PDA

View Full Version : All Day Hunt With Coinnut - 20 Silver Coins

angellionel
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
Today I had an all day hunt with coinnut at a Connecticut park. We arrived at about 8:00 am and left the park at about 4:30. The day was pleasant and we had the park mostly to ourselves, exactly how I like it. :grin:

I began to detect soon after arriving and within about 15 minutes I picked up my first silver target, a large sterling silver medallion. Soon after that I picked up a silver dime. At that point I decided to start a grid on that section while employing the circling method around a found target, combined with a crisscross pattern to increase my chances of picking up whatever silver was there. In the end the effort paid off as I was rewarded with 20 silver coins. :loveit:

With today's silver, my total for the year now stands at 448, beating my total for all of last year, which was 447.

The quarters are dated 1908-D, 1914, 1936-D, 1942. The Standing Liberty is dateless.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/silverquarters_063010.jpg

The dimes are dated 1902, 1905, 1917, 1926, 1937, 1939, 1940-S, 1941, 1943-D, 1944, 1946, 1946, 1947, 1952, and 1953-D.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/silverdimes_063010.jpg

Here are various photos of some of the coins as dug out of the ground.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/1914barberquarterinsoil_063010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/mercinsoil_063010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/silverdimeinsoilA_063010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/silverdimeinsoilB_063010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/barberquarterinsoil_063010.jpg

The Barber quarter and dime were part of a spill. They had been stuck together.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/barberquarteranddime_063010.jpg

This was another spill, this time a mercury dime and a wheat cent were stuck together.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/mercandwheatstuck_063010.jpg

This old sterling silver ring had been reading as a silver quarter and had registered at about 8 inches. It's a small ring, but heavy.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/sterlingsilverring_063010.jpg

This was my first silver target of the day, a beautiful sterling silver medallion. It's the size of a half dollar.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/sterlingsilvermedallion_063010.jpg

And of course, there were a good number of wheat cents as well.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/June/wheatcents_063010.jpg

HH!

coinnut
06-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Congrats on your record breaking year. With that said, I hate you :rofl: It hurts to get smoked into the ground :lol: ...... :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: You didn't even have any sympathy for me when I said I had measles, mumps and whooping cough :cheesysmile: You had an excellent hunt, even the dry ground didn't effect you much. But that ground hurts on the hand :lol: Love the in dirt multi silver picture. I had my usual 3 silvers (1928, 1941 S mercs and a silver ring). My total amount was $13.90 for the day with a whopping clad quarter count of 44 :shocked04: Clad dimes were 23, 1 jeff, and 28 stinkin memorials and seven wheats. A good day for me, and the last picture sums up my day out. Thanks for a great hunt, it was well worth it and better than work anyday! :cheesysmile:

angellionel
06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Wow! You weren't kidding about the amount of clad quarters you dug up. :shocked01:

Thank you for joining me for a day of detecting. :thumbsup01: I love that last photo by the way. :lol:

Epi-hunter
06-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Angel... what can I say :) I am stunned, and in awe, that you dug 20 silver coins in a period of hours from that park which has been hunted out for a decade. I know how tough that place is. You are the perfect example that there is still silver at these hunted out parks.... many of us just don't know how to find it as well.

George, three silvers from that park is a great day. One better than my last day there. Three better than my day before that. :rolleyes: Take Angel to one of your cellar holes next time :lol:

Measles, mumps, and whooping cough :lol: :rofl:

angellionel
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
You are the perfect example that there is still silver at these hunted out parks.... many of us just don't know how to find it as well.

I don't know about that. :lol: Thank you though. :embarrassed:

Beefcake
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
LOL!!! That will teach you to hunt with Yoda! LOL Oh my god, that is a schelacking! :behave: :blackeye: Man, I feel your pain on that one! I was hunting tonight with my buddy and was talking about you and we were talking about this very scenario of hunting with Angel and seeing what it would be like to see if you would really kick our butt that bad.... Guess this one answered that! What can you do but just shake your head and realize you were in the midst of greatness today! :clapping:

z118
07-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Is there a speechless smiley?

