PDA

View Full Version : NEL Coils any good?

MangoAve
01-05-2015, 10:42 AM
I been looking for a DD for my TR. Unfortunately very few places carry the coils with push-in connectors. There are some I did find with no mods needed from metaldetecting.com ($128) and KellyCo ($135).
EDIT: the push on styles I did find on those sites are not NEL brand.

I have been searching the internet a bit for the past few months, besides for the research for places, and I did stumble upon some information the coils for the fisher F4 work on Bounty Hunter models. Yes, yes... there might be a plan to upgrade my machine but I can still become proficient with this one and tweek (not twerk) my attack on detecting spots. Has anyone used the NEL coils? I just shot them an email asking if they have any coils with push-on connectors because they do carry coils for the BH models without a discription of connection style. It would be better to change at the machine to mate with screw on connector but it is still in BH's 5 year warranty so I will have to see about having them do the work so I don't void warranty. I am sure that even tho I work at an FAA/CAAC, ISO9110 shop that it won't grant exception to the warranty. That being said, most issues are at the connector (with electronics in general). It's the weakest link, hence why I would like to change the connector...But it would leave my stock 8" and spare 4" useless (unless there is an adapter). Just wondering tho if anyone has used the NEL coils even if not for the BH models. Due to categories, tho, I had to post under the BH section of the forum.

EDIT: I did find forums and possible home made adaptees using a mic cable for the threaded 5 pin end and get solder mating connector for 6 pin DIN. Whichever way. Male-female to keep stock panel connector or Female-male to replace stock connector but still be able to use old coils with new connector.

MangoAve
01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
No one? Some places say these are in demand and are stable and sensitive. I found a dealer that says push in connectors is a special order option. Waiting on a reply from them. NO need for an adapter or any mod to control box. Thinking to get the Sharpshuter or Hunter coil. Would the large DD be harder to differentiate when multiple targets are under the huge coil? The Big, Attack, Storm, and Tornado I am thinking are more for hunting open fields where you can swing that monster and there might be areas with quiet ground and possibility for targets to be far in between. Sure these are not for a trashy park. I figure just a slight step up in size from stock 8" to use a 9.5x 5.5 or 12.5x 8.5 would give slightly greater depth and better separation due to the DD configuration. Maybe like the target separation of a 4" but depth of a 10"...

Nesdore
01-14-2015, 07:35 PM
http://golddiggermetaldetectors.com/nelcoils.phpBest price ive found ill be getting the Sharpshuter for my ace 350 ive heard nothing but good things about the NEL coils

MangoAve
01-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Nesdore, I found two places that carry them for the same price. The only difference is one has free shipping. You, only needing screw on, which is more readily available, and for the 350 I only saw it at gold digger. So the other site wouldn't help you out. I just checked their list. I found mixed reviews about both the SEF and NEL. Like 1 out or 5 reviews for each brand (SEF being Detech) were negative saying the new coil caused the machine to be erratic. All the other ones including air test videos I saw on Youtube for both brands show they go deeper and had better separation. I have a feeling they will be better.

Ill Digger
01-15-2015, 08:06 AM
I don't know anything about them. I seen them over the summer. I always liked my 6x10 for my DFX. I was thinking about trying out the NEL 5.5 x 9.5 for my Etrac. They're not giving those things away!!! :shocked04:
Maybe I'll give one a shot this summer...:dontknow:

Ill Digger
01-15-2015, 09:24 AM
I just seen on a website, for the 5.5 x 9.5 they're asking $122.
That's not quite as bad as I remembered. :thinkingabout:
Maybe I will have to give one a shot.

