PDA

View Full Version : More finds at New Park - Silver, Buttons, GOLD?

catskillcomics
07-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Yesterday, I thought this new park may have been hunted out by a friend. But, after doing some research on the park this morning, I realized there may be some areas he missed, so off I went.

My finds today include

1947,1949 & 1952D Rosie Dimes
1936 & 1945 Merc Dimes
1/2 dollar size lucky token
Cairns Gilt flat button
Girlscout's button??
another small religious medallion

And finally a ring that I believe to be gold. In the picture its totally black from being cover in Tar, I got home and heated up some peroxide, and that is when I knew it had to be tar or Sap from a tree as it was sticky. So, in the freezer it went, and been able to chip off some of the black revealing what I believe to be gold.. I'll post a new picture when Im done cleaning it..

BTW.. Happy 4th to you all!!!

Update, chipped away a lot of the tar, then used WD-40 to clean the rest off.. it worked like a champ!! Silver St Christopher Ring...not gold like I thought before... good enough for me :)

angellionel
07-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Very good hunt, Scott! You need to treat that park as if it has not been detected properly, and that the only challenge is dealing with the trash to get to the goods. If you are digging Roosevelt and mercury dimes, then I dare bet that there will be older coins there, like Barbers and seated. :yes:

del
07-03-2010, 07:33 PM
great hunt Scott , the ring is very nice :peace: congrats man.

coinnut
07-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Great hunt Scott. I guess it's not hunted out after all lol Very good amount of silver and a great looking ring. Never saw one of those before. Super hunt. Your research paid off big time!! :clapping:

Ill Digger
07-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Way to go with your instincts thumbsup01
Like Angel said I think that park needs some serious attention!!
You've done really awesome there!!
Great finds!!
Congrats :grin:

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-04-2010, 10:30 PM
very nice hunt! cool ring! cleaned up nicely!