PDA

View Full Version : Group Hunt(s) with Sam and Isaac: Seated silver and my 2nd oldest coin!!!!!

RIdirtdigger
04-02-2015, 06:00 PM
After school on Monday I headed to CT to meet up with Isaac, Sam and Sam’s friend to do some detecting at cellar holes and old houses. Isaac and Sam had already hit a few sites with Sam getting an Indian head, a sweet RI button and other things and Isaac getting a shoe buckle fragment and a flat button. Anyway after meeting up with the crew we headed to a cellar hole that Isaac discovered during research. Place was totally pounded but I
managed to pull out a spoon handle and a beautiful silver plated pewter button with the shank still intact. Really cool design as well. We only stayed at the cellar for a short time and then headed to some more cellars. Unfortunately there were too many people there and no parking spots :lolsign:We turned around and headed to an 18thcentury house Isaac had gotten permission to earlier in the day but the owners weren’t home. So we ended up getting permission at a 1700’s house. We could only do the front and side yards because we were not allowed to do the back yard. Unfortunately there was still snow covering a large portion of the side yard and there was also some terrible electrical interference in many areas. Changing the frequency on the detector did not help although some frequencies were quieter than others. I found an old compact, tobacco tin, and a thin piece of sterling silver on the sideyard of the left side of the house and then I then move to the side yard on the right side of the house. Less snow here but more frozen ground L . I get a high tone on the AT pro and manage to pull out a nice brass horse tact buckle after chopping through the frozen ground for 5 minutes. A little while later about 1.5 feetaway from the driveway I get a 61-71 signal about 2-3 inches down. The soil wasn’t frozen in the exact spot so I dig a hole and start searching for the target with my pinpointer. It wasn’t in the hole so I search the plug and get a small signal and then notice a very small silver disk. My first though was trime but then I see the words “Half Dime” on the reverse. I was bubbling with excitement!!!! I turn it over and see a Seated Liberty and a date of 1845!!!! Ihad just dug an 1845 Seated Liberty Half dime. My first seated, first halfdime, and oldest silver coin ever dug. Three firsts from one targets. Isaac,Sam, and Sam’s friend come running over after hearing my shouting. They couldn’t believe what I had just found. Not many targets after that but this was definitely one of my best finds ever. The next day Isaac and I headed out early to hit some spots in Rhode Island. The first site was an old cabin site with the only signs of it ever existing being an old well in the woods. It was a total failure too much snow and I couldn’t even find the well. We headed into southern RI to detect a cellar hole not on the maps and not totally obvious. It was a beautiful large colonial cellar hole with the center chimney ruins in the middle. Thr place was pounded though, and not by newbies either. Experienced detectorists hunted this place! Still we managed to get some signals. I got a lead thing and 2 clad quarters LOL and Isaac manages to pull out a copper. Its worn slick however and smaller than a large cent/half penny. Still it’s his 3rdcolonial copper. Congrats Isaac! We walk a little ways from the cellar and stumble about some cool stone walls and a very small and destroyed cellar hole.This place too has been pounded except for a few surface signals. I get a 56 trashy surface signal but I dig it anyway and am shocked when I pull out a thick copper from the hole. It rings up 79-80 as well. We assumed it was a draped bust at first (WRONG!!!). Isaac swings over the hole and gets another signal and pulls out a stainless steel trashy item. The copper was completely masked by a piece of trash!!!!! This was likely the reason why another detectorist missed that signal. A little while later I look at the coin and tell Isaac “It’s not a draped bust, I think it’s a CT copper” (WRONG AGAIN). IT turns out the coin is a 1700 King William III Halfpenny, my 3rd kingWilliam coin and my 2nd oldest coin ever. This coins got some great detail left on it, much more than my other King William coins. I couldn’t believe the luck I was having. What an amazing two days!!!!! We left the cellars and headed to a park to meet up with another detectorist. The park was totally hunted out but I did manage to pull out a musket or pistol ball possibly made of pewter. It’s heavy but definitely not made of lead. We headed back to CT to hit an extremely old house that Isaac had permission to but the owner wasn’t home. We hit another house nearby from the 1700’s that had been pounded by other detectorists. Nothing really left in the ground and it was beginning to get dark so I had to head back to RI. I had an amazing two days with some incredible finds. Thank you Isaac for inviting me to your sites! GL and HH everyone.

del
04-02-2015, 06:07 PM
very nice finds :congrats: great half dime :clapping:the silver or "tinned" pewter is in exceptional condition i hope it stays that way (pewter can dry out and crack , crumble around the edges) the William half penny actually looks like it has the 1699 date to me . Glad you guys got out together again. :perfect10:

Robbie
04-02-2015, 06:51 PM
nice, I love the silver half, (it`s on my list)

Pacivilwarluke
04-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Now that is a great hunt! That copper is incredibly old, congrats! I think del is right, looks like a 99!! :shocked03: I'm really interested in the RI button, they are one of my favorite state button designs, you should see if you can get a pic from your buddy! That 1845 seated is sweeeett! My first silver was actually an 1845 dime. Congrats again, can't wait to see what else you start finding now that the snow is melted!

Lodge Scent
04-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Nice bunch of finds! Congrats on the William III. Looks like a 1699 :congrats:

Isaac
04-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Congrats on all the finds!!! :)

I can't wait to find my first colonial copper with a smudge of detail. :girlcry:

I found only wheaties this whole time and that one completely toasted copper coin. Freakin' lucky dog! :envious::envious::envious::envious::envious::envi ous::envious::envious::envious::envious::envious:: envious::envious::envious::envious::envious::envio us::envious::envious::envious::envious::envious::e nvious::envious::envious::envious::envious::enviou s::envious::envious::envious::envious::envious::en vious::envious::envious::envious::envious::envious ::envious::envious::envious:

Congrats big time on those two awesome finds~!

Digger Don
04-02-2015, 10:52 PM
Wow, awesome bunch of finds you got there.
That half dime looks like new.:congrats:

OxShoeDrew
04-03-2015, 04:07 AM
:clapping:Now that's some digging! Someday I hope to find a seated half dime. Congrats on some special finds!

aloldstuff
04-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Some great hunting and finds. The William copper does look like 1699. Huge congrats on the 1/2 dime, looks to be in great shape.

Bell-Two
04-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Fantastic finds wow great Half Dime and wonderful Copper!

RIdirtdigger
04-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I appreciate them all!!!!!

The Rebel
04-06-2015, 06:24 PM
WTG on all of those finds! Love the William!

BTV Digger
04-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Wow, you really hit a variety of spots. Way to go on the finds...like them all. Still looking for a half dime myself..coin's in excellent condition.

John

BKM
05-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Really nice detail on that half-dime, great find.