PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt of 2015 - Indians and Barbers

Tony Two-Cent
01-24-2015, 09:00 PM
It was a gorgeous day here today! Sunny with a high of 49 degrees. I was able to detect even though the ground is still rather frozen. Some places were easier to dig than others.

At the first park I found 3 Wheat Cents and 2 Barber Dimes. The dimes are dated 1897 and 1903-O.

At the second park I found 2 Indian Heads, 8 Wheat Cents and 1 Mercury Dime.

Here are today's finds:

And the keepers:

The two Barber Dimes were about a foot apart along the edge of an old sidewalk at the first park.

Some of the non-coin objects I found today. I always enjoy finding the old coal scatter tags, and I hadn't found one from this brand before:

The wings aren't marked, I think they are silver plated:

It sure was nice getting out in January! Last year I wasn't able to go detecting until mid March.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Digger Don
01-24-2015, 09:19 PM
Looks like your off to the races Tony. 3 Silvers already :wow:
I'm glad you found some soft ground today. It really paid off for you.
Congrats on all your finds. I'm looking forward to all your posts this season.

Full Metal Digger
01-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Very nice finds Tony. Congratulations on scoring some great keepers. The barbers are in amazing shape. The GOC (ground observer corps) was started in WW2 and ended in 1944. It's purpose was to spot any Japanese or German planes that might invade America. It was brought back to life in the 1950s to help spot any USSR planes that might invade. It was disbanded in 1958 with the development of "over the horizon" radar. WW2 versions of the wings were sometimes sterling but the 50's versions were as you suspected, silver plated.

Ill Digger
01-25-2015, 01:44 AM
Oh no. Your already 3 ahead of me! :duh: Now I'll never catch up ! :rolleyes:
Be gentle please! :crossfingers: :lol:
Nice start to the season Tony!
Congrats!! :grin:
I'm gonna try a field spot tomorrow. I'll have to see if we get any of this snow storm tonight.

Mr. Digger
01-25-2015, 08:07 AM
Congrats Tony! Thanks for sharing, as I am detecting vicariously through others on the Internet....6 inches of snow yesterday and another foot and 1/2 coming Tuesday here in the Boston area!

Restoring Your Finds
01-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Very neat finds ! I never get tired of IHs and Barbers !

Nesdore
01-25-2015, 04:46 PM
:wow: Tony great way to kick off 2015 2 Barbers and 2 Indian Heads and a Merc to boot HUGE CONGRATS

BTV Digger
01-25-2015, 05:33 PM
Great finds Tony and you're off and running again. Got a question for you. I know it varies from place to place/hunt to hunt but what would you guess are the average coin depths for the barbers/mercs you find? I've found a few silvers with my F2 over the past year and a half since I picked up this great hobby, but not many. I'm imagining most of those coins are a tad deep for my machine in the standard town park.

John

Tony Two-Cent
01-25-2015, 05:46 PM
Got a question for you. I know it varies from place to place/hunt to hunt but what would you guess are the average coin depths for the barbers/mercs you find?

The majority of the Mercs are about 6 inches deep, and the Barbers average about 7 inches. Rarely do I find silver dimes that are over 8 inches deep.

The Rebel
01-25-2015, 07:37 PM
WTG Tony! Glad you were able to snag some keepers. We're under a blizzard warning tonight. Snow drifts are expects to be 4 to 6 FEET!

mownomo
01-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Glad you were able to hunt Tony. As usual, you brought home the bacon. I love the wings. I remember them well. My uncle was an observer and later an officer in the Civil Air Patrol. Keep up the good work. Always enjoy your posts.

GA1dad
01-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Looks like a pocket full of keepers! 2015 is looking good!!

Tony Two-Cent
01-26-2015, 02:12 PM
The GOC (ground observer corps) was started in WW2 and ended in 1944. It's purpose was to spot any Japanese or German planes that might invade America. It was brought back to life in the 1950s to help spot any USSR planes that might invade. It was disbanded in 1958 with the development of "over the horizon" radar. WW2 versions of the wings were sometimes sterling but the 50's versions were as you suspected, silver plated.

Thanks for this information, Dave, I really appreciate it. I hadn't researched the wings yet so I had no idea how old they were.

Good to know! :yes:

Trooper Bri
01-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Congrats on getting out and getting that silver count started Tony! Only thing detectors are good for here today (and a while) is finding the car.

Dan
01-29-2015, 03:14 PM
Great hunt Tony, nice pile of keepers! That coal tag is really neat...need to put that on my list! Looks like some cold temps moving in next week....Saturday may be the last "unfrozen ground" day for a while...:( HH & GL, Dan

aloldstuff
02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Tony, sorry for the late reply. Once again you got a handful of keepers. :congrats:on the silvers and IH's. By the way it looks around here detecting by March is at best hopeful.