I will say it is nice to see someone else be outdone by Angel. Makes me feel a little better about my own skills. :lol:

catskillcomics
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Great hunt guys! Angel 20 silvers in a day.. wow.. that is sweet! In that last shot of the wheaties, what is the silver thing? A button?

Hook
07-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Angel...what else is there to say? a simply AWESOME hunt! your ability to sniff silver out of the ground amazes everyone. i would be willing to bet my next born child that if you brought your detector to the moon you would find a half dozen silvers and a pile of wheaties also !

one question tho..is 20 a record silver day for you? if not...please tell us what the record for one day is?
HH and dont stop, you might break a thousand this year !!!! :yahoo:

angellionel
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Great hunt guys! Angel 20 silvers in a day.. wow.. that is sweet! In that last shot of the wheaties, what is the silver thing? A button?

It's the top of some type of ring. Initially I thought it was silver, but I think it is aluminum. I scraped the inside to make out markings and all it has is made in Hong Kong. :lol:

Angel...what else is there to say? a simply AWESOME hunt! your ability to sniff silver out of the ground amazes everyone. i would be willing to bet my next born child that if you brought your detector to the moon you would find a half dozen silvers and a pile of wheaties also !

one question tho..is 20 a record silver day for you? if not...please tell us what the record for one day is?
HH and dont stop, you might break a thousand this year !!!! :yahoo:

Last year my best was 15 silver coins in one day, and this year I had a 21 silver coins day (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?875-21-Silver-Coin-Day) and a 19 silver coins day (http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?923-19-Silver-Coins-Barbers-Rule). I've had six other 10+ silver coin days this year as well. :yes:

Ill Digger
07-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Is there a speechless smiley?

:rofl: Yeah I'm lookin' for one too :envious:
I don't know what to say either....just Awesome!!
Congrats :grin: :envious:

Cheap Thrills
07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
rofl Yeah I'm lookin' for one too :envious:
I don't know what to say either....just Awesome!!
Congrats :grin: :envious:

This is about as close to a speechless Smiley that is available here . :shocked04:

Awesome Angel ,I especially like the side by side picture of the Barber Quarter/Dime spill showing the oxidation markings they gave each other ( kind of reminds one of a love story etched in time) :kiss: :loveit: :smitten: :lol: .

Nice day of hunting George .It's been ages since I've had a 3 silver day ( actually even a single Silver Roosie day ) . Man , looks like those flattened out bottle caps are raising Hell with you too .
I've been digging quite a few of those iffie suckers lately in hope one turns out to be a nice coin . Seems like my SE loves to home on in on those and 7 deep memorial pennies .
I'm kind of tempted to give the Pro coil a little rest and see if the 8 coil will sharpen the tones up for me a bit .
Nice to see you getting a chance to get out and hunt George :thumbsup01: :thumbsup01:

xzlr8n
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
WOW, WOW, and WOW again. :twirlingeyes:

coinnut
07-01-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL!!! That will teach you to hunt with Yoda! LOL Oh my god, that is a schelacking!

Yep, I called it something else, but I can't print that ;) So let's just say a good old fashioned spankin' :lol:

I will say it is nice to see someone else be outdone by Angel. Makes me feel a little better about my own skills. :lol:

I really doesn't hurt that bad :blackeye: You see I figured out how to hunt with Angel :confused: Before you go out, just keep telling yourself that he is gonna whoop you good. :lol: Then when it really happens it doesn't hurt at all ;)

Nice day of hunting George .It's been ages since I've had a 3 silver day ( actually even a single Silver Roosie day ) . Man , looks like those flattened out bottle caps are raising Hell with you too .
I've been digging quite a few of those iffie suckers lately in hope one turns out to be a nice coin . Seems like my SE loves to home on in on those and 7 deep memorial pennies .
I'm kind of tempted to give the Pro coil a little rest and see if the 8 coil will sharpen the tones up for me a bit .
Nice to see you getting a chance to get out and hunt George :thumbsup01: :thumbsup01:

