PDA

View Full Version : Found my first SEATED HALF!

Tony Two-Cent
03-29-2015, 04:23 PM
Ill Digger (Tim) called me on Friday to let me know that he would be passing through my area, so we agreed to meet at "SLQ Park" for a hunt on Saturday. We hunted at the park for several hours and I found 6 more silvers there including a 1907-D Barber Quarter.

After that we tried hunting at the high school but I didn't find much there except one Merc.

At Tim's urging we ended up door knocking at a large house that we found out was built in the 1870s. Boy, did that end up being a good decision! The owner was super friendly and encouraged us to hunt all we wanted. The very first signal I dug in the front yard was an 1853 Large Cent! Then a little later I found a semi-key 1896-S Barber Dime. Just as it was getting dark I got a beautiful high tone at 7" deep. The target was under some roots and was difficult to reach but I finally got in out of the hole. By this time it was really dark and I could tell it was a silver half but I couldn't tell what kind.

We thanked the owner for letting us detect and he said, "Do you want to come back tomorrow?" Me and Tim just looked at each other and said in unison, "Yeah, that would be great!" So we said our goodbyes and me and Tim went to a nearby gas station to look over our finds. The silver half dollar I had found was still encrusted with dirt, so I got out my video camera and we washed it off on video. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Lady Liberty sitting elegantly on the obverse. MY FIRST SEATED HALF! It is dated 1875-S.

Scratch one off the bucket list! :happy:

Me and Tim met at the house again this morning and hunted for about 3 hours until it started raining. Today I found a Merc, an Indian Head, a crotal bell, a token and a watch fob there.

What an awesome weekend of detecting! I want to thank Tim for being brave enough to ask that homeowner if we could detect his property. It really paid off!

Here are my coins from this weekend:

Semi-Key 1896-S Barber Dime:

Here is the 1853 Large Cent. I can't show you the reverse because someone did some vulgar modifications to it. :embarrassed:

1883 V Nickel "With Cents"

Here are some of the relics, tokens and fobs I found:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting! :beerbuddy:

Isaac
03-29-2015, 04:45 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!:shocked05: Some AMAZING finds there guys!!! That Seated Half is INCREDIBLE!!!!! Unbelievable property and some quality finds sir! :thumbsup02:

Dan
03-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Outstanding hunts Tony! Great silvers......that half is gorgeous! Love the buster brown shoe fob also...:thumbsup02:

POKIE73
03-29-2015, 05:11 PM
great finds as always that half is a hard coin to find i have found a quarter but havent even seen a half till now congrats

Lodge Scent
03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
YOW! That was one heck of a hunt Tony :shocked04: :perfect10:

diggindog
03-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Some super great finds.I love the house too.

Full Metal Digger
03-29-2015, 05:48 PM
Those sure are some great finds Tony! You and Tim had an awesome hunt for sure! Congrats on the Seated Half and all the other silvers. Is that your first complete crotal bell? Those tokens are neat. The starch one has wear like it was circulated! Those nickels sure have strong dates on them. The 1883 is quite bold. Congrats on all your great finds. HH, Dave. BTW, does the largie have a "U" strategically placed? I've read several stories about that and I guess some people collect those.

Tony Two-Cent
03-29-2015, 06:05 PM
BTW, does the largie have a "U" strategically placed?

Yes. I had never heard of such a thing and I was very perplexed when I saw it, but Tim told me he had seen other examples.

Rgorman
03-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Wonderful day for sure! I can't believe all the great things you found there. Especially the seated half! That alone is a great find but along with all the others, I swear you hear more sounds in the ground than 10 good detectors! What another great day for you! Congrats to You!:notworthy: You are the greatest!
P.S. on my last post you asked me if i found the two SLQs at the same location, no I did not. The first was found at an old dance hall and the second was in a private yard of an old mansion, 100 miles apart.

Pacivilwarluke
03-29-2015, 06:54 PM
Holy cow!! Tons of great finds, that seated half is awesome!! I've seen the vulgar thing people used to do on the back of largies before, guess it shows that people have always been the same :lol: looks like an incrdible spot, good luck on your future hunts!

wisconsin digger
03-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Gee and here I thought I had a good week by finding a ben Franklin Half. WOW those were some great finds without the Seated Half. Amazing day you had. Great hunt. WD

Ill Digger
03-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Well. What can I say Tony. As always it was a great couple of days of detecting with you once again!
I appreciate you making time to hook up with me for some hunting. And for taking me to another one of your favorite spots. Thanks!

Now.... as for the private yard. What can I say that I haven't said to you already. You and I know that, that place is the kind of spots detectorists dream about :daydream:
It's not very often you get a greenlight to hunt a place like that to begin with, but to dig your first target in the first five minutes and its a large cent? Now that just don't happen! At least not around here it don't.:lol: I knew you had something good when I seen you already walking over to me, with no headphones, detector, gloves and a closed fist and a big smile on your face! What a great start. But the way you ended it....I thought that was funny! "OK, I think we should go now. I found something good. " I thought it was a gold coin or a trime or something. But when you said it was "a coin, it's big, and it's silver.....oh and it's a half dollar." I was just stunned! The whole 2 hours we were there was surprise, after surprise, after surprise! Wow! What a place!
Great weekend Tony! You made me look like a amateur out there! :embarrassed: Too bad the rain came in earlier than it was suppose to, but I had a ton of fun anyways!
Congrats again on ALL of your great finds!:grin:

Can't wait to do it again sometime bud! :beerbuddy:

I've got some cleaning and picture taking to do before I can get my things posted.

JdsCoins
03-29-2015, 11:41 PM
Double take! :wow:

Now that's a weekend of hunting! :grin:

Not only did you get a LARGE CENT :shocked04:

But you got a SEATED HALF :shocked04:

And to top it off you got a barber dime with a MINIMUM numismatic value of $85 :shocked04:

And as if that wasn't enough, you got the rare "with cents" variety of the 1883 V nickel! :omg:

And that's without commenting on your other finds. Let's just say....I'm speechless! :drool:

HUGE congrats on your epic hunt Tony! :grin:

MangoAve
03-30-2015, 06:49 AM
Sweet silver seated. It took a lot of silver just to get one seated half. Hope it's not a statistic, or at least not translateable to how long it would take to find one this side of the map. Can't see the pics on this browser so I can't comment... there was something I noticed in the pic of the toy car. oh well. The house actually looks newer than it is. Here, that would look more like an 1890s type house. I could give examples, but would be PM cuz some of those are near spots I have on my list. Not important. Door knocking is what it's about.

Here is the 1853 Large Cent. I can't show you the reverse because someone did some vulgar modifications to it. :embarrassed:

Huh? I wonder why someone would do this to a largie? I didn't think that slang was used until the 1900s.

Tony Two-Cent
03-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Sweet silver seated. It took a lot of silver just to get one seated. Hope it's not a statistic, or at least not translateable to how long it would take to find one this side of the map. The house actually looks newer than it is. Here, that would look more like an 1890s type house.

In these parts, those small transom windows under the eaves are a clear sign of 1870s or older. The owner insisted on inviting us inside, and we stood in the foyer as the entire family looked at our finds. It is a beautiful home inside and out.

Just to clarify, this is not my first seated coin, just my first seated half dollar. I have found a total of 18 seated coins.

Don11971
03-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Awesome hunt guys... Seated half is on my short list... And the large cent ( Modified to be a brothel token)....Sweet!! Love to find one of those...
Awesome weekend hunt!!
Keep it up!

GA1dad
03-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Outstanding hunt, which is made the day was shared with a friend!!!

MangoAve
03-30-2015, 10:23 AM
In these parts, those small transom windows under the eaves are a clear sign of 1870s or older. .

There are a few variations to get into but I have seen the big pillars like in yours, go up until 1903.. or at least the last build date for a property. Too bad I can't show you what a property I found that is over 300 years old looks like. It sure ain't a colonial like the 99% of other 1700's houses I found were. The miss gave a date of 1960 when I asked how old she thought it was.
:lol:.