MangoAve
01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
Yeah Tim. They are a bit lower than MSRP and definitely lower than the SEF. I believe the SEF for the F2/F4 was 180. The sharpshooter for the F2/F4, which I need, is 101 while the 11" DD I found either 127 or 136 depending on place. The 11"DD is merely the stock for a pro package detector. Not an upgrade coil. Tim/Nes, mine will take a few weeks because my machine has the push on connector. You can wait a bit yourselves to see how mine turns out. Different machines so if I get 2" more depth and better separation, there is no guarantee yours will get 2" BUT you should still get at least more depth and separation. May not be equivalent but similar outcome to reiterate. I will probably give it a try somewhere maybe in the woods or just in the backyard where I can do whatever test. Even bury a coin in a big flower pot and use garden soil.

MangoAve
01-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Looks like the item has arrived at customs at least. Then from there to a distributor. So sometime next week I should have it. Any chance all this snow will be gone by then? :daydream: Maybe I can bury coins in the snow to test it out. :lol: Or use my idea of a big flower pot with soil. Note tho I said mine is special order for the push in connector style. I woulda had it two weeks ago if I could use the screw on connector.

MangoAve
02-11-2015, 09:34 AM
It would have arrived Monday at my door if my driveway wasn't filled with snow while I was at work. It got re-delivered yesterday. So far it's impressive. I might have been better to get the hunter series, but I didn't find the hunter for the F2/F4 with Colonial. The size of the wire is a bit impressive. Maybe it's triple shielded and the Tx Rx channels are thicker wires. Plug and play. Worked perfect with my Time Ranger. The numbers didn't even change, but the readings are more stable. It arrived just in time to not be able to use it. If I get a few farms, like one I saw in my travels a few times to a friend's house, with ridic fields I might think about something like the Big or Tornado series. The cellar holes I have are filled with a ton of iron so the sharpshooter might be my best bet. Still going to do something with depth and separation comparison to stock 8" coil.

Nesdore
02-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Awesome glad to hear you got it.....can you post a pic of it just to see what it looks like all hooked up ill be getting mine shortly cant wait

Ill Digger
02-11-2015, 08:06 PM
OK, OK! I can't wait any longer. I just ordered one too. :lol:
Nesdore, I went through Windy City Detectors and they are selling theirs for the same price as the site you mentioned.
Now I've got two small coils for the E-trac. Sometime I'll have to try a bigger than stock coil. :thinkingabout:
Maybe if I win the Powerball tonight! :crossfingers:

MangoAve
02-11-2015, 08:16 PM

NES, here's the pics. It came with the velcro strap for the wire on shaft and came with a set of hardware too With rubber washers. And coil cover as they say on the site. Tim, if you win the power ball you can buy me a second (larger) one too. Haha. I ain't asking much. Maybe then you can not work and spend your time detecting. Travel where it's warm when the ground is frozen. I made the joke to the gf " ok we're going to Tahiti cuz there's a treasure yet to be found that's classified as real. Lol. :daydream:

Nesdore
02-11-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks Ill for the other site GL with the lotto I agree with mango it's not asking much to buy us both a new bigger coil :rofl: and mango thanks for the pictures looks very well made can't wait to get mine envious of you:envious:

Ill Digger
02-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Tim, if you win the power ball you can buy me a second (larger) one too. Haha. I ain't asking much.

Thanks Ill for the other site GL with the lotto I agree with mango it's not asking much to buy us both a new bigger coil :rofl:

:coffeelaugh: My first "new best friends"! :lol:

Nesdore
02-11-2015, 10:38 PM
:rofl:

MangoAve
02-12-2015, 07:11 AM
:coffeelaugh: My first "new best friends"! :lol:

I'm not the type where my friendship needs to be bought..... but it doesn't hurt. :lol: You do have to admit I'm not asking for a Koenigsegg if you win. Or pretending to be a long lost relative or the tax man. With all that free time you will have to detect and a $7000 machine, you need to help otherwise it will be one sided with you posting all the finds. :lol:

Ill Digger
02-12-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm not the type where my friendship needs to be bought..... but it doesn't hurt. :lol: You do have to admit I'm not asking for a Koenigsegg if you win. Or pretending to be a long lost relative or the tax man. With all that free time you will have to detect and a $7000 machine, you need to help otherwise it will be one sided with you posting all the finds. :lol:
Well I guess I don't have to worry about going into hiding. No winning ticket here. :disgusted:
The coil Nazi, "no free coils for you!" :lol:

