol :happydance01: Dave that is a great day buddy , congrats on the coppers . the heart shaped things are a type of suspender clip as well , kinda new design for their time .

Dan

thanks Dan! and thanks for the id on the snake and heart shaped suspender clip. i owe these finds all to you bud! thanks for introducin me to cellar holes thumbsup01 :beerbuddy:

angellionel
06-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Great hunt, Dave! Those are some great coins. The place looks awesome, though that snake would have my hair standing on end, and I have none. lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Great hunt, Dave! Those are some great coins. The place looks awesome, though that snake would have my hair standing on end, and I have none. lol

rofl grow it! be a hippie like me and george! :peace:

angellionel
06-26-2010, 09:33 PM
rofl grow it! be a hippie like me and george! :peace:

It's too late for me. lol Actually, I like the clean cut. :cheesysmile: lol

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
It's too late for me. lol Actually, I like the clean cut. :cheesysmile: lol

clean cut is out! hair is in now i tell ya! <:

Cheap Thrills
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Great finds , pictures and post .I got a lot of enjoyment checking out this thread . It is really refreshing to see the some REALLY old dug stuff . Awesome pictures of the forest you are hunting in , it sure beats the heck out of the hunted out , trash laden , punk infested Suburbia Parks I've been hitting lately .Keep up the good work .I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts of finds like these . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Great finds , pictures and post .I got a lot of enjoyment checking out this thread . It is really refreshing to see the some REALLY old dug stuff . Awesome pictures of the forest you are hunting in , it sure beats the heck out of the hunted out , trash laden , punk infested Suburbia Parks I've been hitting lately .Keep up the good work .I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts of finds like these . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

thanks for the kind words ;) if you back track on the relic finds section you can see quite a bit more finds that we all(del,coinnut,sniffy & myself) made
at sites like this over the past year.
thanks again!
dave

z118
06-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Man I love seeing those pics. The woods out here just aren't like those sweet New England woods. Seems like it's all small trees and underbrush out here, and none of those giant trees and relatively clear ground. Looks like maybe a racoon skull? Great finds too (of course!) Congrats!

del
06-27-2010, 09:28 AM
i owe these finds all to you bud! thanks for introducin me to cellar holes thumbsup01 :beerbuddy:

Dave i just showed you a different aspect of the hobby and showed you a few pointers to get you started is all , it was all you to put the effort and have the drive to succeed at it . :yes: thumbsup01

now down to business, Dave that 1804 looks like the real deal to me as i can see the broken die areas on the reverse and it definately has the correct back and the crosslet 4 looks in the right spot as well. at only 96,500 minted makes it a very rare coin buddy , it would probably pay for a new machine in that shape even . :shocked04: mega congrats man thumbsup01 :clapping: thumbsup01

Dan

sniffy
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Dave, just be happy I didnt' come with you guys....that 1804 would look awesome in my bank account! rofl....awesome job Dave! Now get on the Hog and let the wind blow through your hair to the next cellar hole!

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 09:36 AM
hey Dave that 1804 looks like the real deal to me as i can see the broken die areas on the reverse and it definately has the correct back and the crosslet 4 looks in the right spot as well. at only 96,500 minted makes it a very rare coin buddy , it would probably pay for a new machine in that shape even . :shocked04:mega congrats man thumbsup01 :clapping: thumbsup01

Dan

i hope it is Dan.here's a slightly better pic of the obverse.if i remove any remaining corrosion the date will be gone :crying02:

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 11:33 AM
oh well :crying02: i guess it's not a 1804
don in sj wrote the following on this coin....

I have no idea why the last number looks like it does, but it is not an 1804. I determined that by looking at the reverse photo of the coin you posted, ah no influence on dating using the reverse.

It appears the reverse matches the Sheldon 224 variety of the year 1801, but you will have to look at your coin and a photo to determine, since the photo posted is not exactly clear for me to be 1000% sure but am very sure the reverse is not any of the reverses of a 1804.

If the fraction would have been clearer I would have said S-224 without any doubt, so take a comparison look at that. Now what I do see that first tells me it is not an 1804 is the great spacing between the words of STATES OF AMERICA, on the 1801 they are far apart for S-224 and on any 1804 they are much closer to each other. But the determining factor for me is where the leaves point to the first A in AMERICA. Yours matches S-224 from what I see and is nowhere near where the leaves point on any 1804. Also the position of the leaves above that one in pointing to the letter F in OF.

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s224.jpg

http://www.largecents.net/collection/coinpics/s266c.jpg

by looking at the leaf position and spacing I mentioned on these two examples you shoul easily see the differences I mentioned.

Don

BillZ
06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Nice finds!
I love hunting in the woods but now is too hot and buggy for me. We have had 20/ 90+ degree days in a row here with high humidity. It's really getting old.

I have a similar snake pic for you. Snakes are about the only thing in the woods that frighten me and seeing one climb a tree is really creepy.

This one was near the Appalachian trail in Maryland.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_0198.jpg

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Nice finds!
I love hunting in the woods but now is too hot and buggy for me. We have had 20/ 90+ degree days in a row here with high humidity. It's really getting old.

I have a similar snake pic for you. Snakes are about the only thing in the woods that frighten me and seeing one climb a tree is really creepy.

This one was near the Appalachian trail in Maryland.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii112/BillZBub68/IMG_0198.jpg

thanks! yeah i wasn't expecting to see this when i came around the tree that's for sure.
cool pic!

coinnut
06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey, I'm gone for a day and look what you find lol Nice 3 copper day! thumbsup01 You are the Fugio man rofl How many you got now?? That 1801 is a bummer. Still a great find but not the rare one. You should have sold it to sniffy before it was too late. :cheesysmile: Great looking areas, good coins and some fun hunting. Nice digs!! and nice snake by the way

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey, I'm gone for a day and look what you find lol Nice 3 copper day! thumbsup01 You are the Fugio man rofl How many you got now?? That 1801 is a bummer. Still a great find but not the rare one. You should have sold it to sniffy before it was too late. :cheesysmile: Great looking areas, good coins and some fun hunting. Nice digs!! and nice snake by the way

thanks man. that's 4 fugio's for me.one is taost though i dug with you

Ill Digger
06-28-2010, 12:02 AM
You should have sold it to sniffy before it was too late. :cheesysmile:
lol rofl lol rofl Nice!! lol

3 coppers?!! Did I call that or what?!!! :peace:
Thats just sweet!! That would never happen here Illi-stinkin'-nois :envious:
Normally snakes don't bother me ,but, to see that dude, at eye level, probably would've freaked me out :shocked04:
Great hunt !! And awesome pictures as usual thumbsup01
Congrats :grin:

SeabeeRon
06-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Seeeet finds Dave!! The Copa Wars are ON!! ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
06-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Seeeet finds Dave!! The Copa Wars are ON!! ;)

:grin: your funny Ron :yes: