PDA

View Full Version : Tell us about your Favorite Hunting Spot of 2014

Digger Don
02-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Here is ours!!

Alec and I found one park this year that really stood out from the others. It was by far the most productive and the most fun. We named it Five-Cent Park.

This park provided me with my first "V" nickel ever.

We hunted there 3 times and found:
15 Buffalo Nickels
6 V nickels
3 War nickels
2 Rosies
3 Mercs
6 Barber dimes
7 Indians
20 wheats
1 Token
1 foreign coin

( and after all that, we met Tony Two-Cent there for a hunt and He found 11 Silvers, 5 V nickels, buffs & Indians )

By far the best Park we've ever found. Normally, if we're lucky, we get one or two good coins at the parks we find.

Tell us about your best site or most memorable hunt of 2014

Lodge Scent
02-21-2015, 12:02 PM
Wow, that was a great spot Don. 2014 was a bust for me as far as actually getting out to hunt often but fortunately I did hit one cellar hole site early in 2014 that eventually gave up 10 coppers including my first NJ copper and Hard Times Token over the course of several visits. That site gave up my only silver of the year too. A really sweet Draped Bust dime.

Isaac
02-21-2015, 09:09 PM
THE 1824 HOUSE, YARD OF FIRSTS!

My favorite spot would have to be the tiny 1824 house I got permission to hunt. It has been hit once before but obviously they didn't do to good of a job! I've been there 6 times in about 6 weeks and it's paid off highly! Owners are real nice people as well, I was able to donate a handful of relics to the owners that show what people of previous generations lost at the house and what type of activity went on at this house such as a skeleton key, child's toys, lock, buttons, and a civil war bullet. This was the house of "firsts" as I got MANY of those while I was there. :)

On day one I was able to determine the yard was NOT filled in and I managed to pull out some period finds, including my first two-cent piece, first gardener bullet, a real nice brass skeleton key and a matron head large cent ! This really got me excited for day two... most of those finds were later in the hunt when I found the "hot-spot". On day two, I really was focusing on gridding the LEFT side of the front yard, where I pulled the matron, two-center, and gardener. I gridded it from a different direction and went really slow. My first find that day was a beat 1865 indian head and then... BAM!!! A huge "first" for me!!! My FIRST 1700s silver, first reale, first pistareen, first cut silver, first cut reale, first colonial silver, and oldest coin yet!!!!! I was dazed the whole hunt after that... but still managed to pull out my first shield nickel!!! Then... unbelievably my last target of the night... was... a SOLID GOLD... pocket watch winder/key. My best day metal detecting yet at that point!!! My third day there was even better man... I didn't know it was possible but IT GOT EVEN BETTER!!! I stopped playing around with the left side of the front yard and headed for the right side. My first target is a toy soldier... second... AMAZING 1878 indian, I got some other semi-key date indian head "firsts" as well on this day. My next target after that indian head was my FIRST TRIME, 1853!!! Again, I was shaking the rest of the hunt... but not long after I get another signal and it's a SEATED DIME! My FIRST!!! 1886. Unbelievable day I've had thus far... next target was a V NICKEL... unbelievable but this was ANOTHER FIRST!!! -- 1900. Then I get a musketball and another confederate bullet. Then... believe it or not... a eagle coat button surfaces!!! again, another first!!! Then a gold plated bracelet, a couple flat buttons and by then it's almost time to go... BAM!!! LIGHTNING STRIKES!!! A got an 81 signal and I freakin' dig a SPANISH DOLLAR! 1790 HALF OF AN 8 REALE, "is this hunt 4 reale???" LOL, another first. AMAZING DAY!!! By then I was running to the car cause I had to go by then!!! I almost crapped my pants!!! I go back a few days later and I hope to find at least a couple more old relics or coins, to pick something out from where I dug before. I end up getting an AMAZING 1869 indian in AU (dug though) and a CAPPED BUST HALF DIME !!!! My first!!!! :lolsign: then the finds started deteriorating but on my last hunts I got a few more buttons, a 1851 large cent, 1903 dog tag (my oldest!) and a few other odds and ends. Over all was a freakin' awesome property!!!

