PDA

View Full Version : keep your unknowns !

del
03-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Over the years , many of us hobbyists find items that aren't easy to identify and most don't seem very unusual , significant or even that old for that matter. Keep these items despite the fact they could be scrapped out for their copper or brass content at least until you get positive id's on them and always document where you found these so called "unknowns" because even though it could take you years you might be surprised when you do discover just what they actually are.

Here are my latest surprises ...

The winter gives me a good long time to go over and thoroughly research the miscellaneous items that i find and these two items at first I didn't think they were very old (early to mid 1800's) . Boy was I wrong , I know where these were found (at different sites) and I will be returning to these sites again this year. the larger buckle on the left of the half dollar dates from 1575 to 1700 and the smaller one dates from 1620 to 1700 (making them some of my oldest buckles) much older then I previously had thought and lets me know that these sites were very likely established much earlier .

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=30284&title=double-loop-asymmetrical-buckle&cat=176

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=32950&title=double-loop-sub-rectangular-buckle&cat=176

these links to the UK Database is a great resource site for early colonial finds by the way.

Dan

Trooper Bri
03-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Wow, I would never guess they could be that old. Hopefully those spots produce more finds like those!

Lodge Scent
03-08-2015, 06:20 PM
That is a darn good point Dan on a couple of levels. Don't want to be throwing out any significant relics or throw out clues to where you might find other significant relics. I need to go through my bucket of buckles.

freemindstuck
03-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Great thread Dan! I would only add that I take all my finds at a site and throw them in zip lock bags and then label where they are from. I have many milk crates filled with these bags. Otherwise it is difficult to know where you found a particular unknown and impossible to go back to the site it was found.

del
03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Wow, I would never guess they could be that old. Hopefully those spots produce more finds like those!

I hope so too Brian , thanks

That is a darn good point Dan on a couple of levels. Don't want to be throwing out any significant relics or throw out clues to where you might find other significant relics. I need to go through my bucket of buckles.

exactly Jeff , knowing the age of items can give you an idea of what else might be hiding around there plus acurately labeling your displays finds is always nice when you show them off . thanks

Great thread Dan! I would only add that I take all my finds at a site and throw them in zip lock bags and then label where they are from. I have many milk crates filled with these bags. Otherwise it is difficult to know where you found a particular unknown and impossible to go back to the site it was found.

thanks , that is a great tip ! :clapping:

RIdirtdigger
03-09-2015, 06:33 AM
I learned this the hard way. At one of my favorite colonial cellar sites I kept on finding these small circular things that flaked away when I rubbed them. (found like 4 or 5) I thought they were trash so I tossed them. It turned out they were crude pewter buttons an I only have one left. Now, I never toss out any of my finds until I can be sure its trash versus treasure.

Robbie
03-09-2015, 07:00 AM
Great researching Dan, I too have several buckles that I`ve dug and stored away not knowing how old they are or how much they could be worth. That is the reason why I joined this forum. Thank you for the information.

Ill Digger
03-09-2015, 11:17 AM
Good point Dan. Here's my "oops" story. My hunting buddy Ted and I found a couple of, what we thought were, handles to screwdrivers from a kids toy tool set. Not knowing any better we just pitched them. About a year or so later I seen one posted here on the forum. It turns out we throwing away valve stem caps for model Ts!!! Oops!! Of course I haven't found one since. Teds found one but mine are long gone.

MangoAve
03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Dan, I hope most people don't throw away the buckles, altho I am sure that you weren't being specific to those. Good finds tho.

Good point Dan. Here's my "oops" story. My hunting buddy Ted and I found a couple of, what we thought were, handles to screwdrivers from a kids toy tool set. Not knowing any better we just pitched them. About a year or so later I seen one posted here on the forum. It turns out we throwing away valve stem caps for model Ts!!! Oops!! Of course I haven't found one since. Teds found one but mine are long gone.

Could it have been the one I posted that Aloldstuff knew was for a model T, which I did like you and mistook it for a screwdriver when I found it?

Isaac
03-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Some excellent finds there Dan. That's why I never throw away anything unless I know it's trash for sure. Great research too, it's like finding it all over again :)

del
03-09-2015, 03:59 PM
I learned this the hard way. At one of my favorite colonial cellar sites I kept on finding these small circular things that flaked away when I rubbed them. (found like 4 or 5) I thought they were trash so I tossed them. It turned out they were crude pewter buttons an I only have one left. Now, I never toss out any of my finds until I can be sure its trash versus treasure.

RIdirtdigger , pewter buttons will dry out as soon as they hit the air then they will crack , flake and crumble away the dryer they get. Keep a small ziploc baggy with you for these and as soon as you recover them and id them as pewter put them in the baggy with the moist dirt they came in . This will keep them from drying out until you can get them home to lightly clean and then preserve them to keep from deteriorating any more. My favorite is a solution of water and elmer's glue mix together so it looks like milk .place the pewter in it (after you cleaned it the way you want) to soak for about 10 to 20 minutes them remove and let sit on a hard surface (not a paper towel) to dry then repeat. thanks for responding:thumbsup02:

Great researching Dan, I too have several buckles that I`ve dug and stored away not knowing how old they are or how much they could be worth. That is the reason why I joined this forum. Thank you for the information.

your very welcome Robbie.

Tim , I've heard stories of the "old timers" who use to cellar hunt finding large dandy colonial buttons and were so disappointed they weren't coins (because they sound pretty close) they would chuck them out into the woods , who knows how many GW inaugural buttons went flying. :lol: Some have regretted it i've been told .

Dan, I hope most people don't throw away the buckles, altho I am sure that you weren't being specific to those. Good finds tho.

Could it have been the one I posted that Aloldstuff knew was for a model T, which I did like you and mistook it for a screwdriver when I found it?

Jim , I have so many "D" type brass buckles it isn't funny now these are just plain horse or oxen harness tack buckles and really not worth anything and I've recycled many many pounds of these for their price in brass. A gain though these are all positively identified and extremely common .thanks for commenting

Some excellent finds there Dan. That's why I never throw away anything unless I know it's trash for sure. Great research too, it's like finding it all over again :)

thanks Isaac.

Thiltzy
03-11-2015, 01:06 AM
Great post Dan. Listen to this man people he is the Obie-one-Konobie of relic hunting

del
03-11-2015, 03:45 AM
Great post Dan. Listen to this man people he is the Obie-one-Konobie of relic hunting

:lol: I wish Todd , I'm afraid I probably look more like yoda though !:rofl:

hey how was your flight back home ??

Pacivilwarluke
03-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Nice saves! Those buckles are awesome, crazy to think they're that old! I never throw things away now, but I learned my lesson early on, when I threw away brass reigns guides. Now I keep a bucket full of unidentifiable finds.

Thiltzy
03-11-2015, 12:16 PM
:lol: I wish Todd , I'm afraid I probably look more like yoda though !:rofl:

hey how was your flight back home ??still here in Portland Oregon Dan, flight departs at 4pm est