PDA

View Full Version : Detecting around mineral springs

BTV Digger
01-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience detecting around old mineral springs in your area? Doing my customary compiling of potential property sites to hunt this coming spring/summer by combing through historical maps and state GIS parcel/tax data etc. Am curious about some of the older mineral springs listed on some of the 1800s maps. I know these were quite popular spots for folks back then...not all of them of course (some were more known than others). Just wondering if any of you have had any luck detecting around these. I've found quite a few on the older maps, many of which are simply out in an old farm field etc. Just curious if you think those would be worth my effort. Thanks for any feedback you may have.

Regards,

John

del
01-14-2015, 05:44 PM
John they are definitely worth checking out , they were not only popular with early settlers but Native Americans knew and used these as well.

Dan

mownomo
01-14-2015, 10:24 PM
John,
Check out the "Crazy Water Hotel" in Mineral Wells, Texas. In the 30's, they came from all over the world to experience the healing waters.

BTV Digger
01-15-2015, 01:56 PM
John they are definitely worth checking out , they were not only popular with early settlers but Native Americans knew and used these as well.

Dan

Thanks for the followup Dan. Yeah, I've found several while searching maps for other homesites. A few actually have proper names so I may very well check those out come springtime.

John