PDA

View Full Version : Hey Y'all...

JenniferK
03-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Hey everybody!

I'm Jennifer from North Carolina. I'm using an El Cheapo Bounty Hunter "Fun Finder" that we bought my oldest daughter a few years ago for Christmas. She used it for about 7 seconds and she was done.

I lost my Dad in 2013, and my Mom in 2014, and I was her caretaker for 8 years. Needless to say I've not handled it well. We're coming up on the anniversary of her death, so I decided I needed a new hobby and I picked up the detector.

So far, I've hunted my yard, my neighbors yard, the field behind our house, and this weekend I hunted in the yard of a friend who lives on the edge of Averasboro Battlefield, along the edge of the river, and a few fields that weren't posted with "No Trespassing" signs, lol.

I've found a ton of nails, cans, random metal I can't identify, a nickel, 4 pennies, and a bobby pin! :hystericallaugh:

I'm having fun, but I fear I will soon get bored if I can't find somewhere to go!

In NC, you can't hunt in state owned parks. I'm running out of ideas of places to go!!

Tony Two-Cent
03-31-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi Jennifer! :waving:

Please don't apologize for the type of detector you use. :shame: I'm sure that 99% of us got into the hobby with a starter machine of some sort. :yes: And hey, if your daughter has lost interest then someone may as well get some use out of it.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. I have found that metal detecting is a very therapeutic hobby, and when I'm detecting it really helps to take my mind off of life's worries. Other than State Parks, have you tried hunting at local city parks, ball fields, school yards, town halls, community buildings, fair grounds or picnic areas? Those are just a few ideas that you may want to check out.

We're glad you joined the forum and we're looking forward to hearing about your future finds. :thumbsup02:

Spiderwort
03-31-2015, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the AD forum. Post some of your unidentifiable items. Someone will know what you have.

Dan
03-31-2015, 06:51 PM
Welcome Jennifer! I had a lot of fun with my Bounty Hunters, had one in the late 70's and still have one that I take out on occasion. The itch to go deeper caused me to get the Etrac......:grin: You too will soon have the itch.....everyone who detects gets it! :shocked04:

Good luck and happy hunting.....

JenniferK
03-31-2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys! I've posted a buckle I found, and I have some pieces I found tonight that I'm going to post. I'm trying to gain permission, or at least make sure I won't get arrested at the city parks (there aren't many) and school yards now! If I'm lucky, I'll be heading out to Surf City this weekend, and I'm taking my detector with me. Who knows what I might find in the sand?

GA1dad
03-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Welcome aboard Jennifer!! Ain't no shame in a Bounty Hunter,,,, last time I checked they were filled with fun.

Trooper Bri
03-31-2015, 09:11 PM
Hi Jen!
Like Tony said, no apologies required. Gotta start somewhere. Keep it up and you'll learn what the machine is telling you is down there.

Digger Don
04-01-2015, 12:31 AM
Welcome Jennifer, Tell your friends about your new hobby. I bet they can help you get some permissions at private properties.
Just have fun, the cool finds will come when you least expect them.

aloldstuff
04-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Jennifer, welcome from western MA. Keep asking and you'll never run out of places to detect. Also I can't remember ever getting a bobby pin, congrats on yours....but I'll betcha that I have more pull tabs :lolsign:. Looking forward to seeing your finds.

Robbie
04-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Welcome to our forum Jennifer. I`m sorry for your loss, I too have lost a lot of my friends and family in the past 5yrs. I started detecting 4yrs ago with a Bounty hunter and I`ve found that it helps ease the pain a little by just being out and having a headset on and just tuning out life for awhile. And when I do find something old, I take a little break and look up in the sky and know that they`re looking down on us with a smile.

Fire Fighter 43
04-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the drum Jennifer from SE Wisconsin. Just have fun with your new hobby and the finds will come. Good luck with your trip to the beach.

del
04-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Jennifer welcome to the forum , I envy the old history that is all around in your area and hope you find some nice places to detect.

Skamaniac
04-03-2015, 10:53 PM
Welcome Jennifer. I got hooked into the hobby with a $24.00 garage sale Bounty Hunter. I found a coin spill of over a hundred coins (recent spill, but still!). I had a blast with that thing. Just have fun!

mownomo
05-19-2015, 09:41 PM
A big Texas welcome to the forum. Lots of info here and a bunch of nice folks. Have fun and God bless you.