Thanks Baba, It was good to get out and hunt. My 12x15 SEF was just too big a coil for this junky park and the 5 did well, but just couldn't reach the really deep ones. It did pick up those Mercs at the 5-6 range with it. I still love that 5 Sunray coil. I ran it at max sensitivity (30) and it barely falsed. But both coils would read them aluminum bottle caps at a very close 12-43 to 12- 45, which can be deep silver. Some of them caps were 7 just like my clad dimes. So it was too difficult for this cellar hunting guy to figure out :thinkingabout:... :rofl:

del
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
:shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing:

wow thats what i call a SERIOUS BEATING :blackeye: :peace: :blackeye: :clapping: :blackeye: :happydance01: :blackeye:

i give ya alot of credit George , just to make it back onto the forum (after that smack-down) shows incredible moxie my friend and hey even though your the loser i'll still hang with ya pal. :lol: :rofl: :poke: :poke: ;)

:shocked04: Angel what can i say :thinkingabout: , you took care of business very impressively i might add. :thumbsup01: (your check is in the mail like we agreed ) :rofl: :rofl: :beerbuddy: . great day my friend one for the books and congrats on the multitude of silver this time out.

Dan

coinnut
07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
:shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing: :shocked04: :bop: :shocked04: :behave: :shocked04: :boxing:

wow thats what i call a SERIOUS BEATING :blackeye: :peace: :blackeye: :clapping: :blackeye: :happydance01: :blackeye:

i give ya alot of credit George , just to make it back onto the forum (after that smack-down) shows incredible moxie my friend and hey even though your the loser i'll still hang with ya pal. :lol: :rofl: :poke: :poke: ;)

:shocked04: Angel what can i say :thinkingabout: , you took care of business very impressively i might add. :thumbsup01: (your check is in the mail like we agreed ) :rofl: :rofl: :beerbuddy: . great day my friend one for the books and congrats on the multitude of silver this time out.

Dan

Hey, at least I HAD the courage to show up. Some people make the darndest excuses why they can't make it. :rofl: Don't worry I covered for you :grin: I have no problem getting slammed :lol: I think I'll do it again, as soon as the welts go down :rofl:

angellionel
07-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Oh man, you guys are something else! :lol: :lol:

In all fairness, the site we hit did pose a major challenge to the large 12x15 SEF coil. :shocked01: As can be seen from George's post of the junk he dug up, that park is quite trashy in many areas, and those aluminum screw caps are a real pain. :bangahead02: As soon as George switched to the smaller 5 coil, he began to pick up good targets from among the trash, but loss of depth was a compromise. I think that the 11 Pro coil is a good overall coil for that park, providing good depth, target separation, and coverage. You have to go slow with it though. :yes:

SeabeeRon
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
You're a braver man than I George!! I am not even going to venture east the the Cal/Nev border and you went detecting with this MACHINE!!

All kidding aside, you guys had an amazing outing!! It is hunts like these that keep me in the game!! :drool: :smitten: :loveit:

sniffy
07-02-2010, 06:21 PM
I'd take those quarters and buy some bandaids...geesh...owww.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-05-2010, 07:53 AM
:lol: you guys.i was thinking about askin angel to come down and hunt the church green area with me where i dug the seated dimes.after seeing this i renegged on that thought fast! :yes: so you can just stay up there ok dude? :boxing:

angellionel
07-05-2010, 09:55 AM
:lol: you guys.i was thinking about askin angel to come down and hunt the church green area with me where i dug the seated dimes.after seeing this i renegged on that thought fast! :yes: so you can just stay up there ok dude? :boxing:

That's cruel and inhumane punishment. :lol: :lol:

tanacat
07-06-2010, 12:15 AM
WOW :shocked04: That's fantastic! Btw, I have seen an I'm not worthy smiley out there somewhere ----we need it here! :lol: Congrats on beating your count 1/2 way through this year too!

:rofl: I love how George's first pic is all his junk! Congrats on 3 silvers :yes:

coinnut
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
:rofl: I love how George's first pic is all his junk! Congrats on 3 silvers :yes:

I always make you wait for the good stuff last :lol: Otherwise you won't look at all of it :cheesysmile: Besides, there wasn't too much to show other than clad, so I had to beef up the suspense a bit :rofl: