PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt Since The Snowpocalypse

OxShoeDrew
03-29-2015, 01:02 PM
There is still a foot of snow over most of my yard but some clear patches are now showing up on embankments. I went out there with the idea I'd get my arm back in shape before really hunting. 20 yards from my back porch I found an 1818 largie. Not 30 ft from where I found a trime last Easter. I've been over this spot countless times but the ground is SATURATED! ...and soft as butter....my new digger cut so fast that I dinged the coin. I have to get used to it. I also dug another oxshoe (surprise). Thanks for looking, Drew

Pacivilwarluke
03-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Good looking largie! And right off your back porch nonetheless! Hope that snow continues to melt off for ya!

Lodge Scent
03-29-2015, 01:59 PM
Seriously Drew ! A copper in your back yard. I would say your coil swinging arm is already in mid-season form :thumbsup01:

del
03-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Sweet looking copper Drew , lots of detail on that one

Bell-Two
03-29-2015, 02:20 PM
And I was happy to find a Wheatie in my back yard! :lol: Good start and as Dorothy said "There's no place like home"!

Tony Two-Cent
03-29-2015, 03:40 PM
How about that?! I wish I could find 197 year old coins in my back yard! :yes:

:congrats:

RIdirtdigger
03-29-2015, 06:14 PM
Nice job Drew. That's a nice hunt despite all the snow. Southern and central RI are mostly snow free, I'm sorry to hear that you still have a foot of snow. Hope it melts soon!

OxShoeDrew
03-30-2015, 04:21 AM
Thanks everyone!.....I gotta say, I was winded just walking to my house to get my camera. :shocked02:

MangoAve
03-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Nice copper Drew. Fair amount of detail on it. Wish my yard was old enough to find a largie ....without having the fun of an old house with all it's repairs. It's hard enough on a 56 year old house. Twice now the woods were too deep in snow for me, but the targets were hitting better. So for the next few weeks it's permission houses for me.

Thanks everyone!.....I gotta say, I was winded just walking to my house to get my camera. :shocked02:

You're not an old man, are you?

OxShoeDrew
03-30-2015, 10:21 AM
You're not an old man, are you?
You're only as old as you feel....so I'm pushing 90 :)
Funny though Jim...my house is only 13 years old, but the property is on the national register. One of the oldest mill villages in the country. There was a mill just down the hill from my photo in 1703. I can't dig on some of my property as per the deed.

MangoAve
03-30-2015, 11:14 AM
Funny though Jim...my house is only 13 years old, but the property is on the national register. One of the oldest mill villages in the country. There was a mill just down the hill from my photo in 1703. I can't dig on some of my property as per the deed.

That to me is a bit suprising. Yes, I have seen where historic sections exist on the national register, which just includes all the houses because it's easier listing 1 area versus 40 individual houses and excluding the new houses. Some of the newer GIS data systems have even included a national property ID on historic properties. However, the intent of the register is to protect the historic house from urbanization and give tax relief as well as provide help to restore/preserve the house. As in.. the structure has the priority versus the land. And there was some form I saw about removing the property from the register due to circumstances like the structure was in dire disrepair and is now demolished. Not trying to refute, just portraying why it's a bit of a surprise.

Digger Don
03-30-2015, 11:42 PM
What a fantastic way to start the new season. Great Find.

aloldstuff
03-31-2015, 07:18 AM
WTG on getting a very nice looking LC. Interesting about how you can't dig on some of your property. I have a burning desire to get out there and get my "crack" fix. Looking forward to getting out with you this year.

Trooper Bri
03-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Congrats Drew. Nice way to kick off the season!

kpmoose
04-01-2015, 08:57 PM
That's a hell of a start to the season. Congrats. Curious to know how deep it was, especially since you had been over that area before?

OxShoeDrew
04-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone....yeah Moose, I've been over that area....it was about 8 or 9in and sounded good but not copper good. The signal actually seemed to move a bit, which made me think it was iron. The ground is just perfect with the moisture.

The Rebel
04-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Hey Drew, WTG on the shoe, I mean copper, LOL!
Hopefully many will be popping out this season after this winter.

BTV Digger
04-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Way to go on the LC, and fantastic you've got that history in your back yard.

John