PDA

View Full Version : Pseudo Madelinus silver/gold 7th century AD

Johan K
01-18-2015, 01:07 PM
Hi there ! I've been away for a while due to study and work. Next tuesday I'll have my final exam, then I'll have plenty time to swing the coil again !
But, in december last year I did some hunting in my spare moments of time. I did an amazing find. I found a coin of the 7th century (650-670) and made of silver, it contains
10 % Gold. A very rare find. The coin was made by a mint-master named Madelinus (during the Merovingian period, 400-700 AD). The coin used to be made of solid gold, but this one was made of silver. Fine with me haha. Last summer I went to France, found me a beautifull Roman Coin, I didn't had to clean it up. Came right out of the soil tis way. Enjoy the pic's !!

mownomo
01-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Johan, those coins are just amazing. I can't imagine how it feels to hold something so old. Thanks for sharing.

del
01-23-2015, 04:15 AM
Johan both are in remarkable condition !:omg: I would be amazed to find and hold something that old !

Willems
02-16-2015, 04:38 PM
A lot off reactions here.
Shame you guys for these coins ;)
Nice johan, great finds.

Pacivilwarluke
02-18-2015, 08:25 PM
It's incrdible to ponder what those coins saw, and how long they sat in the ground as history happened around them. Thanks for sharing and congrats!

isabel
03-18-2015, 02:37 AM
Congratulations ! that's a pretty rare coin !

Restoring Your Finds
03-19-2015, 06:17 AM
:congrats: Beautiful finds !! Finding a coin from the Merovingian era is really a dream ! You got lucky finding this Roman so clean ! But please... leave some stuff in the ground when you go to France, I am also there every Summer and I still hope Don-in-ny will stop by some day. :lol: