PDA

View Full Version : Incredible lowcountry dig- colonial trash pit, buttons, and a really nice coin!

Pacivilwarluke
03-23-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm down in the south Carolina lowcountry again and went hunting today! It's been really rainy down here but hit a three hour break so was able to get out at my colonial site. A few minutes after my dad and I arrived I noticed a huge pottery shard sticking out of the edge of a groundhog hole. This peaked my curiosity so I decided to dig around and was glad I did! I got into a trash pit while dad was swinging around the General area. I found tons of pottery, plenty of oyster shells (food the settlers ate) brick, nails, bones and over 60 pipe stems/bowls! After an hour digging the pit I picked up my detector and continued to dig. Dad got silver plated cuff links, a pristine 1819 LC, musketbal, and a huge dandy button. He also got a carved lead button with a cross of Lorraine, 867, and a few other characters. Any help iding this would be great! I got an early cast button with a drilled shank and a small one too. Overall a fun 3 hours! :) HH!46284462924629146290462894628846287462864628546 293

Also so used the go detect app, which was really cool! Looks like I was drunk in the woods or something!

Pacivilwarluke
03-23-2015, 09:21 PM
Overview of finds!4629446295

Lodge Scent
03-24-2015, 07:06 AM
Great hunt! That carved lead piece is awesome :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2015, 07:40 AM
Now that is a fascinating array of relics! Some old buttons and a beautiful 1819 Large Cent! I could spend all day digging a colonial trash pit like that.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :perfect10:

Bell-Two
03-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Wowzer that is a great sie and what lovely finds, keep us informed at what else you find!

del
03-24-2015, 11:33 PM
very nice array of relics between you and your dad :shocked02: love the large dandy button a bit of cleaning and all that nice gilt will show off nicely. great coin :congrats:

Luke some of us may not be familiar with the cross of Lorraine , can you give us some history ??

Dan

MangoAve
03-25-2015, 06:38 AM
I found one trash pit once but I didn't spend much time there. I pulled out an old match case. Nice largie tho and the ornate piece in the third pic.

Pacivilwarluke
03-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Great hunt! That carved lead piece is awesome :congrats:
Thanks! I'm really hoping I can find some info out about it!

Pacivilwarluke
03-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Now that is a fascinating array of relics! Some old buttons and a beautiful 1819 Large Cent! I could spend all day digging a colonial trash pit like that.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! :perfect10:

Thank you! The trash pit was really cool, this is the first one I've ever gotten into. The large cent looks a lot better than the ones we find up in the farm fields up home! :) HH!

Pacivilwarluke
03-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Wowzer that is a great sie and what lovely finds, keep us informed at what else you find!

thank you and will do! :)

Pacivilwarluke
03-25-2015, 08:41 AM
very nice array of relics between you and your dad :shocked02: love the large dandy button a bit of cleaning and all that nice gilt will show off nicely. great coin :congrats:

Luke some of us may not be familiar with the cross of Lorraine , can you give us some history ??

Dan

Gladly! From a symbol website:

The Cross of Lorraine consists of one vertical and two evenly spaced horizontal bars. It is a heraldic cross, used by the Dukes of Lorraine (previously known as the Dukes of Anjou). This cross is related to the Crusader’s cross (http://symboldictionary.net/?p=2187), the standard of Joan of Arc, and the six globes of the Medici family. The Lorraine cross was carried to the Crusades by the original Knights Templar, granted to them for their use by the Patriarch of Jerusalem. Hermetic alchemists of the Renaissance used the emblem as a symbol of earth and spirit by combining the square earth cross with the cross of Christ.
When drawn symmetrically, it symbolized the hermetic maxim, “As above, so below.” The Lorraine Cross is used in Freemasonry as a degree symbol. In the Catholic Church, the equal-armed Lorraine Cross denotes the office of Cardinal.

Pacivilwarluke
03-25-2015, 08:44 AM
I found one trash pit once but I didn't spend much time there. I pulled out an old match case. Nice largie tho and the ornate piece in the third pic.

Thats really cool, I've never found a match case! Thanks and HH!