PDA

View Full Version : Another hunt at my colonial site in the SC lowcountry!

Pacivilwarluke
01-19-2015, 06:52 PM
I was down in the lowcountry of SC this weekend, and was able to enjoy some beautiful weather for digging! So my dad and I went to our late colonial spot that we've had good luck at previously and came home with a nice haul. We got to the spot and hiked back into the woods to a hotspot we found, loaded with iron and the occasional high conductive target. Within 10 minutes I had some brass tacks, a huge brass buckle, and a few buck and balls. Then I got an ornate watch key that seems to have the all seeing eye on it! Because of some history I know on the site it may be Masonic.i then dug a arrow shaped harness boss and a pointed boss. One actually had a .50 caliber musketball in the hole with it! A while later dad calls me over and shows me a button. It is very ornate and has 15 linked chains ( I think it may be patriotic, but if someone could I'd it we'd be thrilled) not a few minutes after I got a gorgeous silver plated scalloped and etched flat button! It's one of my favorite colonial buttons I've dug so far. Dad then got a .50 musketbal, a rosette, an early cast daggurotype frame, and a broken silvered shoe buckle. I got some more horse related stuff, another engraved flat button and a few other odds and ends and called it a day. It was great to get out hunting in mid January! HH and good luck to everyone! 457164571745718457194572045721

Lodge Scent
01-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Some great buttons for sure. You got some interesting "odds and ends" too. Nice hunt :congrats:

Bell-Two
01-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Nice finds some very nice buttons. That Dag frame is an early one the simpler the cut on them the earlier they are the plain oval cut signifies probably early 1840's.

Pacivilwarluke
01-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Some great buttons for sure. You got some interesting "odds and ends" too. Nice hunt :congrats:
Thanks! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
01-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Nice finds some very nice buttons. That Dag frame is an early one the simpler the cut on them the earlier they are the plain oval cut signifies probably early 1840's.
Thankd! I figured it was early since its cast brass and not stamped like most I've seen! HH!

del
01-20-2015, 03:36 PM
some great relics Luke , i love the scalloped edged silver plated button :smitten:and the watch winder . the first picture shows some interesting pieces as well is there any markings on the belt tip piece ??

BTV Digger
01-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Great hunt and site. Nice pics and especially like the scalloped button and the watch key...that one is neat. By the way, anything on the front of the rosette?

John

OxShoeDrew
01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
There's got to be more stuff there! What is SC? Congrats!!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-26-2015, 10:32 AM
awesome relics! love the linked chain button.any coins come from that site in the past?

Pacivilwarluke
02-01-2015, 08:21 PM
some great relics Luke , i love the scalloped edged silver plated button :smitten:and the watch winder . the first picture shows some interesting pieces as well is there any markings on the belt tip piece ??
Thank you! Which one is the belt tip?

Pacivilwarluke
02-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Great hunt and site. Nice pics and especially like the scalloped button and the watch key...that one is neat. By the way, anything on the front of the rosette?

John It was silver plated at one point but it's mostly worn off. Thanks and HH!

Pacivilwarluke
02-01-2015, 08:24 PM
There's got to be more stuff there! What is SC? Congrats!!
It's gotta be a hundred acre site, barely scratched the surface. Sc is South Carolina, one of my favorite places to dig! HH!

Pacivilwarluke
02-01-2015, 08:28 PM
awesome relics! love the linked chain button.any coins come from that site in the past?
There's actually been a shortage of coins at this site. In the three hunts we've been there only one coin has been found, a king George the second young head. Hopefully next hunt will yield some nice colonial silver! Thankd and HH!

Isaac
02-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Can't wait to see what else you find here... love those designed buttons and shoe buckle frag!

pa-searcher
02-06-2015, 11:00 AM
for a colonial site,you guys have been cleaning house there.thanks for sharing those neat historical pieces