Nesdore
02-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Well I guess I don't have to worry about going into hiding. No winning ticket here. :disgusted:
The coil Nazi, "no free coils for you!" :lol:
Lol dang o well I think I might buy one anyway :beerbuddy:

Nesdore
02-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Just ordered my sharpshooter, jolly roger head phones and ready shovel to carry my t handle shovel happy early birthday to me lol

MangoAve
02-13-2015, 07:48 AM
Just ordered my sharpshooter, jolly roger head phones and ready shovel to carry my t handle shovel happy early birthday to me lol

Had to check your bio for what you swing. You must have gotten the 350 when it was just a 10" concentric. I had no idea of the ready shovel. I only remember Del's hook-mod to his old shovel. $17 is a bit for a piece of plastic and leather, but the plastic coil covers cost about the same anyway. Thinking for a mini-sampson and now a ready shovel. Early b-day gift for me, by... a day. lol Hope you like the Nel, cuz it would mean I did a good with research and suggesting.

Nesdore
02-13-2015, 01:04 PM
No I have the 8.5 x 11 DD wanted something smaller for trashy areas

Ill Digger
02-15-2015, 12:33 AM
:happydance01: IT CAME!!
They even threw in a few extra freebees!!
A trash pouch, a small LED flashlight, and a box of valentines day candies! :smitten:
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/CAM00002_zpsy4ub5xjj.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/CAM00002_zpsy4ub5xjj.jpg.html)

Nesdore
02-15-2015, 12:38 AM
:thumbsup02: that's awesome mine should be here Tuesday :crossfingers: I hope but doesn't really matter :lolsign:

MangoAve
02-16-2015, 07:52 AM
:happydance01: IT CAME!!
They even threw in a few extra freebees!!
A trash pouch, a small LED flashlight, and a box of valentines day candies!
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx310/IllDigger/CAM00002_zpsy4ub5xjj.jpg (http://s766.photobucket.com/user/IllDigger/media/CAM00002_zpsy4ub5xjj.jpg.html)

Cool. You got yourself a valentine. I choo-choo-choose you. Mine didn't come with such nice gifts. Hope you can used yours soon. Same with Nes. I got $150 with gift cards from this weekend. Maybe I can think to buy the storm or tornado come late spring once I get to try the sharpshooter out.

Nesdore
02-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Well got my packages yesterday my coil, headphones, and ready shovel but one problem they sent me the wrong coil :girlcry: thank goodness I didn't wait til it was detecting weather I really would have been disappointed but I talk to the guy I bought it from he sent me a ups label to return it and mine is on its way hopefully it's the right one this time lol :crossfingers:

Ill Digger
02-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Well got my packages yesterday my coil, headphones, and ready shovel but one problem they sent me the wrong coil :girlcry: thank goodness I didn't wait til it was detecting weather I really would have been disappointed but I talk to the guy I bought it from he sent me a ups label to return it and mine is on its way hopefully it's the right one this time lol :crossfingers:

Oh man! Bummer! :duh:
Thats one thing I always fear when ordering things. Hopefully your return go's well.
Out of curiosity, what coil did they send you? :huh:

Nesdore
02-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Out of curiosity, what coil did they send you? :huh:
It was the sharpshooter but for a Whites Coinmaster/Prism

Ill Digger
02-18-2015, 11:33 PM
It was the sharpshooter but for a Whites Coinmaster/Prism

Oh, OK. I was wondering if the sent you the tornado or the other big one.

Nesdore
02-18-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh, OK. I was wondering if the sent you the tornado or the other big one.
No if they would've I might of kept it :lol: ....not really I would have called them still :)

MangoAve
02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
I did test mine right away. I do believe since mine was special order that it had less chance of being the wrong item. I did however get a coil cover for my stock 8" that wont fit and I have to return or exchange. I will see how this one works after a few hunts and I might get a tornado or storm and never use my stock 8" again. :lol: Good thing they accepted their mistake tho.

