PDA

View Full Version : Sunday and Monday cellar hunts and Tuesday Trifecta!

RIdirtdigger
01-01-2015, 10:58 AM
I headed out to CT to hunt with Isaac again on Sunday. We hit up a cellar very deep in the woods. It took us a while to find it but there the cellar was eventually right on top of a hill.
Right away we noticed fresh dig holes everywhere, very messy and open, looks like somebody beat us by a day.
A little while later Isaac gets an iffy signal and pulls out a cut copper coin. We couldn't identify this one sadly. I dug a flat button that was in the plug of somebody's else's hole and also gut a copper ring thing that rang up like a large cent :bummer: . Oh well, I also got some a nice horse shoe that was discarded by the previous hunters but was a keeper for me :lol:.

On Monday I went on a solo cellar hunt to two different locations. Didn't get much but pulled out a two rivets, a pewter button, and a musket ball.
Tuesday was by far my best day. I headed out to the park where I got my walking liberty half a few weeks ago and other silvers. I was digging clad for a while but pulled a ear ring marked .925 on the back. I move to a different location in the park and get a 92-97 signal about 5 inches down. I dig my hole and a merc literally comes flying out of the hole and lands on the grass next to the plug. Turns out to be a 1944. No idea why it rang up so high (yes I did recheck the hole). A little while later after digging two wheats and more clad I get an 80-82 signal about 3 inches deep and see a silver dime down in the hole. Its a 1964d rosie dime. I was on a roll. I stayed in the same general area and dug a bunch of memorials and clad dimes. About 15 minutes later I get a dime signal about 3 inches dime and see a worn silver disc down in the hole. I reach in and grab it and see that its a Barber Dime. Turns out to be an 1899, my second 1800's silver coin of the year. I was so excited that it took me a few minutes to release I had gotten my first trifecta!!!:lol: This put me at over 30 silvers for the year and 10 pulled from this one park alone. I am certainty going to continue to pound this park. Also dug a 2001 $20 coin from Jamaica which is my highest dug coin by face value but worth very little in US dollars. Overall I had a wonderful hunt and hope everyone is having a happy new year. 4538545386453874538845389

Tony Two-Cent
01-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Congrats on the colonial keepers and your first silver dime trifecta! That's awesome ! :thumbsup02:

The silver earring is a nice find too. :yes:

Curious why someone would leave a flat button in the plug. To us here in Illinois that would be a great find!

I wouldn't be surprised if del could identify the cut copper. Pressure's on, Dan! :thumbsup01:

Lodge Scent
01-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Good job on salvaging those finds. The cut copper is cool. There is always an influx of new detectorists this time of year. Unfortunately many of them haven't learned to fill in their holes yet.

BTV Digger
01-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Great finds and congrats on the trifecta. Got a similar park up here that will always be my fall-back spot. Always seem to pull an old wheat, .925 silver earring or a silver rosie when I detect there.

John

Bell-Two
01-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Sweet trifecta, the cut copper is neat gently massage it a bit and you may be able to ID it.

aloldstuff
01-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Wow Tony, nothing like putting a little pressure on Dan....;).

Nice dime trifecta and I'm in agreement with Lodge Scent about the new detectorists.

fsa46
01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
An outstanding hunt for sure. :congrats:

OxShoeDrew
01-02-2015, 08:49 AM
I don't recall ever finding three types of silver dimes :notworthy:
Nice job, I hope the weather holds up!

Swing-N-Dig NY
01-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Wow....was great finds!