PDA

View Full Version : Battled the briars,,, first hunt of 2015

GA1dad
01-31-2015, 08:14 PM
We have a historic park here in town. It is hunted regularly, but there are still good coins being found. A 1909 Barber dime was found in December. There is an abandoned railroad that borders one side of the park. The railroad was elevated about 30 feet above the park grade, and it is heavily grown over with trees and briars. I've had it in my mind that that railroad hill probably gets overlooked because there is so much more that is easily accessible. (Most of the detectorists I know are aging and have knee issues :grin:)

Well I rooted my way in today to explore the hill, and vowed to dig every signal. It didn't produce much, but I had fun and got out of the house. A few clad coins, an old key and plenty of railroad iron. Probably the coolest item was the flattened penny. Although my daughter did stake claim to the pink beret.

Any ideas what the looped iron piece is??

Dan
02-01-2015, 12:59 AM
Great hunt! No idea on that piece of iron.
Any day hunting is better then sitting in the house....:)
HH & GL, Dan

Tony Two-Cent
02-01-2015, 08:01 AM
I like your plan to "think outside the box" when hunting a public site. Hunting in an area that others may have avoided has the potential to be a recipe for success.

I have no idea what that bog iron loop is, but it sure is interesting. Possibly related to the railroad, I'd say.

GA1dad
02-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Any day hunting is better then sitting in the house....:)
HH & GL, Dan

Yep,,, won't find my first silver from my recliner.

After really paying attention to some folks "first year of finds", I've come to realize I am way behind the curve. I've also realized it's because I haven't really been applying myself. Being in The South, I generally don't hunt in the dead of summer when the mosquitos are rampant. I have also been lazy when it comes to digging deep, and digging iffy signals ( anything deeper than 4", and below 70 on the VDI ). This approach really held me back in finding any older coins. I had an eye opener in December when I dug an iffy 50's signal that lead to my first "dug" wheat cents. That meager dig really drove home a point, and I'm vowing to make 2015 a productive year. After really focusing on ground balance, the Bounty Hunter Platinum is proving to have the capability,,,, I've just got to do my part to make the most out of it's readings. After all, 9V batteries aren't exactly cheap.

mownomo
02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
We are on the same page. I get so interested in getting a strong repeatable signal, that I walk right past the potentially valuable signal. I will try to dig some maverick signals, but if it is clay, gravel or under a 6 inch diameter tree root, I let it go. Maybe if I were to double the Celebrex dosage I could find more interest in the deeper, weaker beeps:lol:. Thanks for sharing the finds, and like the others the looped piece of iron doesn't ring a bell. Good huntin'

BTV Digger
02-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Definitely my plan of attack as well if in a park. Hit the out of the way places first. Many pass these spots up.

John