PDA

View Full Version : Found Some Thawed Ground - 1st Silver & Buff of 2015

Digger Don
01-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Alec and I decided to try a hunt today. I went out a couple of hours before daybreak and tried sticking the lesche in the ground. No problem sunk right in. So off we went. Drove about 3 hours south to hunt a couple of parks that Alec found on Google. We got there a little after sun up. The ground was hard as a rock, we couldn't dig at all. Talk about disappointment.
Ok, long story short. during the coarse of the day, the temp went from 32 up to 48 and it was sunny all day. Later in the morning we saw a town that was founded in 1838 ( that's old for Illinois ) so we stopped at a little park that we found there.
The ground was soft as butter and I managed to dig a 1912 Barber Dime there. First Silver of the year! Alec & I each got 1 wheat.
On the way north, we hit another small park, again the ground was frozen. We hit one more park before heading home and Alec dug a nice 1937 Buffalo nickel out of the very soft dirt. Also the 1st of the year.
It was a little frustrating today, but it was great to get out and dig a few holes. And a couple of keepers to boot!!

Tony Two-Cent
01-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the nice start to 2015! :clapping:

I was surprised at the frozen ground today too. I drove about 1 hour west of here and the ground was still frozen solid in some spots. I guess we should take what we can get this time of year.

Way to sniff out a couple of January keepers! :thumbsup02:

Nesdore
01-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Congrats on the Barber and Dated Buff.:thumbsup02:

Glad to see you got out for a little bit spring will be here soon I think like 50 some days cant wait :cool:

freemindstuck
01-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Congrats on the finds! I went out a few days ago and checked the ground in my yard which was still frozen. Maybe I should have looked around a little more?

BTV Digger
01-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Congrats on making the effort and getting some rewards Don. At least you're digging. Another big east coast storm on way and the ground here in northern New England is rock solid down to a foot or more. Alas I await until late March/early April. Best...

John

mownomo
01-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Congratulations on the nice finds. Great start for the new year. Hope you can get in some more hunts despite the hard pan.