PDA

View Full Version : First Two Cent Piece & Cool Token

Digger Don
04-01-2015, 10:12 PM
I went back to a house that I dug a Large Cent last year. The house was built in 1837. Last time there, we only hunted the front and sides. Today I hunted the back. I was only there about 20 minutes when I got a deep 12-41 signal. Thought it was going to be an older wheat, but after digging down 9" out pops a greenish colored coin. I knew from the size it could be a two Cent Piece, AND IT WAS. Unfortunately, I think I dug the most toasted Two Center in Illinois, but I don't care. It's my first.
It's an 1864. Happy to have it!
10 minutes later I dug a 1948 Rosie. I also dug 4 wheats.

Later in the afternoon, I met up with Zrickkid again. At the first house we hit, we only had about fifteen minutes to hunt. The owners were going out to dinner and we had to leave when they did. I dug a 1905 Indian. At the second house, Rick dug three good coins and I got a cool Speedometer Token. Another Good Day of detecting, I went home Happy!

del
04-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Don the two centers sometimes come out very crusty and ugly but underneath they are just as nice as some of those indians you guys find . might i suggest drying it out under a high wattage lamp , the verdigris will flake off or sometimes you have to use a wooden tooth pick to pop it off but from your secong picture it looks like it will come clean nice.

Digger Don
04-01-2015, 11:05 PM
Don the two centers sometimes come out very crusty and ugly but underneath they are just as nice as some of those indians you guys find . might i suggest drying it out under a high wattage lamp , the verdigris will flake off or sometimes you have to use a wooden tooth pick to pop it off but from your second picture it looks like it will come clean nice.
I'll give it a try, Thanks

MangoAve
04-02-2015, 06:28 AM
Nice. I'm waiting on a 2 center here. I would have to agree with Dan cuz the second pic there is a spot that is still nice and a fair amount of detail. That token is a strange piece. Seems they came from Chicago. Theres a different one saying 'Guaranteed for 5 years'. It's a key fob.

Tony Two-Cent
04-02-2015, 09:11 AM
I was very excited for you when I got your text yesterday, Don! Congrats on your first Two-Cent Piece! :clapping:

I must say that I really like that token too! I've never seen one like it. Very cool design. Awesome find! :thumbsup02:

:congrats:

Pacivilwarluke
04-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Awesome find, two centers are two cool haha! It does seem to have a lot of detail left, hope you can get the verdigris to come off. I like the token too!

RIdirtdigger
04-02-2015, 11:11 AM
Congrats on your first two cent piece. I'm suprised it came out so crappy. Most two centers (including mine) still have that nice green patina. But hey, a two center is a two center. Great hunt!

Digger Don
04-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Congrats on your first two cent piece. I'm suprised it came out so crappy. Most two centers (including mine) still have that nice green patina. But hey, a two center is a two center. Great hunt!

I agree, they usually look pretty nice. But, I don't care.
THIS ONE'S MINE, ALL MINE. LOL

Dan
04-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Another great hunt Don. That 2 cent piece is a really neat find, that Stewart gauges token/fob is sweet also.:thumbsup02:

Fire Fighter 43
04-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Congrats on your first 2 center, WTG.