No if they would've I might of kept it :lol: ....not really I would have called them still :)

:lol:

Digger_O'Dell
09-10-2015, 06:46 PM
To reopen this topic, I was wondering how everyone has been doing with their NEL coils. I have heard nothing but good things about them other than the occasional griping about falsing by someone obviously ignorant on how to use their machine. As I posted elsewhere, I am purchasing the Attack and Hunter coils for my X-Terra 705, and going with the new all frequency version.

Any feedback would be terrific!
Thanks

MangoAve
09-11-2015, 07:24 AM
....other than the occasional griping about falsing by someone obviously ignorant on how to use their machine.

Any feedback would be terrific!

The correct way to say it is that they are ignorant how a metal detector works in general. I do believe all machines have their occasional falsing from iron. It's just inherent. Idk how many times I have read a good target over a larger (iron) washer due to it's shape. The manual for my new white's and the manual for the garrett both (completely different manufacturers and no same parent company like Technetiks and Fisher and Bounty Hunter) state about hearing bottle caps even tho the majority of the mineral content is iron.

I have heard a bit of good things to them as well, both before and after I got the coil. Just yesterday in a FB group I was seeing someone posting about a new NEL sharpshooter they received and the 'veteran' members were saying about it working really well. Air testing with the stock when I first got the FIRST machine I didn't have a problem with iron next to a good target. BUT that was an air test and the iron didn't have a chance to oxidize and halo in the ground near the target. Sure I did pull up a large cent next to iron with the stock CC, I do believe the DD sharpshooter helped out significantly. I too did an air test when the NEL arrived and it was still too cold to go outside and it performed much better. Maybe once I put on the NEL, I was finally able to see the limitations of the machine?? Once I saw a target a foot away from a big iron fence post that was cut at the top of the concrete footing that would only appear when I cut the swing short over the target area, I learned of the machine's limitation on recovery time.

To get a comparison with the White's10 DD I might have to literally do a side by side comparison. The white's has a faster recovery time (...and I do quite often hear it false off iron in one direction), but it is a round DD. The NEL sharpshooter is more of a butterfly DD shape so the transmit coil and receive coil seem to have a narrower width. This being said, the White's right near a cellar picked out a few lantern pieces within the iron however the reading were unstable but always in the non-ferrous range. I have a few cellars by the side of the road so I may actually do a legitimate side by side comparison at a place I can carry both machines to and do a real test. Maybe it would be YouTube worthy for those interested in DD and coil shape AND NEL coils.

Overall tho, I will still reiterate that a NEL coil was a good investment. Possibly the same as a SEF coil. I just went with NEL due to needing a push-in connector and they offered it. Plus as you heard as well, the good reviews. The coil does look solidly constructed. The ears for mounting were tight to fit the shaft into. Which reminds me that I lost the damn nut for the new machine somewhere. I have to either buy a 5/16" nylon nut at HD or buy a new set online specifically for an MD. Ugh. I'd laugh if someone questions why the nut needs to be nylon. (NOT Teflon Dan/Dave/Todd. lol).

nalc472
09-12-2015, 11:13 AM
I have the NEL tornado for the E-trac and F75LTD2. I Paid for the Tornado for the E-trac first time out with a 10 gram gold ring. Also found my 1822 half dollar with the E-trac and Tornado. Still not sure o the F75, However I believe it will start fiinding good stuff.

4runnerguy
10-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Running the Sharpshooter on my T2 and love it!

nalc472
04-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Getting my Sharpshooter for my F75 today. Already have one for my E-trac and love it. Hope the F75 will find an epic find today. The best finds I have ever found with the F75 was with the 5 inch coil. Hope this coil goes a little deeper to find some more goodys. Going to a site I have pounded to death. However found a slq and v nickel last time and hope to find some more. THis house is 1840. It is a big mansion type home