---

Metal Detecting - My First Capped Bust Coin and More!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCLFfn3MZU4)

Metal Detecting - Is This Hunt 4 Reale?! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxF3RTV0Qw)

Metal Detecting - Vintage Gold and My Best Coin Yet! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdHIgWTl_Ws)

---

first two cent piece, large cent, vintage jewelry and nice relics! Sunday (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16643-first-two-cent-piece-large-cent-vintage-jewelry-and-nice-relics!-Sunday)

*CUT SPANISH SILVER, first shield nickel, and OLD GOLD* (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16655-*CUT-SPANISH-SILVER-first-shield-nickel-and-OLD-GOLD*)

UN 'REALE' HUNT! 8 REALES , WOOOOOOO! (lotsa pics) (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16675-UN-REALE-HUNT!-8-REALES-WOOOOOOO!-(lotsa-pics))

Quick One Hour Hunt - My First Capped Bust Half Dime and More!!!!! (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16712-Quick-One-Hour-Hunt-My-First-Capped-Bust-Half-Dime-and-More!!!!!)

Digger Don
02-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Wow Issac, I've had dreams that weren't that good.

Awesome, Thanks for sharing

Isaac
02-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Wow Issac, I've had dreams that weren't that good.

Awesome, Thanks for sharing

Thanks man!!! I can't believe y'all got 15 BUFFALOS in only THREE TIMES hunting that park! That is beyond crazy! :)

Hope this year is going to be an awesome one for you, full of firsts and quality coins :groovy:

Isaac

mownomo
02-24-2015, 10:07 PM
After Isaac's post, I am not even going to bore y'all with my best hunt. It would be like comparing "Twiggy" to "Dolly Parton". :lol: I will have to say that when you are as new to the hobby as I am, they are all great hunts. Stay warm people.

DiggerAl
03-01-2015, 08:01 PM
We stopped at an old church in Wisconsin this spring and I found a Barber Quarter, Standing Liberty Quarter, a buff and merc. all in the same side yard.
My dad found a Barber quarter as well.
Great Site.

Tony Two-Cent
03-01-2015, 08:30 PM
We stopped at an old church in Wisconsin this spring and I found a Barber Quarter, Standing Liberty Quarter, a buff and merc. all in the same side yard.
My dad found a Barber quarter as well.
Great Site.

I remember that church! :thumbsup01:

I witnessed your dad digging his first Indian Head there. :yes:

Tony Two-Cent
03-01-2015, 09:07 PM
I would have to say that my favorite site of 2014 was "Trade Token Park". I only hunted there twice, and here are my results from those two hunts:

10 Indian Heads
18 Wheat Cents
1 Shield Nickel
4 V Nickels
1 Seated Dime
3 Barber Dimes
2 Mercury Dimes
1 Barber Quarter
2 Silver Washingtons
5 Trade Tokens

My favorite hunt of 2014 was on Father's Day with my dad and brother when we found the 1852 Large Cent, 1832 Capped Bust Half Dime and 1845 Seated Half Dime.

Trooper Bri
03-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Late to the party here, sorry guys. The weather the past few days is awesome for snow killing. I saw grass under a stand of pines today!

Favorite hunt was with Dan back in early August. A large farm site. Got my first Colonial find, and 5 more buttons as well. 10 weeks into detecting, it was a very cool place to visit.
www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15963-A-cellar-hunt-with-Dan-and-my-1-st-button-8-8 (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?15963-A-cellar-hunt-with-Dan-and-my-1-st-button-8-8)

Other favorite was my most productive day of detecting so far. My 1'st field permission here in town right after Christmas. Got in a total of 3 hunts before the ground froze in early January.
http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?16931-Field-permission-things-that-begin-with-the-letter-B-12-27

If the sun pops out Wednesday, I may go for a swing in the snow to see if any sledders lost anything the past 6 weeks. My V3i has been by the door whining to go out for a walk.

RIdirtdigger
03-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Also late to the party here lol. My favorite spot was the cellar hole where I got my gold guinea coin. The spot was on public land and was almost totally virgin. I found the 1790 Gold Guinea, 1802 Large Cent in great shape, beat up matron head large cent and an unknown crude copper all around the cellar hole and the "yard". A former road also went by the cellar and on that road I got 3 Indians in the same hole (1884, 1890, 1895), a dateless corroded indian, a buffalo nickel, some wheat pennies, and a 1927 mercury dime. A little bit away from the cellar I found my most valuable silver coin, a 1904 s barber dime, dropped long after the cellar was abandoned. Also got tons of relics probably 20-30 buttons including a rarely found US Revenue Service cuff button which was the precursor to the Coast Guard. I got some colonial buckle fragments, some musket and pistol balls and other relics. That site was by far my favorite location of 2014