PDA

View Full Version : Excelsior Button.

sniffy
07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Got out today for a hunt. Most of the sites I hunted were hit hard at some point, but managed to find a couple keepers and my new favorite button!

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-03-2010, 07:21 PM
awesome! :peace: :clapping: great lookin button! congrats!

del
07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
N.Y. Militia button 1805-35 . sweet find Jesse :peace: those usually clean up well too. atleast the two i found this year did .congrats

Dan

coinnut
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Yep, that button sure does look familiar. Some guy named Del found a couple rofl Nice button and I hope it does clean up well!!

sniffy
07-03-2010, 09:36 PM
N.Y. Militia button 1805-35 . sweet find Jesse :peace: those usually clean up well too. atleast the two i found this year did .congrats

Dan
I was actually kind of afraid to clean it.....seeing how it's my favorite button now and I'm afraid to ruin it. I think peroxide would work well...no?

sniffy
07-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Yep, that button sure does look familiar. Some guy named Del found a couple rofl Nice button and I hope it does clean up well!!
Leave it to Del to find the good stuff.

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-04-2010, 05:38 AM
I was actually kind of afraid to clean it.....seeing how it's my favorite button now and I'm afraid to ruin it. I think peroxide would work well...no?

i'd just use a soft toothbrush and the liquid soap.it is gonna be what it is under the dirt.then use your own discretion on using naval jelly.should clean up well with just the toothbrush jess

sectshun8
07-04-2010, 06:49 AM
Awesome!

John M
07-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Great find Jesse and it should clean up nice.May still have some gilting left on it as well.

del
07-04-2010, 10:17 AM
yup the cleaning is just going to show you how damaged or how nice the button really is underneath the dirt is all . from the picture you posted its hard to tell how much damage it has taken from being burried for almost two centuries . was it in a low laying area close to water or swamp , ifso it could be damaged worse than thought . if not it might clean up , as the gilt is real silver plating on those buttons and hold up well. heres a before and after mine .
i use a a product called CLR on the brass i find and dilute it with water to get those buttons clean.

sniffy
07-04-2010, 06:18 PM
WOw! Yours is in awesome shape...I'm afraid to really work on mine because it looks a bit frail. But that can be decieving, there may be a nice shiny button underneath...I'll pick up some CLR at the hardware store...I also wanna try Alluminum Jelly to...I hear that works wonders on gilted buttons.