PDA

View Full Version : Finally, something older than me!

mownomo
02-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Since it looks like my only find here on the ranch will be post 1971, I ventured into the nearby town of Hawkins.
Did some askin' around and wound up at the park near downtown. Found a lot of clad, but also go some interesting items. I don't know what the oblong thing is, but it has a little bit of fabric pinched into it's groove on the side.

I remember the little chicken from my kids toys. It is for stamping out animals of modeling clay. The large medallion is from a truckers winch line and is still available today. (got me excited with a 87-88 reading)

But the neat thing was the aluminum token and the shotgun shell base. The token from the "Great Depression" era reads "Consumer Tax Token Oklahoma" and on the other side is "For Old Age Assistance". It was pretty much oxidized over. The shell base reads "U.M.C. Co. New Club" "No. 10". I found out that it was a paper shell and was discontinued in 1911. Wow! Finally a find older than me! It was 75 degrees that day and I only spent an hour there, so when the weather gets back to normal I will be back. (sorry some of the pics got rotated) Thanks for looking.

Skamaniac
02-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Very cool! I'm glad you got out and got a few good hits. I like that token. I haven't been out for a while now due to rain and and job hunting (got a layoff notice). Keep on swinging!

Digger Don
02-02-2015, 04:52 PM
Congrats on some pretty cool finds.
I love those old tax tokens, great find !!

aloldstuff
02-03-2015, 07:57 AM
I love to see those tax tokens posted. :congrats:on getting something older that yourself and now that you know the age of the headstamp I'd be hitting that park real good.

freemindstuck
02-03-2015, 03:12 PM
I like the tax token too. Dug one just like it last summer. That one is Aluminum, but with the zinc ones you need to coat them with hair spray or poly because they oxidize and the details disappear within a few hours of being dug up.

Dan
02-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Great hunt! Those shotgun head stamps are pretty neat. Congrats on the tax token. :)

HH & GL, Dan

leslie(nova scotia)
02-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Now the next step.....something twice as old as you! Nice scoff and dig man dig!