OxShoeDrew
03-30-2015, 10:26 AM
Tony!! That is an off the charts weekend! As I scrolled down the pictures I was saying OMG....YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! One of the best hunts ever. Congrats and continued success!

Ill Digger
03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Hey Tony, were you ever able to make out the writing on that aluminum token? I see it has quite a bit of the oxidation.

Tony Two-Cent
03-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Hey Tony, were you ever able to make out the writing on that aluminum token? I see it has quite a bit of the oxidation.

I was not able to make it out, even after scrubbing it aggressively with an SOS pad. I think it is one of those machine stamped good luck souvenir tokens with someone's name and town listed on it. All I can make out is the first part of the name and "Ills." at the end.

CyberSage
03-30-2015, 05:43 PM
Tony, you my friend are a metal detecting stud!!! Congratulations on an awesome hunt. That is a gorgeous pile of coins you have there. :shocked05:

Digger Don
03-30-2015, 11:35 PM
:envious::envious::envious::envious::envious::envi ous::envious::envious::envious::envious::envious:: clapping:

del
03-31-2015, 02:52 AM
:omg::shocked05::perfect10: fantastic Tony or dare I say it "detecting stud extrodinaire " :lolsign: (Jack put me up to it :yes:) incredible bunch of silver :clapping:anytime when older silver coins outnumber newer ones .... well done sir!:bananadance:

don in ny
03-31-2015, 11:05 AM
Tony, I've been waiting to post a reply. Every time I started to my jaw kept dropping open and I couldn't concentrate. That is one AMAZING day. I love finding seated coinage and found my first seated half dollar a little less than 2 years ago, in the same hole with a seated quarter. I also love finding Barbers, Indians and LC's and spend a lot of time researching areas where I'm likely to find them.

It's good to know some about house styles. I know if I find an eyebrow colonial it dates from about 1780-1820. Greek revivals in my area go from about 1825 to about 1845. Saltboxes and stone Dutch colonials can be some of the best and earliest. Knowing a bit about house styles can help decide what doors you want to knock on. Here's a great web page for house styles some may be interested in: http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/

Great finds!

Robbie
03-31-2015, 06:28 PM
Tony,I got know .So how did Tim talk his way in there? Did you guys so up with detectors or how does it go?

Mountaindigger
03-31-2015, 09:34 PM
Wow, what outstanding finds. Congratulations to you!!!

Restoring Your Finds
04-01-2015, 06:11 AM
And you posted it before April Fools Day !!!
Unbelievable hunt you had !!!! You basically pulled out all my favorites plus some still on my bucket list. (Boy, that seated...)
Last weekend, I found my second V nickel and I basically killed it when trying to clean it. Virtually nothing left of it. :(

Congrats on that fantastic hunt you had !!

aloldstuff
04-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Tony, some incredible finds and a huge congrats on that seated 1/2. You must have still be smiling. A fantastic weekend of detecting with Tim and you both raked in the coinage. That mansion sure did give up the goodies, a little of every thing. I hope that everybody reading this whole posts gets it that "you never know until you ask".

Restoring Your Finds
04-01-2015, 05:14 PM
It's good to know some about house styles. I know if I find an eyebrow colonial it dates from about 1780-1820. Greek revivals in my area go from about 1825 to about 1845. Saltboxes and stone Dutch colonials can be some of the best and earliest. Knowing a bit about house styles can help decide what doors you want to knock on. Here's a great web page for house styles some may be interested in: http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/

Thanks for the link Don ! Very interesting !

Fire Fighter 43
04-02-2015, 02:53 PM
WOW!! You had a fantastic weekend Tony. Congrats on a first with the Seated Half, WTG.

Epi-hunter
04-07-2015, 09:44 PM
WOW Tony! Congrats on your first seated half!!! And the rest of that stuff is nothing to sneeze at either :notworthy: